Tire noise driver side
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 33 of 33
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Posts
      62

      Tire noise driver side

      Recently I noticed when I have the windows down, there is a "womp womp" noise (I think this is how this noise is usually described) coming from either front our rear (or both) tires on the driver side. I had that before with another car and the noise was coming from the brakes. This time I can clearly hear that it is a tire noise. I inspected both tires and I can't see any visible sign for an issue. Any ideas what this sound could be? As reminder: this is a 2019 S90 which was sitting on the lot for about 1 year before I bought it. I had it after 1000 miles back to the dealership and they replaced all 4 rotors. I started to notice this noise after I received the car back. Thank you in advance for your help.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member skywolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Marietta, GA
      Posts
      5,583
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack2020 View Post
      Recently I noticed when I have the windows down, there is a "womp womp" noise (I think this is how this noise is usually described) coming from either front our rear (or both) tires on the driver side. I had that before with another car and the noise was coming from the brakes. This time I can clearly hear that it is a tire noise. I inspected both tires and I can't see any visible sign for an issue. Any ideas what this sound could be? As reminder: this is a 2019 S90 which was sitting on the lot for about 1 year before I bought it. I had it after 1000 miles back to the dealership and they replaced all 4 rotors. I started to notice this noise after I received the car back. Thank you in advance for your help.
      Can you record it?
      2006 XC70 76k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Tacoma 14k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2007 XC70 65k - Black Stone/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2017 Miata RF GT 7k - Grey/Black
      2020 V90CC 1.9K - Osmium Gray/Maroon Brown - "Storm" | 2019 Honda Pilot 49K - Black/Black - "Toaster" - OpenPilot Development Guinea Pig
      Previous: 2013 XC70 | 2005 XC70 | 2005 V70 | 2007 XC70 | 2006 V70R | 1990 740 | 2019 XC90 | 2018 V90CC

    4. #3
      Member Gary-16-Xc90's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Twin Cities, MN
      Posts
      3,305
      FWIW. The built-in “Record and Send” app in Sensus is sensitive and useful for recording vehicle noises.

      “Record & Send
      Use this app to take voice notes while you are driving and then select up to 3 email addresses to send them to. Whether it is to remind yourself of the groceries you are thinking you need to purchase or note from a conversation with a client you had through your Bluetooth system Record and Send can take down the information. “




      All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Posts
      62
      Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      FWIW. The built-in “Record and Send” app in Sensus is sensitive and useful for recording vehicle noises.

      “Record & Send
      Use this app to take voice notes while you are driving and then select up to 3 email addresses to send them to. Whether it is to remind yourself of the groceries you are thinking you need to purchase or note from a conversation with a client you had through your Bluetooth system Record and Send can take down the information. “




      All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      Great tip, thank you! Will do and upload here.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2020
      Posts
      16
      Just a thought. A large stone or something like that caught in the tread can cause a slapping noise as it hits the ground with each rotation of the wheel...... I had it and found a very large roof staple that had both sides stuck in the tire and the center part was tapping on the ground..... I know you said there was nothing visible......

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Wayland, MA
      Posts
      529
      Stone or something is usually a higher pitched noise, like a *clack* but of course your *womp* may be different than mine so def worth a look!

      Womp Womp is typically a tire thing. Could be wheel bearing but not likely on a newer car. Did the car sit for a while before you drove it when you noticed the noise? Sometimes the tires start to get flat spotted if you haven't driven in a few days or longer. It could take some miles and heating up the tire to operating temp to get them suitably round again. Or it could be that the year sitting on the lot did that in a possibly permanent way and the tires just haven't gone back to shape. A defective tire could do that too, or the suspension is out of alignment and has worn the tread oddly, but that one is not that likely. Probably take a nice long ride if you haven't yet, and see if it persists.

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Posts
      62
      Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Stone or something is usually a higher pitched noise, like a *clack* but of course your *womp* may be different than mine so def worth a look!

      Womp Womp is typically a tire thing. Could be wheel bearing but not likely on a newer car. Did the car sit for a while before you drove it when you noticed the noise? Sometimes the tires start to get flat spotted if you haven't driven in a few days or longer. It could take some miles and heating up the tire to operating temp to get them suitably round again. Or it could be that the year sitting on the lot did that in a possibly permanent way and the tires just haven't gone back to shape. A defective tire could do that too, or the suspension is out of alignment and has worn the tread oddly, but that one is not that likely. Probably take a nice long ride if you haven't yet, and see if it persists.
      Right after I noticed the noise for the first time, I took a 800 miles business trip with the car and the noise is still there. Car has just little over 2k now. I tried to inspect all tires and can't see anything visible. As mentioned before, car was sitting on the lot for a year before I bought it but I don't think one year could cause that much of a damage. The dealership is almost one hour away and I really dont have the desire to go there again, hope to find the cause without going to the dealership. I will try to record the noise but I am not sure if it will be much more helpful. It is a "womp womp" or "helicoptor" noise which goes up with the frequency the faster I drive.

      BTW: You can only hear the noise when the window is down and there are not other louder surrounding noises (e.g. from other cars around you). Although you can hear it clearly when you listen carefully. Many other people might have similar noises and not notice it but I am very sensitive when it comes to noises on my cars and hear every little noise.
      Last edited by Jack2020; 09-21-2020 at 01:27 AM.

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      377
      Could it be a bad bearing? Or loose cable?

      Probably you have flat spot on the tires. Try to rotate the front back and check.

      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Harrison, Maine
      Posts
      369
      I hear that a lot on pickups with large, coarse tread tires. Always thought it was an alignment issue. Or perhaps a bent wheel. Experienced it once with Firestone tires. A friend following me noticed that the tire wasn't true. It wobbled from side to side--and there was zero evidence of the problem looking at wear pattern.

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Posts
      62
      So I just took the car for a ride to see if I can record the noise. It is very difficult, the internal app doesn't capture it and with my phone there is too much wind noise. What I can say now almost for sure, is that the noise is coming from one (or more) of the tires. You can hear it best when you pass a wall or another car. You can even hear it at ultra low speed. The reason I think it is from the tire is that when you drive very slowly, you hear the "squiky" rubber noise as you would squish a rubber. The noise is only at a certain area of the tire, therefore it comes and goes with the tire rotating. The tire pressure is ok. Can that be an issue with the car sitting for a long time on one spot? If so, than shouldn't it be with all 4 tires? Any ideas if this could be the reason and if warranty would cover it?

    13. #11
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      12,317
      I would have your alignment checked.

      Other thought is maybe that tire has internal damage - displaced belt, etc. not visible from the outside.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Posts
      12
      Cheapest thing to do is to swap / rotate your tires.

      Re diagnose.

      If you still hear it on the same front side, then it's not the tires.

    15. #13
      Quote Originally Posted by poopbunny View Post
      Cheapest thing to do is to swap / rotate your tires.

      Re diagnose.

      If you still hear it on the same front side, then it's not the tires.
      Exactly. Switch tire to other side to determine whether tire is a factor.
      1999 S70 T5 - Silver |•| 17" Moda R6 Wheels |•| ECU Upgrade |•| 3" IPD Exhaust |•| IPD Anti-Sway Bar |•| Black Grille
      1987 760 Turbo - sold at 260K miles • 1985 740 - totaled by semi • 1978 264 - traded in at 280K miles • 1974 144 - traded in at over 200K miles • 1972 142 - electronic fuel injection! - sold • 1969 144 - first Volvo in the family

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      31
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack2020 View Post
      Recently I noticed when I have the windows down, there is a "womp womp" noise (I think this is how this noise is usually described) coming from either front our rear (or both) tires on the driver side. I had that before with another car and the noise was coming from the brakes. This time I can clearly hear that it is a tire noise. I inspected both tires and I can't see any visible sign for an issue. Any ideas what this sound could be? As reminder: this is a 2019 S90 which was sitting on the lot for about 1 year before I bought it. I had it after 1000 miles back to the dealership and they replaced all 4 rotors. I started to notice this noise after I received the car back. Thank you in advance for your help.
      On mine it was a left rear wheel bearing. if it was after they replaced the rotors, they could possibly have damaged the bearing if they had to beat the rotors off due to rust.

    17. #15
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      772
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      I would have your alignment checked.
      I don't see how the alignment could be the culprit here.

      Tire damage, bent rim, or wheel bearing, possibly even wheel balance weight having come off are all suspects to me.

      Unless you drive a lot, and thus have very high milage, it seems too early for a wheel bearing to go on these cars (unless it was bad from the factory, that is)

      Is it associated with any vibration?

      The wheel rotation is probably the best diagnostic tip thus far.

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Posts
      62
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      I don't see how the alignment could be the culprit here.

      Tire damage, bent rim, or wheel bearing, possibly even wheel balance weight having come off are all suspects to me.

      Unless you drive a lot, and thus have very high milage, it seems too early for a wheel bearing to go on these cars (unless it was bad from the factory, that is)

      Is it associated with any vibration?

      The wheel rotation is probably the best diagnostic tip thus far.
      There is no vibration, the vibration was there before the swapped all 4 rotors. I am 95% sure that the noise is from the tires. As mentioned earlier you hear clearly a rubber noise when you go ultra low speed. I also just took it to the dealership and let them figure it out, will report back when they fix it.

      BTW, I thought the warping rotors issues are only with the bigger Volvos. I just got a 2020 v60 CC as loaner (has only 3k miles on) and the brakes vibrate the exact same way my warped brakes were vibrating prior to replacement. This is really insane that apparently almost every single Volvo has this issue and they still continue using these crappy brakes on all their cars!!!

    19. #17
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      12,317
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      I don't see how the alignment could be the culprit here.
      Of course it could - classic toe out symptom which is really common on Volvo's. Every time I take my car in for an alignment the toe is out and I have heard the same sound of rubber squeaking across pavement at low speeds.

      After driving for a while with it out of alignment the tires get cupped or feathered and you get that "womp womp" sound which is what OP is experiencing. Unfortunately, a lot of new cars get delivered with their alignment off and this is even more likely if the car sat around for awhile and was just moved around the lot, driven short distances.

      I look forward to OP's report on what the issue really was!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    20. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      377
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack2020 View Post
      There is no vibration, the vibration was there before the swapped all 4 rotors. I am 95% sure that the noise is from the tires. As mentioned earlier you hear clearly a rubber noise when you go ultra low speed. I also just took it to the dealership and let them figure it out, will report back when they fix it.

      BTW, I thought the warping rotors issues are only with the bigger Volvos. I just got a 2020 v60 CC as loaner (has only 3k miles on) and the brakes vibrate the exact same way my warped brakes were vibrating prior to replacement. This is really insane that apparently almost every single Volvo has this issue and they still continue using these crappy brakes on all their cars!!!
      The pads are the issue not the rotors. Volvo should change their OEM pads to either ceramic or better fit.

      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

    21. #19
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      772
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Of course it could - classic toe out symptom which is really common on Volvo's. Every time I take my car in for an alignment the toe is out and I have heard the same sound of rubber squeaking across pavement at low speeds.

      After driving for a while with it out of alignment the tires get cupped or feathered and you get that "womp womp" sound which is what OP is experiencing. Unfortunately, a lot of new cars get delivered with their alignment off and this is even more likely if the car sat around for awhile and was just moved around the lot, driven short distances.

      I look forward to OP's report on what the issue really was!
      Huh.

      I've definitely seen alignment be out and cause the squeaking around parking garages, but I've never seen it so bad that it has resulted in audible cupping on tires.

      Maybe if you ignore the issue for a very long time?

    22. #20
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      772
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack2020 View Post
      There is no vibration, the vibration was there before the swapped all 4 rotors. I am 95% sure that the noise is from the tires. As mentioned earlier you hear clearly a rubber noise when you go ultra low speed. I also just took it to the dealership and let them figure it out, will report back when they fix it.

      BTW, I thought the warping rotors issues are only with the bigger Volvos. I just got a 2020 v60 CC as loaner (has only 3k miles on) and the brakes vibrate the exact same way my warped brakes were vibrating prior to replacement. This is really insane that apparently almost every single Volvo has this issue and they still continue using these crappy brakes on all their cars!!!
      I hate to be nitpicky, but "warped rotors" really aren't a thing.

      The true cause of the vibrating sensation in the brakes is due to keeping the pedal pressed down while standing still and the brakes are hot.

      This "bakes" the pads against the hot rotors, causing a chemical change in the metal resulting in the rotors wearing unevenly, thus causing the vibration.

      This happens with all cars if you sit with the brake pedal pressed down at standstill when the brakes are hot, but I'm guessing that these new Volvo's just get hot brakes more easily, making the issue more likely.

      This was an issue on pretty much every car I ever owned, domestic and foreign, back when I was younger, more stupid and drove more aggressively.

      These days that my driving is more "zen" inspired (Accelerate slowly, leave enough space to the next car that you only ever need your brakes when coming to a standstill, and instead can coast down in speed) I haven't seen the issue in a long time, including on my S90.

      I vaguely remember doing research back in the day when I was young and irresponsible and drove "hard" all the time in order to find pads that are less likely to cause this issue when baking on rotors. This may have been the case with ceramic pads, but I can't remember. Someone else can probably chime in with more detail.

      Either way, as long as the brakes keep getting hot, and someone keeps the pads squeezed up against the rotors at standstill, this will keep happening over and over again.

      As for why it happens to the loaner? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that loaners often get driven pretty hard...
      Last edited by mattlach; 09-23-2020 at 04:04 PM.

    23. #21
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      12,317
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Huh.

      I've definitely seen alignment be out and cause the squeaking around parking garages, but I've never seen it so bad that it has resulted in audible cupping on tires.

      Maybe if you ignore the issue for a very long time?
      Yeah, I've wrecked a few sets of tires because I didn't get them aligned often enough and it's always toe that is out. I would be the perfect customer for a lifetime alignment because I'd be bringing it back every year at least.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Posts
      62
      So, just got my car back and they told me they could not hear anything extraordinary and this is the normal tire noise. I am not sure if they drove with the window down or not to hear the noise but the noise is clearly there and there is something fishy going on with the tires. I just didn't have the time and energy to argue with the service advisor and drove away. Interestingly enough, they replaced my rear pads because the second complain I had was squicking brake noises. As reminder, my car has just little over 2k miles on and they just replaced all 4 rotors 2 weeks ago. This has been already an interesting adventure in the first month of ownership with this car......

      Back to the tire noise, I have to say it annoys the heck out of me. I really hope it is nothing dangerous and the tire wont explode while driving. The noise is there and something must cause this noise. I think when next time I have some time, even though I have to pay for it, I will bring it to a tire shop and have them check everything (alignment/tire balance/tire condition). I am sure the guys in the tire shop will be much more competent for this specific issue than the ordinary Volvo mechanics.

    25. #23
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      12,317
      Interesting. Which tires do you have on your car?
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    26. #24
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Posts
      62
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Interesting. Which tires do you have on your car?
      Pierelli P-Zerro 19 inch

    27. #25
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      772
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack2020 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Interesting. Which tires do you have on your car?
      Pierelli P-Zerro 19 inch
      For the life of me I will never understand why Volvo went with Pirelli for the OE tires. I bought Pirelli tires once just over 15 years ago, and they were the worst trash I've ever had to endure. I vowed to never buy the brand again.

      When they came on my new S90 I decided right then and there they would come off and be replaced with something else at my earliest convenience.

      I use Continental DWS06's now, and I am very happy with them.

    28. #26
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Posts
      62
      Before heading to the tire shop and have them check alignment/balance and the all 4 tires I want to try to swap the two front tires (as proposed by one the members here) and see what is going on. While I have the car up, I can also turn the front wheels and see if there are any other sources which might cause the noise and also see what my brake pads are doing. Does anyone know the torque specification for the lug nuts (S90 2019 with 19 inch wheels)? The owners manual says 103 ft/lb but they don't different between wheel sizes and it sounds a little too low. Thank you in advance.

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      377
      Most likely this is due to a flat spot on the tire. I read somewhere that flat spot can cause a tire noise.

      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

    30. #28
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      12,317
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack2020 View Post
      Before heading to the tire shop and have them check alignment/balance and the all 4 tires I want to try to swap the two front tires (as proposed by one the members here) and see what is going on. While I have the car up, I can also turn the front wheels and see if there are any other sources which might cause the noise and also see what my brake pads are doing. Does anyone know the torque specification for the lug nuts (S90 2019 with 19 inch wheels)? The owners manual says 103 ft/lb but they don't different between wheel sizes and it sounds a little too low. Thank you in advance.
      That sounds about right - it's certainly not low by any stretch and there shouldn't be different torque standards for different wheel sizes.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Posts
      62
      Quote Originally Posted by Nerd23 View Post
      Most likely this is due to a flat spot on the tire. I read somewhere that flat spot can cause a tire noise.

      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
      Thank YOU!! I think you are right. This is the best explanation based on how the noise sounds and based on the history of the car. The Car was built in May 2018 and I just bought it 1 month ago with 200 miles on it. Is there any cure for that or do I need new tires? I would expect that all 4 tires have flat spots but I can only hear it from the front driver tire. I will still swap the 2 front tires and see if the noise changes.
      Last edited by Jack2020; 09-26-2020 at 09:18 AM.

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      377
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack2020 View Post
      Thank YOU!! I think you are right. This is the best explanation based on how the noise sounds and based on the history of the car. The Car was built in May 2018 and I just bought it 1 month ago with 200 miles on it. Is there any cure for that or do I need new tires? I would expect that all 4 tires have flat spots but I can only hear it from the front driver tire. I will still swap the 2 front tires and see if the noise changes.
      No cure for flat spots other than driving the car for awhile. In your car, I don't think that will help.

      Maybe for some reason the driver side lost air more than the other three tires. So, the flat spot effect was more severe in one tire.


      Anyway, you can do the following:
      1- Ensure the tire pressure is at 39 psi on all four tires. Then, test drive.

      2- Replace the driver side tire with the spare tire or a new replacement tire OR rotate tires from front to rear . Then, test drive.


      I wouldn't advise you to change all the 4 tires right away until we are 100% sure it's a tire issue.

      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Harrison, Maine
      Posts
      369
      Unless you are also getting vibration, which you say you don't, then I'm betting against the flat spot argument.

    34. #32
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Posts
      62
      Quote Originally Posted by Nerd23 View Post
      No cure for flat spots other than driving the car for awhile. In your car, I don't think that will help.

      Maybe for some reason the driver side lost air more than the other three tires. So, the flat spot effect was more severe in one tire.


      Anyway, you can do the following:
      1- Ensure the tire pressure is at 39 psi on all four tires. Then, test drive.

      2- Replace the driver side tire with the spare tire or a new replacement tire OR rotate tires from front to rear . Then, test drive.


      I wouldn't advise you to change all the 4 tires right away until we are 100% sure it's a tire issue.

      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

      Thank you for the tips, this is exactly what I did:

      1. Inflated all tires to 40 PSI and went for a 10 miles ride, nothing changed, noise still there.

      2. Swapped the two front tires. First of all I have to say the front jack points of the S90 are very confusing. The owners manual doesn't show anything about the details. When you look underneath, on the outer edge there are two big holes. There were few threads were people were discussing which ones are the right jack point. I decided to go for the triangle further towards the middle and placed my jack stands under. Volvo should do a better job clarify which one out of the 3 is the right jack point. The rear jack point is pretty clear. Anyway, put the front axle on jack stands and turned both tires and there was no noise at all. Took down both tires, inspected both and both were 100% intact. Inspected the brakes and I was very happy to see that I have more than 10mm pad on each side. Swapped the tires and took the car for a ride. And guess what: the noise is gone :-) Quite honestly I would have been surprised when it would have been still there. Anyway, is clear now that the noise was coming from the one tire and since there was not any visible damage, I assume there is a slight flat spot which causes the noise. The flat spot must be permanent, since I have been driving over 1000 miles since I heard the noise first. It can also be any other sort of internal tire damage.

      For now, I decided to keep the pressure at 40 for a while to get any other flat spots with the other tires out. What do you guys propose to do with the noisy tire? I am not sure if I just go ahead and buy a new tire or just drive and forget about the noise. In the same time I dont want to risk driving with an internally damaged tire. I dont know how far ordinary tire shops can diagnose and solve the issue, I might just take it in and explain them the situation.

      Anyway, any other tips would be highly appreciated! Thank you all so far helping diagnosing the issue!!
      Last edited by Jack2020; 09-26-2020 at 07:10 PM.

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      377
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack2020 View Post
      Thank you for the tips, this is exactly what I did:

      1. Inflated all tires to 40 PSI and went for a 10 miles ride, nothing changed, noise still there.

      2. Swapped the two front tires. First of all I have to say the front jack points of the S90 are very confusing. The owners manual doesn't show anything about the details. When you look underneath, on the outer edge there are two big holes. There were few threads were people were discussing which ones are the right jack point. I decided to go for the triangle further towards the middle and placed my jack stands under. Volvo should do a better job clarify which one out of the 3 is the right jack point. The rear jack point is pretty clear. Anyway, put the front axle on jack stands and turned both tires and there was no noise at all. Took down both tires, inspected both and both were 100% intact. Inspected the brakes and I was very happy to see that I have more than 10mm pad on each side. Swapped the tires and took the car for a ride. And guess what: the noise is gone :-) Quite honestly I would have been surprised when it would have been still there. Anyway, is clear now that the noise was coming from the one tire and since there was not any visible damage, I assume there is a slight flat spot which causes the noise. The flat spot must be permanent, since I have been driving over 1000 miles since I heard the noise first. It can also be any other sort of internal tire damage.

      For now, I decided to keep the pressure at 40 for a while to get any other flat spots with the other tires out. What do you guys propose to do with the noisy tire? I am not sure if I just go ahead and buy a new tire or just drive and forget about the noise. In the same time I dont want to risk driving with an internally damaged tire. I dont know how far ordinary tire shops can diagnose and solve the issue, I might just take it in and explain them the situation.

      Anyway, any other tips would be highly appreciated! Thank you all so far helping diagnosing the issue!!
      Glad that you found the bad tire. Your car is still new and you deserve to have it noise free.

      Try with the dealer that you bought the car from. They might be able to replace the bad tire under warranty (tire warranty). If not, ask them for a discount and compare the prices with other tire dealers.

      Keep the bad tire as a backup and in case needed in case it wasn't replaced under warranty.

      Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

    36. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Clunking noise under driver side when going over bump/uneven surface
      By kayster500 in forum The Suspension Forum
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 04-12-2010, 01:07 PM
    2. Noise coming from driver side front wheel
      By beefeater12 in forum C70 (1998-2004)
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
    3. Driver side wind noise
      By Vstylz in forum C70 (1998-2004)
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 01-19-2005, 08:19 PM
    4. Driver's side mirror wind noise
      By Kirb in forum S70, V70 & V70XC (1998-2000)
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 07-09-2004, 01:54 PM
    5. Weird wind noise coming from the driver's side?
      By mike_c70 in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 03-08-2004, 02:33 AM