(Video) Does your 3.2/V8 TF80SC Downshift Like This?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2020
      Posts
      6

      (Video) Does your 3.2/V8 TF80SC Downshift Like This?

      Just purchased a 2011 V8 XC90 with 104k miles. I was strictly a BMW guy until now.

      I notice that on the highway, if I ease into the throttle enough to prompt a downshift, the revs almost seem to go ABOVE where they should be (by ~100RPM), then "slip"/slide/fall down to the actual RPM of the gear (video here: https://youtu.be/TB5nXz5Wb9E). This does not feel like a gear slip, that is, I continue advancing forward throughout, and this might be normal behavior. I am just used to (in BMWs) downshifts being shot right to the exact RPM of the next gear then continuing forward. The one at 0:28 is the best and most focused shot of whats happening.

      Anyone with the V8/3.2 with the TF80, let me know if this is normal behavior or not. I replicated it 3 times in the video. If this is normal, I see it helping others who switch from other makes too.

      Thanks

      Ryan

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Location
      Brisbane, Straya
      Posts
      11
      I'll check mine out in a couple of hours for you and see if I can replicate. I've got the 08 V8 Sport. It seems normal but will check. Happy for someone far more knowledgeable than I to correct me

      Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2020
      Posts
      6
      Quote Originally Posted by scottydeets View Post
      I'll check mine out in a couple of hours for you and see if I can replicate. I've got the 08 V8 Sport. It seems normal but will check. Happy for someone far more knowledgeable than I to correct me

      Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Thanks! Would be nice to know its not broken already... Hopefully others chime in so a consensus on this can be made.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Location
      Brisbane, Straya
      Posts
      11
      Know where you're coming from. I've only had mine a week and a half but already put about 1100km on it (600 ish miles). The tf-80 in mine was replaced in 2013 so should be closer to yours than the early ones with dodgy valve bodies. Will let you know, if mine does it too it's either normal or we're both screwed

      Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      716
      I can't really tell because I can't hear the engine. I suspect the torque converter clutch is unlocking during the shift and takes that long to re-engage. I never really noticed it on mine. Not sure if it will work on this trans, but some torque converter clutches will unlock if you touch the brake pedal. You could see if you can reproduce the behavior that way, without the shift.
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 176,000 miles and counting...

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Location
      Brisbane, Straya
      Posts
      11
      Just been out for a bit in mine, yep, it does it. Managed to replicate it even on normal shifts. Think John C might be on the money.

      Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2020
      Posts
      6
      Quote Originally Posted by scottydeets View Post
      Just been out for a bit in mine, yep, it does it. Managed to replicate it even on normal shifts. Think John C might be on the money.

      Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Thanks for this. Since it looks like I only got your attention, would you mind also telling me if while slowing down to a stop, you ever feel a lurch/jerk/jolt into 1st? Not harsh by any means, but I can definitely feel it go into 1st more than I can feel it downshift from 6-5-4-3-2 or anywhere between that while coming to a stop.

      Thanks much

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Location
      Brisbane, Straya
      Posts
      11
      No trouble at all. I think I may have, but only once. It was definitely in the final part of coming to a stop. I thought it may have been disengaging completely, but was also pointed downhill at a set of lights so wasn't sure.

      Do you know when the transmission fluid was last changed? It's a relatively cheap peace of mind, but be absolutely certain to use the fluids recommended here in other threads.

      Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      716
      I tried to pay attention to this today. (Tried to make a video, but I almost crashed...) Anyhow, Mine seems to do the same thing, but it is barely noticeable. I'd say the flare is less than 50 RPM and of shorter duration. Your jerk in first could be the TCC not releasing fast enough, so, both symptoms could be explained by a sluggish TCC solenoid.
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 176,000 miles and counting...

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Chicago & D.C. Metro
      Posts
      867
      Like John C said, it is normal and closer to 50rpm. The transmission tuning and the valve body is set for more comfort than the ZF units in the BMWs.

      There is a guy on youtube with a P3 T6 S60 that installed an upgraded valvebody on his TF-80 and when I watched his video, I thought it still shifted slower than BMW and the rev matching was slower. Maybe I got spoiled because I changed the tune on my BMW's ZF-8 to shift faster, increase line pressure, and remove the torque limiter.

      No hard shift into 1st here.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 155k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

      About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      Understanding why to use synthetic oil in your XC90
      Ultimate Transmission Fluid Guide for the 3.2 & V8
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2020
      Posts
      6
      Quote Originally Posted by scottydeets View Post
      No trouble at all. I think I may have, but only once. It was definitely in the final part of coming to a stop. I thought it may have been disengaging completely, but was also pointed downhill at a set of lights so wasn't sure.

      Do you know when the transmission fluid was last changed? It's a relatively cheap peace of mind, but be absolutely certain to use the fluids recommended here in other threads.

      Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Great, thanks. I reckon fluid is original at 105k, set to change this week.

      Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
      I tried to pay attention to this today. (Tried to make a video, but I almost crashed...) Anyhow, Mine seems to do the same thing, but it is barely noticeable. I'd say the flare is less than 50 RPM and of shorter duration. Your jerk in first could be the TCC not releasing fast enough, so, both symptoms could be explained by a sluggish TCC solenoid.
      Great thanks. Looks like I might have the first documented (on this forum) case of a 2011 VB/TC (or both) failure and this particular example has never towed anything. I guess I might've found why PO traded it - Will change the fluid and see where that gets me.

      Quote Originally Posted by ChitownV View Post
      Like John C said, it is normal and closer to 50rpm. The transmission tuning and the valve body is set for more comfort than the ZF units in the BMWs.

      There is a guy on youtube with a P3 T6 S60 that installed an upgraded valvebody on his TF-80 and when I watched his video, I thought it still shifted slower than BMW and the rev matching was slower. Maybe I got spoiled because I changed the tune on my BMW's ZF-8 to shift faster, increase line pressure, and remove the torque limiter.

      No hard shift into 1st here.
      Great thanks, looks like I've got an issue on my hands. It was missed by 3 separate PPI's by Volvo specialists (and also a dealer) totaling roughly $700. Will change the fluid and see where it gets me.

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2020
      Posts
      6
      Updating this. Did my first drain/fill today and the XC drives worlds better. Who knew shifts could be this smooth! For the record, I used Volvo 1161640 JWS3309 in my 587,000 chassis code V8. The fluid that came out of the trans still had a dark red tinge to it @106k miles. There was a stored code in VIDA for transmission fluid temperature range (could've been transmission oil temperature too high?), so thats interesting since it has never towed anything so not sure how someone managed to overheat the fluid. Maybe I was just misunderstanding what the code meant.
      Last edited by RyanXC90; 09-25-2020 at 04:24 PM.

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Chicago & D.C. Metro
      Posts
      867
      Great! Are you planning to do more drain/fills soon since it appears the fluid was never changed and already had fluid related issues?

      This transmission needs one thing to have a trouble-free life, simple fluid changes with the correct fluid.

      Cheers
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 155k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

      About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      Understanding why to use synthetic oil in your XC90
      Ultimate Transmission Fluid Guide for the 3.2 & V8
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed

    16. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. V8 XC90's (Including V8, V8 Sport, V8 R-Design)
      By R-Pow3R3d in forum FWD & AWD Cars For Sale
      Replies: 877
      Last Post: 10-20-2020, 02:22 PM
    2. Transmission Behavior: Downshift slip (VIDEO)?
      By swedeRacer3 in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 02-07-2020, 12:24 AM
    3. B8444s v8 & tf80sc
      By Austin V70R in forum FWD & AWD Parts For Sale
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 06-16-2018, 09:54 PM
    4. XC90 V8 TF80SC casing
      By mJrO in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 06-30-2017, 01:10 PM
    5. Replies: 12
      Last Post: 01-22-2017, 04:52 PM