A Keyless Entry Story...
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

A Keyless Entry Story...

This one's a doozy.

I went for a tiny road trip today (just driving around in-state on a beautiful September day).

The car unlocked and ran normally for me for the first 90 minutes. At that point, I stopped for gas, and I wasn't able to lock the car. Normally, I press the indent on the driver's handle to lock the door. No luck. So I tried the lock button on the keyfob, still no luck. Then I tried opening the trunk, and using the "close and lock" button. Still nothing.

Feeling exceptionally clever at this point (and not wanting to leave my car unsecured while I went into the convenience store), I pulled up the Volvo On Call app and used the app to lock the car. Success!

===

Five minutes later, I come out from the store, and the car won't unlock. Can't use the sensor plate on the underside of the door handle. Can't use the unlock button on the remote. Using the iOS app tells me that it has unlocked the trunk, but pressing the trunk release does nothing.

I know Volvo provides me with a key blade inside the keyfob for just such an incident. So I slide apart the key fob, and take the blade out. I insert it into the hidden cylinder under the driver's door handle. I turn it up, nothing. I turn it down, nothing. I turn it down, I turn it up, nothing. Now I may be starting to panic.

As a last resort, I pop open the other half of the key fob, remove the battery cover, remove the battery, and re-seat it. Somehow, *this* is the thing that fixes it. You work in technology long enough, sometimes the answer really is, "did you unplug it and plug it back in?"

Just to be safe, I replaced the battery in the fob, and my mini road trip was able to continue without further trouble.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jardeon View Post
      This one's a doozy.

I went for a tiny road trip today (just driving around in-state on a beautiful September day).

The car unlocked and ran normally for me for the first 90 minutes. At that point, I stopped for gas, and I wasn't able to lock the car. Normally, I press the indent on the driver's handle to lock the door. No luck. So I tried the lock button on the keyfob, still no luck. Then I tried opening the trunk, and using the "close and lock" button. Still nothing.

Feeling exceptionally clever at this point (and not wanting to leave my car unsecured while I went into the convenience store), I pulled up the Volvo On Call app and used the app to lock the car. Success!

===

Five minutes later, I come out from the store, and the car won't unlock. Can't use the sensor plate on the underside of the door handle. Can't use the unlock button on the remote. Using the iOS app tells me that it has unlocked the trunk, but pressing the trunk release does nothing.

I know Volvo provides me with a key blade inside the keyfob for just such an incident. So I slide apart the key fob, and take the blade out. I insert it into the hidden cylinder under the driver's door handle. I turn it up, nothing. I turn it down, nothing. I turn it down, I turn it up, nothing. Now I may be starting to panic.

As a last resort, I pop open the other half of the key fob, remove the battery cover, remove the battery, and re-seat it. Somehow, *this* is the thing that fixes it. You work in technology long enough, sometimes the answer really is, "did you unplug it and plug it back in?"

Just to be safe, I replaced the battery in the fob, and my mini road trip was able to continue without further trouble.
      Wow so the key blade in the door requires the key fob be powered? So how does this work if the car battery is dead I wonder.
      2006 XC70 76k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Tacoma 14k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2007 XC70 65k - Black Stone/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2017 Miata RF GT 7k - Grey/Black
      2020 V90CC 1.9K - Osmium Gray/Maroon Brown - "Storm" | 2019 Honda Pilot 49K - Black/Black - "Toaster" - OpenPilot Development Guinea Pig
      Previous: 2013 XC70 | 2005 XC70 | 2005 V70 | 2007 XC70 | 2006 V70R | 1990 740 | 2019 XC90 | 2018 V90CC

Quote Originally Posted by skywolf View Post
      Wow so the key blade in the door requires the key fob be powered? So how does this work if the car battery is dead I wonder.
      I have no idea; I really thought the point of the keyblade was that it was a mechanical release for the door lock. I don't know if it was getting confused by having a half-powered key fob in close proximity. Now that things are back to normal, I should try locking my car, putting the fob back in the house, and seeing if the blade unlocks the door without the fob in the vicinity.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jardeon View Post
      I have no idea; I really thought the point of the keyblade was that it was a mechanical release for the door lock. I don't know if it was getting confused by having a half-powered key fob in close proximity. Now that things are back to normal, I should try locking my car, putting the fob back in the house, and seeing if the blade unlocks the door without the fob in the vicinity.
      That’s what I thought.
      2006 XC70 76k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Tacoma 14k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2007 XC70 65k - Black Stone/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2017 Miata RF GT 7k - Grey/Black
      2020 V90CC 1.9K - Osmium Gray/Maroon Brown - "Storm" | 2019 Honda Pilot 49K - Black/Black - "Toaster" - OpenPilot Development Guinea Pig
      Previous: 2013 XC70 | 2005 XC70 | 2005 V70 | 2007 XC70 | 2006 V70R | 1990 740 | 2019 XC90 | 2018 V90CC

Yeah I faced a similar issue. The battery is usually bad but it doesn't illuminate the low key battery in the instrument.

Also, if you have a magnet in your phone case make sure the key is always in the other bucket. The magnet affect the workability of the key heavily.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Thanks for relating this story! You may have just saved one of us from having to pay for a tow and the inconvenience of an interrupted trip. Its these kind of things that make an enthusiasts forum worthwhile!!
      Current garage ....2017 S90 Inscription, 2018 Mercedes S63 Renntech tune 673 h.p., 2012 Sprinter van, 2018 VW Golf R APR stage 1. I am a car nut from WAAAAY back! Previously 2014 A8 SWB 4.0, 2013 E550, 2012 S550, 2010 E350 wagon, 2008 Audi S8. 39 Buick, 33 Nash coupe, 66 Comet, 67 Fairlane

Quote Originally Posted by skywolf View Post
      My car was locked, i removed the key from the fob and took the fob to the barn (200' away). The key unlocked the door. Busted

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements