2016 XC90 AT&T sim card?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2016 XC90 AT&T sim card?

Hi,
      I just bought a used 2016 XC90 T6 and I am having a heck of a time finding out where to get a sim card to install in the modem to sign up for and use the AT&T data service in the car. I have called AT&T connect or whatever their car data service is and they insist I have to get it from Volvo. I called my local dealer and described what I needed, had it shipped to my house and ended up with a "saddle" which is the sim card holder that goes inside the modem.

I figured an AT&T prepaid/postpaid data sim.card like you use in their tablets would work but neither AT&T nor my dealer can give any info. Is this rocket science to install a sim.and turn the modem on in Sensus so I can then login to AT&T and sign up for their $20 a month data service. Verizon whom I have for my phones limits my hotspot data so that is out for now.

Target has AT&T data sims for $9.99
      I figured that would work but wanted to check and see with the community before I waste $10.

Thanks in advance, I searched but just got home from.having knee surgery so my search skills must be a little off.

Thank you,

Robert

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I thought regardless of the year model, all SPA xc90 (assuming you're in the US) has an at&t sim card physically in the slot. So, when you try to use the data intensive app, there will be a way to interact with providing email etc. to start the service.

If you need to check whether a sim card is physically there or not, you can get to it from the rear cargo area. Open the underfloor panel, and the sim card holder should be on the right side. It should be the same with what you described as the "saddle" you received. Making sure it is the correct type (e.g. nano vs micro sim) is a good idea. I've never opened it to inspect what type it is.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

Well, where I bought it used the original owner had purchased it in Sweden or is it Denmark?? Post anesthesia. No memory. Anyway, he bought it from the factory there while working in Germany and shipped it here later when he moved back. He said that to the best of his knowledge it never came with one. Thus the dilemma. I checked the modem in back and the saddle sim holder is empty.

I saw posts where people tried t mobile sims and it worked but wanted to go the AT&T route and they are referring me to dealer who has no idea, at least when speaking with parts department.

Thanks for the reply,

Robert

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

2016 XC90 AT&T sim card?

Try calling AT&T Mobility at (888) 466-7827 or going to
      https://myvehicle.att.com/#/volvo/le...US&language=en.

If you go in via the website, you will need to sign up - likely with your VIN. Even if you do not have an AT&T SIM, they should be able to assist.

The AT&T wireless (formerly known as Cingular) likely does not have much knowledge of the mobility side of the business - based on my own experiences.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 09-17-2020 at 06:07 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Thank you. I tried that but it doesn't recognize the VIN. In speaking with AT&T mobility they said it was because the modem wasn't on to send an unregistered signal to their towers showing the car was ready to be signed up on their system thru the link you sent. I cannot turn the modem on in Sensus till I have a sim. It is like being stuck in an endless loop. I may just try the sim from Target that was $10 and see if once the modem is on in the vehicle with an unregistered sim if it will take my VIN and let me open a data account.

I also need to sign up for VOC because my wife wants to be able to use remote start this winter. Right now my "park climate" doesn't show on Sensus with other climate tabs. I assume once I have a data plan and I pay the $200 for a year of VOC some sort of software download will come down to enable the "park climate" tab?????

I figured my steps would be:
      1. Data plan activated

2. Purchase VOC

3. Tab for park climate appears

Right now I cannot even get past step 1.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Much appreciated.

Robert

I think this has been discussed before: the data modem in the car is market specific, is not world wide universal. Why and could have been universal? It doesn't matter, it is what it is.

Think of it like low cost cell phones.

This means that what is bought in Europe and works there may not necessary work in NA, or Asia, Australia, and same for any other permutations.
      This is because the hardware doesn't know the different bands (frequencies and channlels) in each country.
      Being "unlocked" has nothing to do with the supported bands.
      And we didn't even touch on the fact that some carriers, especially in US, will not recognize IMEI from other regions... (IMEI is the unique ID of the HW).

So - if your car was made for Europe, the modem will likely not work, or not work well in US.

But hey - there may be a bonus: a European car with all options should have the adaptive LED matrix like auto headlamps which I would love to have (and are not sold in US) :-)
      2018 V90 CC T6 Polestar (Pine Grey Metallic)

2016 XC90 AT&T sim card?

MY16s use 3G (GSM) frequencies for both VOC (non-serviceable) and the Vehicle Modem.

I wonder if you could get the dealer to try and activate VOC before you pay - putting the effort and incentive on the dealer and Volvo to resolve the VOC, and possibly, the vehicle modem solution, concurrently.

You could also post your inquiry on a new thread in the VOC sub forum. You might get the right people involve and get the answer more quickly. Just an idea.

Welcome to the new VOC App & Connectivity forum!
      https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      MY16s use 3G (GSM) frequencies for both VOC (non-serviceable) and the Vehicle Modem.
      Correct, but OP said the car was sold in Germany for German market and years after was brought to US.

3G there is 2100/900 while in NA is 1900/850.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

2016 XC90 AT&T sim card?

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit View Post
      Correct, but OP said the car was sold in Germany for German market and years after was brought to US.

3G there is 2100/900 while in NA is 1900/850.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
      Fair enough. I do not know the data frequencies, bands and channels in my backyard - let alone elsewhere. LOL.

If there was a Volvo and dealer will, there could be a way.

P.s., This is interesting info, but ... https://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 09-17-2020 at 08:09 PM.

i just went to att and asked for a sim added to my regular plan for an ipad, same price as the Volvo pricing. The sim in the xc is a full size sim, so you need an adapter to make the smaller sim larger.

By any chance did you already turn on the vehicle modem internet as described in the Volvo manual as shown below? Note this is a 2019 XC90 USA manual and may not be applicable for your German(?) marketed XC90.
      Last edited by likeXC90; 09-17-2020 at 10:43 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      By any chance did you already turn on the vehicle modem internet as described in the Volvo manual as shown below? Note this is a 2019 XC90 USA manual and may not be applicable for your German(?) marketed XC90.
      Hey,
      I did try to activate or I guess I should say turn on the modem in Sensus but it barked at me about not having a sim card in it. I didn't even consider a previous posters thoughts about the modem in my car just being made for the European market. It was picked up at the Volvo Factory but I have no way of knowing if they prepped it for the US. When I can get around hopefully next week maybe I should visit my dealership and see if Vida will tell them what's in it.

Perhaps like someone mentioned previously if I pursue the notion of signing up for VOC while there they or Volvo NA will help me figure this all out and maybe swap the modem if it is indeed one setup to use in the European markets.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by robrike View Post
      I didn't even consider a previous posters thoughts about the modem in my car just being made for the European market. It was picked up at the Volvo Factory but I have no way of knowing if they prepped it for the US. ... Volvo NA will help me figure this all out and maybe swap the modem if it is indeed one setup to use in the European markets.

Robert

Got it. Even before visiting the dealer have you tried calling Volvo North America to see if they can readily advise on your situation?
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      Got it. Even before visiting the dealer have you tried calling Volvo North America to see if they can readily advise on your situation?
      I have not called them yet. Been sleeping off and on due to medication from surgery so I will try to give it a go today and see what I can find out. I'll post what I find out since this seems to be a confusing subject based on google searches. No definitive answers out there that I can find.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll update when I find something out.

Robert

VOC / Connectivity Expert
      I have not called them yet. Been sleeping off and on due to medication from surgery so I will try to give it a go today and see what I can find out. I'll post what I find out since this seems to be a confusing subject based on google searches. No definitive answers out there that I can find.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll update when I find something out.

Robert

PM me your VIN. I'll help you sort it out.
      Any comments made are of my own opinion and not that of my employer!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoaVolvo View Post
      PM me your VIN. I'll help you sort it out.
      Yep - I was going to say it should be straightforward (although not expedient) to buy a sim and go through the activation process on AT&T's Connected Car website. It'll likely give you an error (or several) but will ultimately get you connected with 2nd and even 3rd level support. Once escalated to them, they'll ask for your VIN and SIM number. In my case it happened via email and would often take a day turn around or more between each exchange. They will end up registering both and you'll eventually get it activated. I had gone through a similar process and it took a couple of weeks if I recall. In my case I was re-activating my SIM. I had switched to T-Mobile after having consumed Volvo's AT&T free trial. I was on T-Mobile for over a year before AT&T offered a killer promo I couldn't ignore. By then my SIM must have been removed from their database. Anyway, it should be possible to get a new SIM registered with them but as others have mentioned AT&T Wireless and AT&T Connected Car service don't know they are both AT&T services.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Sold in 2018: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Hey,
      I did try to activate or I guess I should say turn on the modem in Sensus but it barked at me about not having a sim card in it. I didn't even consider a previous posters thoughts about the modem in my car just being made for the European market. It was picked up at the Volvo Factory but I have no way of knowing if they prepped it for the US. When I can get around hopefully next week maybe I should visit my dealership and see if Vida will tell them what's in it.

Perhaps like someone mentioned previously if I pursue the notion of signing up for VOC while there they or Volvo NA will help me figure this all out and maybe swap the modem if it is indeed one setup to use in the European markets.

Robert

Odds are good your car is a US spec car that may have been sold through expat or diplomat sales - or even Tourist Delivery with extended use in EU. Volvo is one of the few manufacturers that enables sales for other markets where ever you are located. You could even buy a right hand drive for say Ireland, in Washington, DC if you demonstrate you'll end up shipping it back "home".

You should be able to verify the intended market by looking at the underside of the hood. If you see an EPA label, your car is US spec and there should not be an issue with your modem either - it's nothing exotic by US standards except that it enjoyed quality benzin and the most excellent 0W-20 oil blend while in EU!

2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Sold in 2018: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

I actually do have the US emissions label because I remember seeing it under hood when looking for paint code. Also saw label recommending 5W/30 oil which I ordered along with a filter. Now I read it is 0W/20 and previous owners says 0W/20 is what he used so I ordered a kit with Liquid Moly 0W/20 and filter from FCPGROTON.COM. I'll use the 5W in my daughters LandRover and just have extra XC90 filter on hand.

I'm hoping to be up and about tomorrow or Monday and will see if I can get an AT&T sim.
      Thanks to everyone for all the input and suggestions. I hope to use the Sensus and all the features on this car to their fullest extent.

Robert

I actually do have the US emissions label because I remember seeing it under hood when looking for paint code. Also saw label recommending 5W/30 oil which I ordered along with a filter. Now I read it is 0W/20 and previous owners says 0W/20 is what he used so I ordered a kit with Liquid Moly 0W/20 and filter from FCPGROTON.COM. I'll use the 5W in my daughters LandRover and just have extra XC90 filter on hand.

I'm hoping to be up and about tomorrow or Monday and will see if I can get an AT&T sim.
      Thanks to everyone for all the input and suggestions. I hope to use the Sensus and all the features on this car to their fullest extent.

Robert

It sounds like you got a good one that was well maintained with the right recommended oil of 0W-20. Avoid running anything else especially since it's been on the good stuff this long already! Good luck with the SIM.
      --

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      It sounds like you got a good one that was well maintained with the right recommended oil of 0W-20. Avoid running anything else especially since it's been on the good stuff this long already! Good luck with the SIM.
      Thanks. I order the 5W/30 based on label in engine bay that sticker recommended but after reading on here and asking previous owner decided to order the Liquid Moly 0W/20. I think previous owner was a little like me and liked to read these type forums even if he didn't do the wrenching himself. Me, I'll wrench on anything. Had a 2005 XC90 V8 before this one. Still have the 05 but selling soon. Had Vida for it and could work on just about anything on it. These 16 and above I cannot find anything for. No service manuals or anything of that sort. It is a bummer.

Robert

Thanks. I order the 5W/30 based on label in engine bay that sticker recommended but after reading on here and asking previous owner decided to order the Liquid Moly 0W/20. I think previous owner was a little like me and liked to read these type forums even if he didn't do the wrenching himself. Me, I'll wrench on anything. Had a 2005 XC90 V8 before this one. Still have the 05 but selling soon. Had Vida for it and could work on just about anything on it. These 16 and above I cannot find anything for. No service manuals or anything of that sort. It is a bummer.

Robert

I've been using LiquiMoly's approved Volvo blend 0W-20 as well since the first service. LiquiMoly is highly sought after even for Porsches (0W-40 version) over the Porsche recommended Mobil1 EU blend 0W-40. It was an easy decision when I saw that was an option for my T8. It's good stuff.

Good luck with you AT&T SIM quest. I'd be curious to know when you get one, how you went about it.
      Last edited by VolvoUhu; 09-21-2020 at 10:19 AM.
      --

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      I've been using LiquiMoly's approved Volvo blend 0W-20 as well since the first service. LiquiMoly is highly sought after even for Porsches (0W-40 version) over the Porsche recommended Mobil1 EU blend 0W-40. It was an easy decision when I saw that was an option for my T8. It's good stuff.

Good luck with you AT&T SIM quest. I'd be curious to know when you get one, how you went about it.
      Thus far I have just ordered an AT&T Sim off of Amazon. It is supposed to arrive Wednesday. I signed up for VOC today and in speaking with VOC support I made sure they agreed that Sensus has it's own modem for Sensus and that the AT&T one is simply for wifi and hotspot. He told me i would need to call them once i had the Sim so they could add the sim IEM number to the Volvo system. I'll know more once i do all that and go to AT&T connect site to sign up. Hopefully them it will recognize my VIN. Waiting to see. I'll post my findings Wednesday night as a follow up.

Robert

If you fire up the hotspot, then connect to the hotspot with your phone, it'll captive portal you to an AT&T signup page.
      '16 Volvo XC90 R-Design - Passion Red - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
      '18 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Tri-coat Red - Performance Upgrade Package, Enhanced AutoPilot
      SOLD - '13 XC60 R-Design - Ice White - Platinum, Climate Pkg w/ Boosters, BLIS

If it helps:
      In my case (in Canada) the activation with AT&T was done by the local Volvo dealer, and wifi hotspot "just worked" with my tablet.

Then I did my AT&T account registration here: https://myvehicle.att.com/#/login
      , where part of the "create new account" I was asked the VIN # and some identity confirmation questions. I did this so I can manage my AT&T subscription myself, no dealer involved.

Remember that not all data plans support wifi hotspots (they used to call this tethering); you will see if this is the case if the car itself can use Internet (see the globe icon upper left) and for e.g. play music in TuneIn, or access Yelp, etc. in the car (in Sensus) - but the wifi hotspot will not provide Internet access to any connected devices, despite the connection is indicted as valid (I know because it happened to me when I tried a different SIM with a different telco and data plan, after which I went back to AT&T).

i recommend using the My Vehicle AT&T plan. Is unlimited. I have been using it now that i am "WFH" while i am not actually at home. I used it to connect my laptop via citrix to the company and even Zoom calls at the same time. Is not that fast since is the 3G hardware (XC90 2016) but is enough.

All good ideas from last few posts. My AT&T sim arrived today and I put it in the modem and called VOC with the IMEI or whatever number name it has these days. They added it to their system with no issues and car sees it in the Sensus settings but VOC said it would take 48 hours to propagate from VOC to the AT&T system so that my VIN won't show as invalid when i go to register on AT&T. Guess I'll know Friday about 2pm if it will work or not when I try to get on AT&T activation page with my VIN. So far so good, no major hiccups.

Robert

Still waiting for the sim to appear in AT&T's system so I can sign up for an account. Sim card is in and Volvo recognizes it in their system. I called Volvo NA today and spoke to a rep who was very helpful and said she has seen this before but needs to research it and follow up with me.

I turned the modem.on in the car and tried to connect my phone to its wifi hotspot and it works but shows no internet connectivity on phone. It didn't portal me over to a sign up page, it was suggested on here and I was hoping it would but no luck.

I don't get why I can't just call AT&T and sign up for a data plan for any car. The $20 unlimited and give them the sim card info and be up and running. Why does Volvo have to be involved??? I must be missing something here. I tried my dealership first and they were horrid. Nobody knew anything about signing car to sims and then I asked for service to inquire about prices for software updates and they were d**ks in my opinion. I'll post another thread about that.

When I'm connected I'll update so hopefully it saves someone else this problem in the future.

Robert

Since this is out of the free trial period, you just buy a data plan from AT&T (like the data connection plan) or Tmobile or their prepaid MVNO and put the SIM in. That's what I use.

The original data SIM from factory may be pre-configured differently through a Volvo-AT&T contract to give you temporary connection and show you webpage to sign up a plan, but it is just a convenience thing. Looks like Volvo rep is getting it set up like this. It is not a big deal if you can't do this.

Only the VOC SIM is special and tied to car. But we don't have access to install or remove it.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 09-25-2020 at 07:40 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237344 miles [2020-10-13]

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Since this is out of the free trial period, you just buy a data plan from AT&T (like the data connection plan) or Tmobile or their prepaid MVNO and put the SIM in. That's what I use.

The original data SIM from factory may be pre-configured differently through a Volvo-AT&T contract to give you temporary connection and show you webpage to sign up a plan, but it is just a convenience thing. Looks like Volvo rep is getting it set up like this. It is not a big deal if you can't do this.

Only the VOC SIM is special and tied to car. But we don't have access to install or remove it.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      I think that makes the most sense to do. I'm going to see if Volvo NA calls Monday and if I don't hear from them I'll go by AT&T Tuesday and get a plan going. I appreciate the info about getting a regular data plan. Volvo makes it sound like you have to do thru them to do anything relate to using AT&T for wifi. So weird.

Thanks for the tip.

Robert

2016 XC90 AT&T sim card?

I think that makes the most sense to do. I'm going to see if Volvo NA calls Monday and if I don't hear from them I'll go by AT&T Tuesday and get a plan going. I appreciate the info about getting a regular data plan. Volvo makes it sound like you have to do thru them to do anything relate to using AT&T for wifi. So weird.

Thanks for the tip.

Robert

Let us know if your AT&T wireless store offers you an unlimited 4G LTE data plan for $20/month.

That is the arrangement with new Volvo vehicles (and maybe new owners of used cars, but not sure on the latter). When in

AT&T Wireless and AT&T Connected Car / Mobility are separate entities. When I tried four years ago to get an updated AT&T SIM, the response was to see my dealer.

A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 09-26-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Swapped “new” for “used” car

Tmobile MVNO MintMobile usually offer some good rate plans, $30/month unlimited, 12GB/$25, 8GB/$20.
      AT&T RV data plan offers options like 100GB/yr for $325, and 5GB/$25/month. Also quite attractive.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 09-26-2020 at 11:54 AM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237344 miles [2020-10-13]

Still waiting for the sim to appear in AT&T's system so I can sign up for an account. Sim card is in and Volvo recognizes it in their system. I called Volvo NA today and spoke to a rep who was very helpful and said she has seen this before but needs to research it and follow up with me.

I turned the modem.on in the car and tried to connect my phone to its wifi hotspot and it works but shows no internet connectivity on phone. It didn't portal me over to a sign up page, it was suggested on here and I was hoping it would but no luck.

I don't get why I can't just call AT&T and sign up for a data plan for any car. The $20 unlimited and give them the sim card info and be up and running. Why does Volvo have to be involved??? I must be missing something here. I tried my dealership first and they were horrid. Nobody knew anything about signing car to sims and then I asked for service to inquire about prices for software updates and they were d**ks in my opinion. I'll post another thread about that.

When I'm connected I'll update so hopefully it saves someone else this problem in the future.

Robert

It’s controlled by AT&T. I’ve had a friend go through a horribly convoluted process for his Audi. It’s a horrible process that they put in place to control the connected car market - you’ll notice no other carrier offers similar plans for any other car make. You can, however, pickup a SIM from another carrier and ask for it to be “mobile internet” or hotspot plan and it’ll work. The downside is they may not offer them as “unlimited”. I’m stil curious to know if they are truly unlimited or have a magic cap at say 50GB or 100 or even 200 before they max out and you’d have to wait for the next billing cycle. Verizon does that - they do offer “unlimited” plans that cap out and you have to wait for the next billing cycle for them to reset.
      --

T-mobile is offering a free line this month. Anyone knows if that could be used as a SIM for WiFi hotspot modem in XC90 2018?

BTW my earlier experience about activating sim for VOC was when my car went in standby mode as I had not used my car for more than a month when traveling abroad. I had to call Volvo NA and I was asked to goto dealer to get VOC modem out of standby.
      But once VOC modem was reset by Volvo NA, VOC was enabled after few hours and I did not have to goto dealer.
      I had to sign out of VOC app on iPhone and sign in again. That did the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johngunther View Post
      T-mobile is offering a free line this month. Anyone knows if that could be used as a SIM for WiFi hotspot modem in XC90 2018?

BTW my earlier experience about activating sim for VOC was when my car went in standby mode as I had not used my car for more than a month when traveling abroad. I had to call Volvo NA and I was asked to goto dealer to get VOC modem out of standby.
      But once VOC modem was reset by Volvo NA, VOC was enabled after few hours and I did not have to goto dealer.
      I had to sign out of VOC app on iPhone and sign in again. That did the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The VOC modem is non-serviceable and is always associated with AT&T in the US (so far).

The Vehicle Modem and its SIM is different and is serviceable by the owner. Owners in the US have reported success at swapping a TMo SIM into SPA MY16, MY17, et al. It is only with respect to the Vehicle Modem.

Postpaid Verizon and legacy Sprint data SIMs have not worked - think of CDMA carriers. I do not recall hearing about any prepaid data SIMs. It would seem to be pretty hit or miss unless you stick close to AT&T and TMO compatible data SIMs.

To re-iterate, the VOC activation and deactivation must be handled through Volvo Cars and/or the Volvo dealer. (I am not sure about a Volvo Indy).

A fine MY16 XC90 T8

I have a GoogleFi micro SIM (with an adapter) in our 2018 XC90 R, and works without issue.
      I did have one card go bad in the modem when I first installed it, my guess is that the adapter shorted it? - nonetheless once I got a replacement car, I put it in, enabled the modem, and it's been rocking ever since. My kids use the hotspot for all their devices and it all just works.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast