2005-2007 XC70 build.....Theory and operation....
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 8 of 8
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Location
      Manville, NJ
      Posts
      20

      2005-2007 XC70 build.....Theory and operation....

      I know, why start modding when I don't own the car yet?! I'm a car nut and have to modify ANYTHING I drive.

      SO what I know so far:

      XC70's come with the low pressure turbo and a decent torque curve.
      These engines respond well to exhaust mods.

      What I am unsure of in my searching:

      I can get a ball park power level to R spec with bolt ons and a tune

      "stage 2" uses stock engine/injectors/turbo but works best with intercooler/downpipe-back and intake/intercooling piping; a power level just shy of R models

      "stage 3" adds above and the modified turbo/injectors/maf etc. and a power level over R spec models

      ALL above mods will be on an automatic trans so I expect a "power limiting" effect on 1st/2nd gears

      Now for suspension. I know nothing, but this is what I gather:

      To "lift" XC70 I can use XC90 struts/springs/perches in front spacer in rear

      I can use xc70 struts as donor shell and add Koni inserts/ then stock springs/perches etc.

      I can get "lift kit spacers"

      My goal is to stay close to stock ride height but to have a "Bilstein HD" ride quality

      I know to stage "0" first. The post purchase list for the vehicle, depending on documented repairs (estimated 120-150k miles)

      -spark plugs
      -all filters
      -all fluids/trans/synthetic engine oil(0w40/5w40)
      -Haldex service
      -pcv system
      -O2 sensors(both)
      -timing belt with tensioner/idler pulleys
      -water pump-if no coolant service performed
      -maybe thermostat/housing assy?
      -serpentine belt
      -engine mounts as needed
      -brakes/tires other maint. as needed

      Anything else I'm missing?

      (this is my first forray into Volvo, but Subaru's share a LOT of the same concepts)

      Wes

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      779
      Flush cooling system with something like Liqui Moly 2051. Twice

      Huge transmission cooler with inline magnetic filter.

      Inline filter in the steering rack return line + heat shield for the rack (need to modify the one from FWD models).

      Ideally, stage 0 the engine (take it apart, clean, reseat, replace rings and bearings)

      This engine is hot, you may want to add hood louvers. I'm doing that after I fix my burnt valve.

      If you want hard cornering, you need to drop the pan and replace the oil pickup tube with the plastic version - it goes deeper in the oil. Actually, drop it anyways just for cleaning and new O-rings that dry up and may cause a fatal oil pressure loss.
      05 XC70, 16 XC60 T5, 19 Tundra

    4. #3
      Senior Member ScottishBrick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2014
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      15,642
      Brakes. Upgrade the brakes.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 209k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 303k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 245k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      779
      Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      Brakes. Upgrade the brakes.
      That would be retrofitting a brake booster from V50, right? The stock P2's brake booster is incapable of moving even the stock brake pistons.
      05 XC70, 16 XC60 T5, 19 Tundra

    7. #5
      Senior Member ScottishBrick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2014
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      15,642
      Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
      That would be retrofitting a brake booster from V50, right? The stock P2's brake booster is incapable of moving even the stock brake pistons.
      No. At least 305mm t5 or later 316mm t5 (xc90) brakes. Or go strait to Brembos.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 209k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 303k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 245k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

    8. #6
      Member Antherzoll's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      5,031
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?p=2285396


      ....pretty much.

      The engine can handle a bigger turbo if you're looking for more power. Also do yourself a favour and delete the torque limiter for the automatic transmission. Mine has been running with the delete since 2013, just install a cooler and keep on top of your fluid service.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Location
      Manville, NJ
      Posts
      20
      Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?p=2285396


      ....pretty much.

      The engine can handle a bigger turbo if you're looking for more power. Also do yourself a favour and delete the torque limiter for the automatic transmission. Mine has been running with the delete since 2013, just install a cooler and keep on top of your fluid service.
      I assume you mean to use a bigger turbo WITH a tune, and that the stock engine internals can handle it. I need to drive one of these first before I jump right into modding. I think I'd be ok for a while before getting too carried away. After all my commute to work is 1 mile each way for the week.

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Location
      Manville, NJ
      Posts
      20
      Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
      Flush cooling system with something like Liqui Moly 2051. Twice

      Huge transmission cooler with inline magnetic filter.

      Inline filter in the steering rack return line + heat shield for the rack (need to modify the one from FWD models).

      Ideally, stage 0 the engine (take it apart, clean, reseat, replace rings and bearings)

      This engine is hot, you may want to add hood louvers. I'm doing that after I fix my burnt valve.

      If you want hard cornering, you need to drop the pan and replace the oil pickup tube with the plastic version - it goes deeper in the oil. Actually, drop it anyways just for cleaning and new O-rings that dry up and may cause a fatal oil pressure loss.
      I need to hold off on the engine build on the Volvo. Sounds like stage 0 and tune on stock parts only for the time being. I have a 67 Ford County Sedan that I've been putting off the engine build on. I want that one done first. (the reason for me looking for a Volvo in the first place) My Ford has the 390 CI FE (Ford/Edsel) engine and C6 trans. I plan on building the engine with a stroker kit, aluminum top end, mild to mid performance (hydraulic flat tappet) cam 4v carb. The goal is 445CI and 450-500 HP in my 5000lb wagon.

    11. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. 04 S60R throwing codes update and theory...
      By aRizona in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 06-30-2018, 10:07 AM
    2. P4 xc70 p4 xc70 p4 xc70 p4 xc70 p4 xc70
      By CrossingCountries in forum V70 & XC70 (2008 - 2016)
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 10-09-2015, 11:21 AM
    3. New A/C issue theory...2005 S40i
      By SnowSick in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 07-14-2015, 08:16 PM
    4. Shifter Operation - Is this Normal Operation?
      By BrianV in forum XC60 (2010 - 2017)
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 04-18-2013, 10:14 PM
    5. fwd and awd - are they the same in theory?
      By ig88d in forum XC60 (2010 - 2017)
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 05-25-2011, 11:11 PM