Vent cables on 1968 1800S
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vent cables on 1968 1800S

I've moved to the interior on the restoration of my '68 1800S and I've encountered a problem with the cables that control the fresh air vents. I believe this same situation exists with the choke cable(s). The wire cable (number 99 on the diagram) runs through a sleeve (#100) that is crimped to the hollow shaft (#97) through which the actual handle (#98) that you pull slides. The wire cable goes into the pull handle trough a hole in the end and is kept attached to the handle via two holes in the handle through which the cable is apparently "flattened" so it does not slide back through the handle. I need to replace the two vent cables. I tried several methods to undo the "squished" section of the wire cable so I could extract it from the handle. First, I tried drilling the cable out through the holes in the handle. This was somewhat successful but it created burrs that would not allow the wire to slide out of the handle tube hole. I tried to pry the wire out. I tried to pull hard to get the wire cable out. All to no success. Finally, in trying to drill more aggressively, I compromised the hole in the handle and it broke. This same arrangement (handle with wire cable attached via the two holes in the handle) seems to have been Volvo's preferred method of attaching cables for the choke control as well as the vents. Is anyone familiar with this situation? Is there a preferred method of separating the cable wire from the handle? And of course there is the question of how best to re-attach the wire inside the handle once you get the old one out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. At this point I'm thinking I'll have to obtain another cable setup and leave the wire alone and just replace the outside sheath. Thanks for your insights.
      vent cable.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

John;

The inner cable was permanently fastened into molded-in metal part of Handle Assy, and not intended to be replaceable...that's not to say it couldn't be done, but you have found out it is probably not possible... I would say replacement with a used cable (from someone with parts donor cars, like Don Thibault) is your only option...I don't recall the termination method of the Bowden Cable at the vent-end (if a screw-down clamp like for Choke, which would allow disconnection and extraction OR an "S" bend into the linkage which I have also seen, in which case it would not be not extractable through sheath), but lubing the cable to minimize the friction of internal rust-on-rust is advisable in either case! (I expect this is what led to you wanting to replace it in the first place). I'd recommend thinning graphite filled grease with an evaporating solvent and pouring it into the sheath...yes its a mess, but once solvent has evaporated, the remaining graphite grease will forever lube the cable, and keep friction low and under control...and while you're lubing, I'd spot-apply non-migrating grease onto the parallelogram linkage pivots of the Vent as well!

I've noticed modern Bowden Cables assemblies used on bikes to motorbikes to lawnmovers and snowblowers have a low friction plastic liner between sheath and inner cable to prevent rust-on-rust friction and the resulting binding (not to suggest that they couldn't benefit from lubing, and that is what I recommend!). A lot of these arrangements use multi-strand inner cable, which cannot transfer a push (because "you can't push a rope"...well, you CAN, but it wont do much at the other end!), so a return spring is typically installed at the remote end, but in the case of the 1800 Vent, since the control cable uses a solid inner cable, it can transfer both pull AND push action, and no return spring is necessary at the Vent...

Cheers

Looks like the cables are available in a new repro part. haven't checked elsewhere.

https://classicvolvoparts.co.uk/part...Control_Cables

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks Ron. I managed to salvage one of the units by snipping off the s bend in the end of the cable and removing it from the sheath, then taking a new sheath, cutting it to length, inserting the wire and then making a new s bend. But Craig300 seems to have identified an after market product that looks perfect. Thanks as always for you considerable expertise and suggestion on the graphite lube.
      john

Thanks Craig, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. I wonder if they have the one for the choke as well. Its the same type of set up as the vent. The picture of the vent cable looks like it might be long enough. I'm going to measure the choke cable before I call them. Great find. Thanks again.
      john

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements