S60 Rear Trunk Lid Spoiler Questions
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

S60 Rear Trunk Lid Spoiler Questions

Hey everyone,

I have a 2015 S60 T6 RD Platinum. Recently, I was bored browsing the forums and I ran across a few pictures of P3 S60's that had what appeared to be a "ducktail" style rear spoiler. So, through my internet searching, I found about 3 options.

Option 1: Buy the Viva Polestar Rear Spoiler for quite the pretty penny, and spend even more getting it paint matched.
      Response: Not my cup of tea, I'm not looking to spend over a grand for a cosmetic mod like a spoiler.

Option 2: Buy the 2011-2013 rear trunk lid spoiler that is not necessarily a "ducktail" style, but is more aggressive and better looking IMO than the whimpy one that's on my car currently. Also, it seems that quite a few Volvo part outlet sites carry these, and I could order it already painted to match the current color of my car (Crystal White Pearl, color code 707).
      Response: This is an attractive option, especially for the price that I could find the new painted spoilers at ($250-300), but if I'm not mistaken, the earlier style spoilers has different mounting positions than the later years do, and I REALLY do not want to have to drill into the car to mount the spoiler.

Option 3: Ebay. There is a nice looking ducktail style spoiler (unpainted) for about $170 from good ol' Taiwan. The painted versions only cost about $40-50 more, but I have very low confidence in some Taiwan facility accurately matching a tricoat pearl/metallic paint, nonetheless white especially, so if I did go this option, I would have a body shop paint it.
      Response: I really do like the appearance of these style spoilers, and another plus is that these are just mounted with double sided tape, so no permanent damage if I didn't like it/wanted to go back. I also understand that these are obviously replicated fiberglass plastic, but with something as dimensionally simple as a stick on spoiler, I can't imagine there being too many issues with proper fitment.

With that laid out, it brings me to the few questions I have.
      1. Has anyone ever ordered one of these Taiwan knockoff spoilers? If so, any issues with it?
      2. If I did go the ebay route, I would also probably order the polestar front winglets and get both items painted to match at the same time. Does anyone have even a general idea of what the cost to paint these items would be with a tricoat metallic paint? I know it will vary by shop, but just looking for ballpark estimates.
      3. Any options I am missing? I'm not 100% set on anything yet, but I really would like to add some details to my car so it doesn't just look like any other average P3 S60 that rolls down the road. Rims are on my list, but I put brand new tires on the car when I bought it a year ago and I told myself I'd wait til those wear before dumping a large amount of money into wheels and tires.
      Current: 2015 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design Platinum (Polestar Tuned)

Previous: 2006 S60 T5 M66 (1 of 79 for '06).
      2002 S60 T5 M56

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Now i didn't want to leak this out because i'm wanting it for myself. But Erie Vo-Vo has a good priced one that is fairly lowkey. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-OEM-B...item3669fdf5e4 . Also OEM Spec! Just an example of a cost. They have a few other ones listed with different colors I just have this one saved as it matches my car. For sure check them out to see if they have something that may work for ya!
      2013 Volvo S60 T5 AWD/Elevate Air Intake/Snaab Turbo Intake/Muffler Delete/Rear Window Spoiler/OEM Rear Trunk Spoiler/RDesign Strut Brace/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrq...Xq2GvilC4BiKQ?

There are no mounting holes for the spoiler. It is held on by 3M tape and butyl rubber.

2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      There are no mounting holes for the spoiler. It is held on by 3M tape and butyl rubber.
      Hmmm, that's interesting. I obviously believe you since it's apparent you've done the work, but I also ran across multiple ads for the 11-13 style spoiler that said "drilling required" and that some of the included hardware was "two bolts." But now, looking back, it seems I was probably seeing that on ebay ads for that style spoiler as well, so god only knows what they are including the bolts for and why they state drilling is required.

I see that you own a 2012, and its obvious from the pictures that there are no holes from bolts. Can you (or anyone) confirm that it's the same case for the factory MY 2014+ spoiler? That was another reason for creating this post, to hopefully learn how the factory later year spoilers mount and what is the best way to remove it.

2002 S60 T5 M56

The process is universal for all P3 S60's.

Here is the official installation manual.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...C-412733-1/S60
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelz1161 View Post
      Can you (or anyone) confirm that it's the same case for the factory MY 2014+ spoiler? That was another reason for creating this post, to hopefully learn how the factory later year spoilers mount and what is the best way to remove it.
      There are no holes on the 2014+ models. I would stay away from any ebay spoiler that says you need to drill.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

I have the Elevate rear spoiler on my S60CC:
      https://www.elevatecars.com/store/vo...2010-2018.html

It is a clone of the large Polestar rear spoiler. Its the largest OEM looking setup available.

The 2018 S60 Polestar added a carbon fiber extension that, according to Polestar testing, adds downforce.

2016 V60CC Platinum | Beechwood Brown interior swap |
      2016 S60CC Platinum with lowered sport chassis | Polestar Performance Springs |
      20-inch Cratus wheels | Elevate GT5 Exhaust, rear sway bar, brake lines, rear spoiler
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)

Previous:
      2017 S90 Inscription T6 AWD, 2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

Thanks for the info and help everyone!

I definitely will not be ordering any spoiler that states drilling is required, but thankfully, the ducktail one I have my eye on (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unpainted-V...r/173857639188) is one that simply uses double sided tape. Before I do anything though, I want to at least try to get an estimate of what paint would cost for the spoiler and the polestar front winglets, but knowing what I do now, I'm a little more confident going into something like this.

2002 S60 T5 M56

You know you can buy the larger, pre-painted spoiler from Volvo directly, right? They run $272 + shipping (from Tascaparts.com)
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      You know you can buy the larger, pre-painted spoiler from Volvo directly, right? They run $272 + shipping (from Tascaparts.com)
      Yes, I do. That's what I was referring to in my OP for option #2. While the ease of that option is really appealing, if I order the front polestar winglets like I intend to, I'm going to need them painted anyway, and I personally do like the bit of length extension on the ducktail spoilers vs the 11-13 style spoilers, although either would be an upgrade for me over the small one on the car now. I figure if I'm going to need stuff professionally painted anyway, mine as well go with the the option that I like the look of more, even if its ever so slightly.

With that being said though, I still have yet to try and call around to get paint estimates. So if I go and do that and get outrageous estimates, then I very well might go with the factory pre-painted spoiler and just forget about the winglets for now.

2002 S60 T5 M56

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelz1161 View Post
      Yes, I do. That's what I was referring to in my OP for option #2. While the ease of that option is really appealing, if I order the front polestar winglets like I intend to, I'm going to need them painted anyway, and I personally do like the bit of length extension on the ducktail spoilers vs the 11-13 style spoilers, although either would be an upgrade for me over the small one on the car now. I figure if I'm going to need stuff professionally painted anyway, mine as well go with the the option that I like the look of more, even if its ever so slightly.

With that being said though, I still have yet to try and call around to get paint estimates. So if I go and do that and get outrageous estimates, then I very well might go with the factory pre-painted spoiler and just forget about the winglets for now.
      Sorry, I missed that in your OP! FWIW, I had my Polestar winglets painted for something like $125 cash.
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

I've thought about ordering the Taiwan pre-painted one off eBay as well, other people have said the color match is good, I really wonder if they could match the Crystal White Pearl. I want that ducktail sooo bad lol
      2015 Crystal White Pearl S60 T6 R-Design
      KPAX Catback Exhaust
      Powerflex Torque Rod Insert
      IPD Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks
      18" Polestar Replicas

Do you have a link to that? It's bigger than the Elevate one?
      Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Do you have a link to that? It's bigger than the Elevate one?
      No, it's the middle sized one: https://www.tascaparts.com/v-2015-vo...rior--spoilers

Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

Well, for anyone who is curious, I just put in an order today for the ducktail style spoiler that comes prepainted to whatever color code you specify from eBay. I originally did not intend on getting a prepainted one at all, but I messaged the seller and they seemed to think the tricoat white pearl shouldn't be an issue. Not only that, I wasn't a huge fan of the paint quotes I was getting locally (anywhere from $500-700, which to be fair, I expected $300-500 but I wasn't expecting my max guess to be the minimum I would pay for paint for the winglets and the spoiler). Worse comes to worse, if it doesn't match, I send them pictures and get a refund or something. I also searched for a reputable eBay seller that was offering this item, and I did find one with 98.7% positive reviews and had 4000+ reviews and has been a member for over 10 years, so hopefully that helps too.

Since I'm getting this prepainted, I decided to hold off a little while longer on the front bumper winglets. If the spoiler goes well though, the front bumper winglets can be something for next spring.

2002 S60 T5 M56

Be sure to post again here to let us see how it turned out.
      2016 S60 T5 Cross Country

I just went this route with the spoiler i linked last night. The 3M tape and Butyl Sealant Holds it on there tight! As soon as i got it placed it wasn't moving anywhere. Letting it sit for 24 hours since i'm not gonna drive it till later this evening. Don't mind the dirty car! Rain and construction nearby attracts a lot of dust.
      2013 Volvo S60 T5 AWD/Elevate Air Intake/Snaab Turbo Intake/Muffler Delete/Rear Window Spoiler/OEM Rear Trunk Spoiler/RDesign Strut Brace/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrq...Xq2GvilC4BiKQ?

Update:

Just received the painted ducktail spoiler in the mail today, a lot sooner than the October 28th expected delivery. Shipping was in a nice heavy duty, fragile marked box, completely undamaged (surprising, especially for international shipping), and the spoiler was well protected wrapped in foam paper. In total, it only took 8 days for my order to go in and for it to get painted, and then shipped from Taiwan, to places around China, to US customs, and then to me in Michigan. Maybe they keep stock of each color?

The spoiler itself seems to be of really high quality. It honestly feels like it would be the type of plastic build that an OEM part would be, and not a cheap fiberglass knockoff part. For what I paid for the pre-painted part ($200), I was pleasantly surprised and quite happy.

The paint looked to be quite a great match, something I can't say I was necessarily expecting. I held it up to my car, and the ONLY two things I noticed were that it seemed to be a very small bit brighter of a white, but a part of that can probably be attributed to the car not being washed/clean. I wiped down an area to match clean paint from, and its veryyy close, although the spoiler still might be a tad bit brighter from it being a newly painted part compared to 5-6 year old paint on the car. You'd be hard pressed to notice that without specifically looking for it, especially in bright sunlight, and not in a dimly lit garage where brightness stands out more. The other thing I noticed is orange peel. Now, don't get me wrong, its not bad at all. I've seen factory painted cars come out with about as much orange peel as the spoiler has. I only noticed this and mentioned it because the trunk on my car has virtually no orange peel, so it did make the orange peel on the spoiler a tad bit more noticeable. If this comes to bother me, I'm sure a quick round of cutting compound will cut most of that back (which I'm not doing until I know the paint has fully cured on the spoiler, just in case that was recently).

Now I just have to find the time (and a heat gun, unless the trusty hair dryer proves to be enough) to get the old one off, clean the trunk lid very well, and stick this one on. Fitment doesn't seem as it will be any sort of issue at all. If anyone cares or wants one from the same, reliable supplier (and at the lowest price I found), his eBay name was cqicqi.

If I figure out how to post pictures since my old and trusty photobucket method isn't liable anymore, I'll try to post some after I install it.
      Last edited by Jewelz1161; 09-28-2020 at 10:49 PM.

2002 S60 T5 M56

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements