Difficulty while refueling (pump shuts off prematurely)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2013 XC70 T6. Ever since acquiring this car used, filling the tank has been a royal PIA. I have to hold the pump nozzle and keep the flow rate quite low or else it just shuts off.

My quest is to better understand what's being shown in this picture? What is the component (bulge) in Refueling Vent Pipe? Could it be clogged?
      RefuelingVent.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

All of our C70s have been pretty finicky about re-fueling over the years. The new "safety" on the Costco pump nozzles won't likely help much.
      I don't have much to offer other than your pain is felt by other model owners. No problems with the XC40 so far(knock on wood).
      Current: 2020 XC40 T5 Glacier Silver '13 C70 Caspian Blue
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

Hopefully this thread will turn into something more than a "me too" collection point.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Do you always refuel at the same station or have you had this issue at multiple different gas stations?

The reason I ask is that, on my 2019 S60 I have this same issue, but only at the couple Sunoco stations nearby. Ive never once had this happen at Mobil or Shell, but literally every time at Sunoco. It must be something with their pump design that doesn’t quite jive with my Volvo.

And I have no idea what that bulge is on the vent pipe from the diagram you attached- maybe something for expansion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dpothier View Post
      Do you always refuel at the same station or have you had this issue at multiple different gas stations?

The reason I ask is that, on my 2019 S60 I have this same issue, but only at the couple Sunoco stations nearby. Ive never once had this happen at Mobil or Shell, but literally every time at Sunoco. It must be something with their pump design that doesn’t quite jive with my Volvo.

And I have no idea what that bulge is on the vent pipe from the diagram you attached- maybe something for expansion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I think the main variable between gas stations is pump flow rate. What shuts off the flow is a sensor attached to the vapor-recovery orifice on the side of the nozzle. Normally, fumes are sucked into this orifice (and returned to the underground tank). When liquid gasoline enters this orifice, a resistance to flow occurs registering as a blip in the vacuum sensor, causing the pump to cut out.

I'm chasing the theory that the vent path from fuel tank to the filler tube is clogged. This condition would cause air pressure to build up in the tank while fuel is flowing in. The air tries to escape, and starts to push back up the filler pipe as bubbles, and slowing the liquid fuel flow rate, pushing the liquid gas back up to the nozzle, as if the tank were full. The flow rate is reduced the same way an inverted soda container "chugs" out -- instead of flowing freely (as it does if you poke a vent hole).

Maybe a silly question-but have you tried kicking the fuel nozzle to the left or right to point the fuel in a different direction? The shut off tube on the pump nozzle is getting splashed with fuel. Try tipping the nozzle at various angles. I’ve had to do this with certain pumps as their flow rate must have been to high for the filler neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by paradoxicallymodified; 09-17-2020 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxicallymodified View Post
      Maybe a silly question-but have you tried kicking the fuel nozzle to the left or right to point the fuel in a different direction? The shut off tube on the pump nozzle is getting splashed with fuel. Try tipping the nozzle at various angles. I’ve had to do this with certain pumps as their flow rate must have been to high for the filler neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      I have. The only thing that works is feeding the fuel very slowly, much slower than the "low" setting on the nozzle handle trigger-lock.

Porsche 911 owners have been dealing with this for decades. We insert the fuel nozzle upside down. May be different for the water-pumpers.

Cool Filter FOUND (as shown in EVAP schematic)

I took a flashlight and looked down the fuel filler throat. The Refueling Vent Pipe "T"s into the throat just an inch or two from the throat flap, on the right side.

What I saw was: there is an orange plastic mesh filter plugged into the ~6mm orifice. So the engineer who drew the EVAP schematic HAD IT RIGHT -- there is a component in the Vent Pipe. It's not where shown in the drawing, but functionally present at the top opening.

This is potentially the breakthrough I've been looking for....This thread enters a new chapter.

Next I will spray clean this filter with fuel injection cleaner. Will be reporting back soon.

NOTE: If you can't find this vent pipe orifice, you have an older EVAP design (On-Board Vapor Recovery) design. The design addressed in this thread is EVR-Phase 2 (California standard) vehicles.
      Last edited by pbierre; 09-20-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Problem solved!!!

Having found a 6mm mesh filter at the opening of the Refueling Vent Pipe where it "T"s into the filler neck (see post above), I proceeded on the hunch that this filter was clogged on the side facing inside the vent pipe (since vented fumes hit the filter from that side). [ Getting a photo of the filter was not successful.] However, with a flashlight and a screwdriver to hold the 1" diameter throat flap open, you can see it.

I determined that Throttle Body Cleaner would be an acceptable cleanser, sprayed thru the plastic nozzle that comes with the can. The 4" plastic nozzle was about 2" too short, so I got some heat shrink tubing and made an extender (see photo below).

Try #1: (failed) I sprayed at the mesh filter for about 10 sec. Then, went to the gas station to try refueling. Ugh! No improvement.

Try #2 (WORKED) I got out my air compressor, dialed in 75 psi. This time, I sprayed a generous coating of Throttle Body Cleaner on the filter, then
      hit it with compressed air for about 30 sec. When I got to the gas station, I was able to set the pump handle on full-speed automatic -- and watch in delight as the tank filled lickety-split fast!

-----------------

I believe we now have a good cause-effect explanation, and a fairly simple, lo-cost DIY fix that can be done at the filler neck opening.

Be careful not to get the throttle cleaner fluid on the car body. And test the spray beforehand to make sure the plastic nozzle/extender is on solid!
      RefuelingVentCleanout.jpg

Schematic showing location of the Refueling Vent Pipe Filter -- when clogged, makes refueling difficult (pump wants to shut off prematurely).
      refuelingVentiPipeFilter.jpg
      Attached Files Attached Files
      Last edited by pbierre; 09-20-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Excellent sleuthing man! Will remember this one...
      09 XC70 T6 "Maxamoose"
      Many, many Miatas

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements