SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Heater Hose Coolant Leak at Firewall

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jjoshua 
#1 ·
2004.5 S40 T5 has a heater hose leaking at the firewall. I know there have been some posts on this in the past, but don't see a sticky and not finding the posts I thought I had saved. Which hoses should be replaced and any details on how to replace? Appreciate the assistance.

Auto part Pipe Automotive exhaust Engine Vehicle

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Fuel line

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
It’s not a usually a hose it’s the gasket that’s in the hose, under the glove box area. The hose passes thru the firewall into the cabin where there you will see some clamps, that is usually the point of failure of the heater core itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
In my case, the quick connectors of the heater hoses were leaking. The plastic was disintegrating and was ready to let go. When I tried to disconnect them they broke. I ended up replacing those four hoses with genuine new ones that came with new connectors. It took me 1 hour to complete the job.

The hoses were fine. I could’ve just replaced the connectors with metal pipes and hose clamps as an alternative fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Mine disintegrated so I replaced them with brass unions. No worries now.

#5 ·
I was just thinking about that weakness in the cooling system that as I just got my blue silicone radiator hoses from VIVA in the mail. I think I will try to find brass unions as well. Are they available at Home Depot or Ace Hardware ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#7 ·
My 2007 gave out today just as I pulled into a parking space and shut the engine off. There was steam everywhere due to coolant hitting the hot exhaust. It was a pinhole leak but the connector fell apart when I touched it.

I'm glad I searched and saw this post.

I got a ride to the home store and purchased some 1" PEX couplers and hose clamps. I fixed the busted one in the parking lot and replaced the other one when I got home. $16 total for parts.

The hoses were fine. The hardest part of the repair was crushing the plastic that was still in the hose so it could be removed along with the metal bands.