Transmission Oil Cooler Return vs. Incoming Line
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Transmission Oil Cooler Return vs. Incoming Line

Hi all,

I have a 2012 XC-60 3.2L where I am doing a trans fluid change with the required JWS3324-spec'd oil (Total's Fluidmatic MV LV for Aisin Warner-Volvo, $150 delivered for 18L) .

This is the exact oil cooler on the vehicle (used this Ebay link pic as a reference):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1446535-New...-/132662721382

These oil trans coolers are installed vertically (left-side of the pic is the top, right-side the bottom). They also have FoCoMo (Ford Motor Company) adapter oil lines, something different than the green connectors that I've seen on 2011-and earlier (other) Volvos.

Anyhow, I have two questions and would be much appreciated if anyone could answer:

1) Look at the oil cooler in the above pic: how do I know which is the incoming vs outgoing oil cooler line? I am assuming the oil comes in hot from the top, circulates and cools a bit, and leaves via the bottom line. Is this correct? (need to know this to perform the VIDA-spec trans fluid change where disconnecting the oil cooler line and pumping out 2L a fluid at a time and putting back in 2L fluid new is performed).

2) Anyone know and/or have any tips on this FoCoMo connector releases the line from the cooler (Below is a link to one of the lines that goes into these coolers, it's number 8 in the link):

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/s..._driveLine=505

How does this clip come off? It is completely different than the old green clips I was used to.

Thank you for any help with these two questions.
      (I'm trying to get photos included from my Photobucket account but they no longer seem to allow image link hosting for the free account)
      Last edited by riderdedication; 09-18-2020 at 03:02 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't have a great answer for anything.

#1. While sub optimal, if you really wanted to do the disconnect, you could disconnect the trans fluid heater/cooler and briefly start the car. You'd find out direction real quick. Only assuming you were ready to do the work and replace fluids. BUT, while I use vida to do things, I'm confused.
      I thought to disconnect the line was more of a faster, but more aggressive fluid change. The alternative method, which I did in my 11 and am about to do in my 14, is you simply drain out the pan and fill, run the car for a few and repeat. By 4 of these, you've exchanged most of the fluid and no hard line's are touched.

This is an XC70 but same transmission, check it out, it's done well and way easier than messing with those lines in my opinion.
      https://youtu.be/EAb9p8Wph-M

#2. Looking close at the clip, it almost looks like the green part is a safety clip and the yellow part is the mechanism.

I know the radiator hoses were a style I've never seen before (hence how things went poorly for me) but they were different than this.
      The classic, 1972 164E, Alpine Blue Metallic.
      The daily, 2014 XC60 T6, Savile Grey Metallic, Platinum/Sport/Tech.

Previous:
      2011 XC60 T6, Terra Bronze
      2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1
      2001 S60 fwd Ice White

For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

Spiked, thanks for the reply, but was already aware of that procedure. It's ok for the novice, but a waste of time in the end.

Anyhow, I changed all 7.7 litres transmission fluid today in my 2012 XC-60 3.2L TF80-SC 6-spd (Aisin transmission) Volvo, 110,000 miles.

Fluid came out still somewhat red, which I expected since the car has only seen the autobahns for the most part and no city driving. That said, it was obvious at 110k miles that the fluid was starting to breakdown as evidenced by a few hard shifts especially coming down when coasting (foot off the pedal going down an incline and the TCM shifted from 3-2 down to 1 (Volvos are known for hard shifts in the 3-2 come down and it is directly because of the Aisin transmission dynamics and is a sign to change the fluid---now .

The above FoCoMo hose (my start of this thread) above comes off by sliding it back for as it can go, then squeezing in on the tabs while prying it off. It then pops right off. These FoCoMo hoses couplings are crap in my opinion, but you have to work with them here.

Also, if you're interested, on these oil coolers, the top is where the fluid enters hot from the tranny and the bottom it returns to the tranny. I decided not to fuss at that point, since it's tight quarters for working in, and just followed the hoses down to where they connect to the thermostat housing on the outside of the tranny. I popped off the return line there, stuck 3/8" plastic hosing inside the hose (which fit snugly, which was great) and put the other end in a 4 liter clear bottle, marked in 1 litre increments.

Then it was a simple matter of having the wife sit in the vehicle and start it, and use the tranny pump itself to pump out 2 liters, tell her to stop, then refill 2 litres from the top of the tranny. Did this 4 times (remember, i had already dropped both tranny drain plugs under the car, drained out almost 3.5 litres, and had filled 4 litres back in, then started this 2 litre procedure. What is super nice about the 2012-2017 XC-60 models with the 3.2L engine, you do not need to remove the airbox (like in other videos)to get at the fill plug. Volvo was gracious enough to move the fill plug forward where you can easily get at it with a 24" socket extension and use a telescoping magnet to pull it out after unscrewing it. No need to remove anything from the engine bay. Then use the telescoping magnet to start re-screwing it back in, finger tighten afterwards with the socket extension, and do this 4 times runnining thru and pumping out 2 litres.

By the fourth 2 litre cycle, the fluid coming out of the TF80-SC 6 speed tranny was crystal clear as the new I was putting in.

Plugged everything back up, filling the last 2 litres with an extra 1/2 litre, and then used VIDA DICE (Roxana's awesome Win10 Vida Virtualbox ova file) to reset the 'transmission fluid counter', and then switch over to the transmission gearbox temp moniter, and waited for VIDA DICE to show me the tranny had warmed up to 50 Celsius. At that point, popped back under the car, unscrewed the little drain plug, watch a stream pour out for a few seconds until it became a drip (the car as to be level when doing this) and promptly tightened the big drain 17mm drain plug to the torque spec of 35-40nm, then popped in the little fill-level drain plug and tightened it to the required 8nm torque spec, and went for a drive.

And suddenly the XC-60 became alive again, shifts where crisp but yet like butter, but going up and down the range. It was really eye-opening to see how much of a difference this made on this Aisin tanny and 3.2L Volvo.

Anyhow, hope this help anyone out there. Remember to spend the $20 to get the correct washers and o-rings and replace them all on the fill plug, the drain plug and the fill-level plug.

Also, get the correct fluid. What I mean is, stay away from JWS3309 fluid (when it says AW-1) as Volvo switched their whole fleet over to JWS3324 in 2012, for all makes and models. I get tired of reading others saying to use JWS3309 in their 3.2 engines. if it is an engine in 2012 or after, no, you don't use JWS3309. Quit telling others to do this. Volvo engineers (I live here in Belgium, near Ghent, where most Volvos are made for export to the USA and other places) made this crystal clear in 2012 and so did Aisin, whether it was 4, 5 6 speeds.

Below is a link to a nice writeup about the XC-60 and transmission fluid change. If you've got no problems in your transmission and the car runs great, but you've never changed the tranny fluid, get on it before it is too late. Volvo specifically tells all fleet and commercial owners of their vehicles (like taxis services and such) to make sure all tranny oils are changed every ~40-45,000 miles. If you tow, especially heavy towing and/or mountainous towing, change it every 30k.

Lastly, if you've got 100K-140K mile Volvo, and it runs really well, no shifting problems, but the fluid has never been changed, don't listen to anyone who tells you to never change the tranny fluid. They don't know what they are talking about, period. I work on both BMWs and ZF transmissions for a living, professionally and personally, and I get tired of the nonsense perpetuated by many on forums like this when discussing whether transmission fluid should be changed or not. Yes, it always should when no problems are present with the transmission. Additionally, when I hear stupidity about not changing trans fluid on a healthy, high mileage transmission, I know they've never once rebuilt an auto tranny in their life, unlike the rare few of us. Trans fluid changes do not kill the transmission---ever. Remember that, it's an ironclad truth that rebuild these new auto tranmissions. If your tranny was going, it was going to go whether the fluid was changed or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlpLS9ZleeI

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by riderdedication View Post
      Also, get the correct fluid. What I mean is, stay away from JWS3309 fluid (when it says AW-1) as Volvo switched their whole fleet over to JWS3324 in 2012, for all makes and models. I get tired of reading others saying to use JWS3309 in their 3.2 engines. if it is an engine in 2012 or after, no, you don't use JWS3309. Quit telling others to do this. Volvo engineers (I live here in Belgium, near Ghent, where most Volvos are made for export to the USA and other places) made this crystal clear in 2012 and so did Aisin, whether it was 4, 5 6 speeds.
      Mine is a early 2012 model s60, I'm about to change my fluid, are you saying that the oil in the link below is not the right one?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/AORA...put=aic+atf0t4

Great writeup by the way!
      2012 S60 T5, original purchase date May 2011

Hey npn,

Boils down to whether you have a P2 or P3 model. Volvo, here in Ghent, when it came to all Aisin transmissions, pretty much (as a cost saving factor and also increased fuel mileage reasons) went to JWS3324 over JWS3309 in 2012 as the P3 models hit.

Also know that when a tranny manufacturer releases a new oil, most times it is topicality issue. For example, the only thing that changed from Aisin's JWS-3309 to JWS-3324 was the fact of going fully synthetic and also to make (without being technical) an oil that was thinner/lighter (the increased gas mileage thing).

Also, another little secret is JWS-3329 will run perfectly in a JWS-3309-spec'd tranny. Don't ever mix JWS-3309 and JWS-3324, but if a tranny had JWS-3309, it had been or was operating perfectly when the change took place, then putting in all new JWS-3324 will do just as well if not better than JWS-3309 (in fact, some Volvo Ghent mechanics do this in their own Volvos vehciles). Aisin designed it that way, but they dontbroadcast as a lot of dealers and resellers are still sitting on mounds of JWS-3309 oil.

Anyhow, good luck and search the forums here....lots of great ways to to do this and keep your tranny healthy for hundred of thousands of miles.

My next flush I will not be touching the top fill hole and/or the two bottom drain plugs....I will pop both hoses off that lower thermostat area, and as the car slowly pumps two litres out into a clear, marked plastic jug, I will be hand pumping in slowly fresh 2 litres. It is by far the easiest way to do now that I've done one on this XC-60 (forthe most part, we do all BMWs this way on their sealed trannies).

Then when I see full, clear red fluid finally coming out, I'll pump in an extra litre, get the car level, up to 50 celsius using VIDA DICE, and then quickly pop the little drain-level plug, let it run out till it drips, and button her up, and that will it.

I can see this method becoming a 35-45 min procedure max, easily done when whenever the next 30-40K miles rolls around.

All the best and take care.

(P.S.) what's going on with the Swedespeed forum posting, everything is messed up and nothing seems to be working...?? hope this message gets thru)
      Last edited by riderdedication; 09-20-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Also know that when a tranny manufacturer releases a new oil, most times it is topicality issue. For example, the only thing that changed from Aisin's JWS-3309 to JWS-3324 was the fact of going fully synthetic and also to make (without being technical) an oil that was thinner/lighter (the increased gas mileage thing).
      Source for this? I’ve been curious as to what specific differences there are between the 3309 and AW-1 fluids...

What is your background, if I may ask?

Thanks,

Joe
      2013 XC60 R-Design Platinum - Ice White
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Willow Green - Wife's, all stock

Hey npn,

Boils down to whether you have a P2 or P3 model. Volvo, here in Ghent, when it came to all Aisin transmissions, pretty much (as a cost saving factor and also increased fuel mileage reasons) went to JWS3324 over JWS3309 in 2012 as the P3 models hit.
      Thanks riderdedication!

I was about to put in the JWS3309 oil but I'll take your advice and go with the newer one.

I'm pretty sure my 2012 S60, tho purchased in early 2011, is P3. It was the new model back then... So I really appreciate your input which I'm sure saved me a big headache. Now I just have to figure out a way to return the oil I already purchased.
      2012 S60 T5, original purchase date May 2011

Great write up. I totally agree with what you say about whether or not to do complete fluid changes. I do mine every 30thou on my AW55sn with 3309.I use a similar method. I pull the top tranny line out of the rad and plug in a old used tranny line into the rad and run it into the 3 gal marked container. 12 qts.in and 12 qts out.No mess and the level is perfect every time. I do have Vida but never bother with resetting the counter.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements