Water/condensation in the taillight
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Angry Water/condensation in the taillight

Hi guys,

I want to share my story and perhaps get some advice/suggestions.

I have a 2019 XC60 Inscription with 5K miles. At the end of August, I noticed water/condensation in the right taillight (see pics). Not sure, how long water has been there. I did not drive the car much over the summer, and the last week of August was the first time I hand-washed the car. Took it to the dealer week and a half ago to document the issue and inquire about the next steps.
      Previously, I had a service appointment scheduled for the first maintenance on Sep 17. So, I was hoping the dealer would get the part in stock and would replace the taillight. The service advisor took several pictures, said he would show them to the service manager and let me know if he needed anything else. Later that day, I got a call from the service advisor, he said that the manager told him that Volvo required particular views/photos of the taillight, so I had to come back. Went to the dealership for a second time, the service manager took a whole bunch of pictures, inspected the taillight for possible damage. He promised to open a case with Volvo the same day and assured that by September 17, they would have an answer from Volvo. So, today I stopped by the dealership to drop off the car for service. The service advisor told me that Volvo now is asking for pictures of the “internal view of the tailgate” to confirm there is no “internal damage” to the taillight. So, the catch is – if they find internal damage, then Volvo would not be covering the tailing replacement and would not cover the shop time required to remove the trim from the tailgate to get to the taillight. I asked to speak with a service manager, but conveniently he was not available. Now, I got a feeling that Volvo is trying to weasel out of covering the taillight replacement. I mean – both service advisor and service manager confirmed there was no damage to the external surface of the taillight or the tailgate, nothing was misaligned. The service advisor could not really explain how the taillight could be damaged from the inside the car without any damage to the trim or the tailgate itself. How can I be sure the tailgate was not defective from the factory? Anyways, the dealer quote for removing the trim and inspecting the taillight assembly is $210.

Now, has anyone had a similar experience with Volvo? What else can I do? File a complaint with Volvo?

Sorry for the long post. Had to vent.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Could be a bad seal at the bulb??? Or bulb not seated properly????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think that the dealer and/or service advisor are full of bs.
      either way sounds very weird for Volvo to ask for pictures, not to mention twice.
      In your shoes, I would contact Volvo directly and take it from there.

good luck
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo S60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxicallymodified View Post
      Could be a bad seal at the bulb??? Or bulb not seated properly????

These are LED lights, there is no classic light bulb
      Last edited by BigBang; 09-18-2020 at 03:14 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      These are LED lights, there is no classic light bulb
      Aaaah. Still has to be an air gap somewhere?

Aaaah. Still has to be an air gap somewhere?

There is no possibility of replacing individual light parts, only the kit
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

There is no possibility of replacing individual light parts, only the kit
      Gotta love technology

yeah, be thankful that its the rear light.
      should have been one of the front ones.. add another zero to the bill!
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo S60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

Yeah-if I cant work on it....I ain’t buying it.

Yeah-if I cant work on it....I ain’t buying it.

The biggest problem need to disassemble half of the cargo space to remove taillight . LED lights are known to have a much longer lifespan and are less prone to failure, but .....
      Similar as accessing to rear fuse box, this is stupid design and solution

https://mega.nz/file/GA5HHZKQ#o0Ket3...aJjrolHGgGz5q0
      Last edited by BigBang; 09-18-2020 at 06:18 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

The biggest problem need to disassemble half of the cargo space to remove taillight . LED lights are known to have a much longer lifespan and are less prone to failure, but .....
      Similar as accessing to rear fuse box, this is stupid design and solution

https://mega.nz/file/GA5HHZKQ#o0Ket3...aJjrolHGgGz5q0
      This is an issue with an inside tail light, it isnt bad at all to access(pop off tailgate panel, disconnect light, remove 2 screws and its out). because the outer taillights and headlights do not have bulbs in them, they are not easy to access or replace. previous volvos with bulbs were simple because they knew you would have to get back there more frequently
      Last edited by brich999; 09-18-2020 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      This is an issue with an inside tail light, it isnt bad at all to access(pop off tailgate panel, disconnect light, remove 2 screws and its out). because the outer taillights and headlights do not have bulbs in them, they are not easy to access or replace. previous volvos with bulbs were simple because they knew you would have to get back there more frequently
      I know that one part light locate on the boot lid but in general it's a problem with replacing them
      Just like the problem with the fuses in the rear of the vehicle, Volvo persistently gives misinformation where it is located
      When I tried to install a camera in the back of the vehicle I encountered an amazing problem.
      I followed the owner’s manual and nowhere did I find the fuse box where that Volvo states it is located
      Last edited by BigBang; 09-18-2020 at 09:27 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

I know it's lights on the boot lid but in general it's a problem with replacing them
      Just like the problem with the fuses in the rear of the vehicle, Volvo persistently gives misinformation where it is located
      you dont have vida, or dont know how to use vida. information is there and it is not difficult to remove a cover, unplug connector and remove two screws. short of having exposed screws and electrical wires, im not sure how this could be more simple

you dont have vida, or dont know how to use vida. information is there and it is not difficult to remove a cover, unplug connector and remove two screws. short of having exposed screws and electrical wires, im not sure how this could be more simple
      Go back and re-read what I wrote in the previous post.

Thanks
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Go back and re-read what I wrote in the previous post.

Thanks
      I know that one part light locate on the boot lid but in general it's a problem with replacing them
      except when you profile a car in vida, go to operations and packages, 3 for electrical, 35 for lighting, 353 for lighting rear, operation 35330 tail light tailgate replacement. then it walks you through removing tailgate panel, which connector to unplug and which two screws to remove. i dont see how they could make it any easier. theres colored pictures, torque specs, tools required etc

I believe Big Bang is referring to the location of the fuse panel in the rear. Not the replacement of the rear hatch tail light.
      Current - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription - Bright Silver - Amber Interior
      Previous - 2013 XC60 T6 R-Design - Passion Red - Black/Beige Sport Interior

except when you profile a car in vida, go to operations and packages, 3 for electrical, 35 for lighting, 353 for lighting rear, operation 35330 tail light tailgate replacement. then it walks you through removing tailgate panel, which connector to unplug and which two screws to remove. i dont see how they could make it any easier. theres colored pictures, torque specs, tools required etc
      Of course, it is not a problem to replace the part lights part that is on the tailgate, but the other much larger part of the talight takes at least 3-4 hours to disassemble and put everything back in place.

Now back to the beginning of the story, do you really think water can enter from the inside
      This is simply impossible due to the construction of the tailgate

Owner's manual shows that they are here but they are not:
      https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...-in-cargo-area

Quote Originally Posted by pvoveris View Post
      I believe Big Bang is referring to the location of the fuse panel in the rear. Not the replacement of the rear hatch tail light.
      That's right, thanks for understanding, just as it's complicated to replace another large part of the light assembly rear
      Last edited by BigBang; 09-18-2020 at 03:55 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

what does that have to do with anything?
      in any case if a part is faulty or needs to be serviced, its a job for volvo / repair shop / etc not you, especially when you don't know or are unaware of what you're doing.
      these days cars ain't like they used to be in the 90's where you could disassemble them like legos.

I have an update. Friday morning I got a txt from the dealership. After they removed the trim from the tailgate, they've found that "the seal was crimped from the factory" and Volvo agreed to cover the cost of replacement.
      That’s all well and good, but this incident left a lasting impression, that volvo is not a consumer-friendly brand

Here is a picture of the taillight seal.

Last edited by Dimon aggie; 09-21-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Water/condensation in the taillight

Quote Originally Posted by Dimon aggie View Post
      Hi guys,

I have a 2019 XC60 Inscription with 5K miles. At the end of August, I noticed water/condensation in the right taillight (see pics). Not sure, how long water has been there. I did not drive the car much over the summer, and the last week of August was the first time I hand-washed the car. Took it to the dealer week and a half ago to document the issue and inquire about the next steps.
      Previously, I had a service appointment scheduled for the first maintenance on Sep 17. So, I was hoping the dealer would get the part in stock and would replace the taillight. The service advisor took several pictures, said he would show them to the service manager and let me know if he needed anything else. Later that day, I got a call from the service advisor, he said that the manager told him that Volvo required particular views/photos of the taillight, so I had to come back. Went to the dealership for a second time, the service manager took a whole bunch of pictures, inspected the taillight for possible damage. He promised to open a case with Volvo the same day and assured that by September 17, they would have an answer from Volvo. So, today I stopped by the dealership to drop off the car for service. The service advisor told me that Volvo now is asking for pictures of the “internal view of the tailgate” to confirm there is no “internal damage” to the taillight. So, the catch is – if they find internal damage, then Volvo would not be covering the tailing replacement and would not cover the shop time required to remove the trim from the tailgate to get to the taillight. I asked to speak with a service manager, but conveniently he was not available. Now, I got a feeling that Volvo is trying to weasel out of covering the taillight replacement. I mean – both service advisor and service manager confirmed there was no damage to the external surface of the taillight or the tailgate, nothing was misaligned. The service advisor could not really explain how the taillight could be damaged from the inside the car without any damage to the trim or the tailgate itself. How can I be sure the tailgate was not defective from the factory? Anyways, the dealer quote for removing the trim and inspecting the taillight assembly is $210.

Now, has anyone had a similar experience with Volvo? What else can I do? File a complaint with Volvo?

Had the same issue on my 2018 XC60 D5 and I got a new light under the warranty. They just took a few minutes to search for external damage and immediately ordered me a new light. Everything was free of charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 D5 Inscription w. Polestar tune
      2020 XC40 D4 R-Design
      Last edited by Akhk; 09-23-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimon aggie View Post
      Hi guys,

I have had the same issue from other manufacturers on interior trim pieces and body parts. This is not unique to Volvo. The OEMs require pictures of the car so that they can document the problem before approving the warranty claim. While somewhat of an inconvenience to the customer, it protects the dealer from having to reimburse the OEM on the back end if the claim is ultimately denied months down the road because it should not have been covered in the first place. I have had this on my Suburbans with the seat back carpet pulling back from the rear tether clip, a headliner on a Ford, front and rear tail lamp assemblies on a Ford, etc. In essence, with the proliferation of smart phones with high quality digital cameras, the OEMs have moved the process to the front end of the warranty claim to protect everyone’s interests and expectations. It is important to remember that warranty is for manufacturer defects, not owner abuse or accidental damage. And yes, the back side of a light fixture can get damaged if the vehicle was involved in a collision or the fixture had previously been removed and handled improperly or reinstalled improperly.

To give you an example (which also involved water in tail lamps), I had a been issued a brand new Ford Police Interceptor Utility (Ford Explorer based vehicle) by the fire department that had integrated emergency lighting in the tail lamp assemblies from the factory. The problem was that the selling dealer order them to be red/blue rather than red/red. Instead of getting the correct lighting parts from Ford, the selling dealer got aftermarket parts that did not fit. My local dealer had to send pictures to Ford, who originally rejected the warranty claim even though it was a known problem with the lighting fixture. Ultimately, after much pushback from the servicing dealer, Ford agreed to cover the repair, which included replacement of both rear assemblies and warning lights, and charged it all back to the selling dealership over their objections.
      Last edited by rdr854; 09-26-2020 at 07:23 AM.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements