WRITEUP: Everything P2 Manual Swaps
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Arrow WRITEUP: Everything P2 Manual Swaps

P2 Manual Swap basics

Since doing my XC70 manual swap, I've been getting a lot of questions on social media platforms as well as Swedespeed. I decided to prepare a document of sorts on the basics. This applies to S60 01-09, S60R 04-07, V70 01-07, V70R 04-07, and XC70 01-07. I will not be speaking about more oddball swaps like XC90s or S80s.

I posted this in the R section because I think it is most applicable at this point in time, but I will be cross posting it in a thread in the XC70 forum. Feel free to move it to a more broad section.

I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the transmission R&R procedure for your specific vehicle. If you feel uncomfortable doing heavy line work, I wouldn't recommend going down this road. This is quite an involved swap, and while not necessarily "hard", you could easily cause yourself some problems.

I would also suggest buying a whole parts car if this is your first swap, it's really nice to have a factory manual car to reference, it also makes acquiring all the parts easier.

I'm not going to speak about the actual process of installing things like the transmission, this should be fairly straightforward if you are considering doing this swap yourself at home. I might explore doing a video on this part at some point.

I recommend watching Julien's video, he did a pretty good job at going over the basics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ctpUJsppE

What you need

1. Manual transmission, this can be any number of units depending on application
      • M66 AWD (for AWD applications) - can be sourced from S60R/V70R, or in some cases S40/V50 T5 AWD with some modifications
      • M58 AWD (for AWD applications) - Basically impossible to find in the states, was an option in other countries for XC70s.
      • M66 FWD - Can be found in 05+ S60/V70 T5 and some P1 cars (these have different ratios and will require different cables and shift lever on top of the trans)
      • M56 FWD - Can be found in base model S60s 01-04, and S60 T5s 01-04

2. Shifter, cables, and pedal box
      • These can be sourced from ANY P2 manual car, you can opt for whatever style you want, boot, spaceball... whatever you prefer, the assembly is all the same

3. Clutch pedal position sensor pigtail
      • On your new pedal box is a clutch pedal position sensor, you will need to wire this into the ECM of the car, make sure you get the pigtail from a parts car or make one. This sounds more complicated than it really is.

4. Clutch master cylinder and slave line
      • You can buy this new, or used. This will bolt right into the firewall via a knockout plate. You also will need the line that runs down the fender and runs into the side of the trans to the internal slave.

5. Axles
      • For stock ride height XC70s, you will need to make your own axles out of some different parts, @Chilled Man has a good how to on this. https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Axles-Q-and-A
      • Lowered XC70s using BC coilovers and normal V70 control arms will run on normal P2 manual axles fine
      • All other P2s should not require any modification, the axles you got with your parts car or from some other source will work. They must be manual axles.

6. New clutch and flywheel kit
      • Because of the self adjustment mechanism, I would recommend opting for a new clutch kit even if it's not worn unless you have access to the proper tools to reset the pressure plate mechanism. A volvo dealer might do this for you for a small fee.
      • I would also suggest a new flywheel, I went with a SPEC single mass from VIVA.

7. Various consumables like oil and lots of brake parts cleaner
      • Any GL4 compliant 75w-90 will work, do not use GL5.

Pedals / Clutch Master / Cables
      You need to swap the whole pedal box, which includes the brake and clutch pedal. There are two-three bolts holding it from the bottom, and two at the very top behind the gauge cluster. On my 2004 I found it impossible to get to the top bolts without removing the whole dash, some people have been able to do it just by removing the cluster.

This is also a good time to install the clutch master, it resides directly under the brake booster. You will need to remove/move the ABS module/BCM to install this. There is already a hole in the firewall from the factory with an access port, simply take the bolts loose and knock it out. There is a line that runs from the master, along the frame rail, over to the front of the trans.

For the cables, this is actually pretty easy, especially with the trans out. Just unbolt the automatic cables from the firewall and pull them through, you can just unbolt the automatic gear shifter once you get the cable out. The manual shifter and cables take their place perfectly.

Wiring & Electrical

Clutch Pedal Sensor
      This is not overly complicated, but a lot of people struggle with this part. On ALL model years, you will need to wire in your clutch pedal position sensor. Remove the wiper cowl and wiper transmission, under it you will find a cover for your CEM. You will want to run two wires up through there from the pedal position sensor (you're gonna need a decent amount of wire). You will run these wires from the left side of the cowl, all the way over to the right then down into the ECM box. You will then need to take apart the ECM connector and splice the brown wire from the pedal sensor into pin B:4, DO NOT cut and repin this wire as it runs other things, just splice into it. For the black wire on pin B:15 you will need to solder a new pin pigtail to it and insert it in pin B:15. This applies for every turbo P2, the pinouts to the ECM should be the same regardless of year.

Start inhibitor
      On 2004 and below cars, this is very simple, you can remove your TCM and solder the green and white wires together to bridge the network. Then you can go over to your transmission harness under the air box and find the yellow, blue, and yellow/blue wires, they should all be on one connector. Cut these wires and connect them to ground, this will trick the car to thinking it's in park, allowing it to start.

For 2005+ cars, this gets a little sticky, for S60Rs/V70Rs with the TF80, you can pull your TCM off the trans, and set the keyway to position "P" or "N" manually, this will accomplish the same thing and allow the car to start. This method is slightly more hacky, and I recommend that any 2005+ owners have their CEM reprogrammed by Hilton or some other outfit. I believe 2005+ models with the AW55 will have to resort to CEM reprogramming to even enable starting, but I'm not sure. I may explore this later.

Reverse lights
      On my 2004, I opted to run a wire from the reverse sensor on the trans all the way back to the reverse lights, and power it via switched power so I can park the car in reverse without it keeping my lights on.

For 2005+, you should wire them in properly following the wiring diagram for your model year, then get the CEM reprogrammed for manual. I will look into this more and provide a basic how to

Tuning
      Regardless of model year, at the bare minimum you will need an ECM conversion. Hilton charges $100 for this service, and without it you will not have a fun time. These cars use electronic throttle bodies, and the input from the clutch pedal sensor allows the ECM to actuate the throttle a tiny bit so you don't stall the car out (easier than you think without the clutch sensor input). This is not an auto rev-matching feature like that of the Focus RS. The fuel maps are also slightly different for automatic shift points.

As I've said before, if you own a 2005+ car I would highly recommend the CEM conversion as well. The network in these cars is designed different, and it is much less "hackable" than the prior design. Many people report shifting issues on these newer cars because the CEM controls so much more.

I think I covered most of the main points, but I will update this thread as I have more time and think of different stuff.
      Last edited by LukeFlynn; 09-15-2020 at 09:02 PM.
      '04 XC70 | Silver Metallic/Nordkap 220K | Shimmed B5254T2 | K24 | M66 w/ SPEC single mass | EST Sport catback | Elevate sways | BC Coilovers | Hilton Stage 3 Tune
      '13 C30 T5M | Black Stone/Black | 135K | Stock

Past - 09 S40 2.4I, 04 S60R M66
      Instagram - @boostedxc

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Really good stuff here!

For future searchers, here is a link to my wiring how-to for more information as I know it’s complicated for some to do and make it easier to see how others fixed issues you (future searchers) might run accross

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Wiring-How-To
      // '06 S60R M66 | Magic Blue | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Stage 2.25 | Literally all the mods | MY BUILD THREAD
      /// '20 V90 R-design | Bursting Blue | Advanced | 4C Air

Quote Originally Posted by MvI_S60R View Post
      Really good stuff here!

For future searchers, here is a link to my wiring how-to for more information as I know it’s complicated for some to do and make it easier to see how others fixed issues you (future searchers) might run accross

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Wiring-How-To
      I meant to link your thread and I forgot! Thanks for posting here, this will be very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '04 XC70 | Silver Metallic/Nordkap 220K | Shimmed B5254T2 | K24 | M66 w/ SPEC single mass | EST Sport catback | Elevate sways | BC Coilovers | Hilton Stage 3 Tune
      '13 C30 T5M | Black Stone/Black | 135K | Stock

Past - 09 S40 2.4I, 04 S60R M66
      Instagram - @boostedxc

Nice write-up, thanks
      2004 S60R-Flash Green/Gobi
      2006 V70 NA manual-Willow Green/Taupe
      1999 V70 NA manual-Nautic Blue/Graphite V70R interior swap
      1996 855 Turbo-Polar White/Graphite
      1996 854 GLT NA manual-Red/Black
      1994 854 Turbo-Red/Black
      2016 Ford Fiesta ST-Kona Blue-Dizzy Stage 2

6. Remove Advertisements