What is the lift gate made of?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

What is the lift gate made of?

I just realized that the lift gate on my 17 V90 CC isn't magnetic. It's seems to flex almost like plastic. What is it?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

2001+ v/xc70 used fiberglass - perhaps it's still the same

i thought all volvo tailgates were fiberglass, but recently someone pointed out the spa xc90 is magnetic. i know for a fact our xc60 and previous generation xc90 and xc70 tailgates are fiberglass and id assume most volvos were/are

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have 2018 V90. Tapping the tailgate with my fingernail, there is a definite difference from the metallic sound when tapping a side panel. I'm guessing it is fiberglass. I wash and wax my cars, so was immediately aware that the wind deflector across the top was non-metallic, but I hadn't considered that the entire tailgate is, as well.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
      I have 2018 V90. Tapping the tailgate with my fingernail, there is a definite difference from the metallic sound when tapping a side panel. I'm guessing it is fiberglass. I wash and wax my cars, so was immediately aware that the wind deflector across the top was non-metallic, but I hadn't considered that the entire tailgate is, as well.
      Thanks for confirming this - I also hand wash and wax the vehicles and noticed this too. I used to have a 2008 V70 and definitely the top of the gate/roof part did not seem metallic. I can't speak for the rest of the gate though for that year.

I'm not aware of fiberglass in the last 20 years being used in a tailgate. Different models and different years have meant a lot of combinations over the years, but fiberglass has not been one of them. Just look at any rear end collision photo or crash test footage. Some parts have been made from a plastic or composite material, but the bulk of the tailgate is aluminum on a majority of the designs. This is because it is light weight yet stiff, and it is also rust-resistant on a part of the car that often sees rust develop at the lower area.

Sometimes styling required a right angle on a trunk lid or a sharp curve at the top, and the ability to stamp aluminum and not have it crack (before today's improved technology) required plastic/composite areas to create the shape designers were looking for (the P2 S60 trunk lid is a great example). Also there was the ease of integrating other components into the car (like a 3rd brake light or a spoiler mounting point). I'm sure your V90 has an aluminum tailgate. It may not be steel, but it is metal.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoFaRmeR View Post
      I'm not aware of fiberglass in the last 20 years being used in a tailgate. Different models and different years have meant a lot of combinations over the years, but fiberglass has not been one of them. Just look at any rear end collision photo or crash test footage. Some parts have been made from a plastic or composite material, but the bulk of the tailgate is aluminum on a majority of the designs. This is because it is light weight yet stiff, and it is also rust-resistant on a part of the car that often sees rust develop at the lower area.

Sometimes styling required a right angle on a trunk lid or a sharp curve at the top, and the ability to stamp aluminum and not have it crack (before today's improved technology) required plastic/composite areas to create the shape designers were looking for (the P2 S60 trunk lid is a great example). Also there was the ease of integrating other components into the car (like a 3rd brake light or a spoiler mounting point). I'm sure your V90 has an aluminum tailgate. It may not be steel, but it is metal.
      ive seen the fiberglass strands when first generation xc90 pull lift arm mount balls out of the tailgate. it looks like any other fiberglass ive seen. i also had a customer recently tear chunks out of her roof spoiler on a 19 xc60, again looked exactly like broken fiberglass and we found out the hard way the roof spoiler is one piece with the tailgate on her car. ouch.

looking closer, it is not traditional fiberglass, but fiber reinforced plastic of some sort but i guess were both kinda right. not metal though maybe except for spa xc90? hmmm.
      Last edited by brich999; 09-17-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoFaRmeR View Post

Having had several Volvo wagons over the years, I can tell you that the outer shell of the tailgate on the P2 V70 2001-2007) was a fiberglass type material. I know this because we backed into something and damaged the edge. I do not remember what the frame was made of.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

My V90 lift gate is not magnetic but front fenders are not magnetic either and I don’t think they are fiberglass, it’s probably aluminum. My former (2015)V60 lift gate was magnetic

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements