Oil Consumption Test, but overfilled
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Oil Consumption Test, but overfilled

I brought my V60CC in for an oil change this morning then to set up another oil consumption test. I checked my oil after letting the car sit for a few hours and it's overfilled, is this common? Is the dealership trying to get out of doing a ring job by having the oil be full when I bring it back? It says they put 6q in but the capacity is 5.8. Could .2 Q really move the oil level that high on the dipstick when on a flat surface?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For some engines like the 3 liter T6 it can take a long time for the oil to drain back into the crankcase, which potentially can lead to overfilling if someone checks the oil level immediately after shutting the car down. I am not sure about the engine in your car however.

Maybe a little extreme but I only check the oil first thing in the morning.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

+1

check it when the oil is cold in the morning after the car sits all night. That will be your most accurate reading, but make sure you check the dipstick when the car is level. I doubt the dealer would overfill by much..I'm sure there is a 1/2 quart or so tolerance on overfilling
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It could easily just be a mistake by the dealer, but it is a little concerning that it was "overfilled" at the beginning of an oil consumption test cycle. You would think the accuracy of the oil level at the beginning of the test would be pretty important to get right. At first glance, it could easily be interpreted as a deceptive way to "cheat" the test.

I guess it all depends on how the oil consumption test is outlined and how oil consumption is measured. It may be that the protocol requires a slight over fill with a very specific amount of oil at the beginning of the test. Slight overfill won't hurt the engine and may be done when heavy oil consumption is suspected as a means of preventing the oil level from going below the safe operating threshold during the duration of the test.

It is probably more accurate to fully drain the system, then add a known exact amount of oil at the beginning of the test, rather than rely on the tech to wait the appropriate amount of time for drain down and slowly add and gauge the oil level with the dipstick multiple times until it is exactly right.

I checked it this morning, it's at the same level. I'll just take note of this and if there are issues with the dealer I will confront them about the overfill and then get VNCA involved. I am tired of dealing with this issue, and am running out of time on the CPO to have this resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by PolestarDream View Post
      I checked it this morning, it's at the same level. I'll just take note of this and if there are issues with the dealer I will confront them about the overfill and then get VNCA involved. I am tired of dealing with this issue, and am running out of time on the CPO to have this resolved.
      You might want to check how they track/measure oil in a consumption test. Audi's process was to weigh it on the way in and on the way out.

I had similar experience with my 2012 S60.

What the dealer told me and did during the consumption test is contrary to what I've read here but I didn't argue since they were replacing the piston rings for free -- they told me that the best measurement of oil level is when the car has been just turned off or else "all the oil would be down in the pan" and that's not how it's supposed to be. TBH I never got a clear answer on what's the proper way of measuring the oil level...
      2012 S60 T5, original purchase date May 2011

I was told you have to wait 15 minutes so all the oil could drain back into the pan, or check it in the morning before you start the car. I so far have been lucky my ‘12 s60 at 57000 on the clock is not using any oil. I also remember when the first VW rabbits with the overhead cam engine the rep said it could burn a quart per 1000 miles as normal consumption...

Quote Originally Posted by Scargot5s View Post
      I was told you have to wait 15 minutes so all the oil could drain back into the pan, or check it in the morning before you start the car. I so far have been lucky my ‘12 s60 at 57000 on the clock is not using any oil. I also remember when the first VW rabbits with the overhead cam engine the rep said it could burn a quart per 1000 miles as normal consumption...
      VWAG was in denial on the oil consumption issue for years. Turns out the valve stem seals which worked just fine in the European market turned to something resembling concrete due to our emission-mandated higher operating temps. The seals were reengineered and a recall was issued but the pre-'78 cars were left out in the cold. We changed the seals on hundreds of the '73-'77 cars.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here. WWRBGD

Please *VOTE*

As far as I know, the oil should be checked an hour or so after the engine is shut down, so that all of the oil has drained down into the pan. If there is significant oil sitting at various locations inside the engine, then the dipstick reading will not be accurate. Since oil expands when it is hot, and contracts when it is cold, there will be a small difference in the oil level between a stone cold engine, and a warm engine. This is standard practice.

from day one of my car maintenance journey, which started around 1970, the proper way to check oil was to let the engine sit if it had been running and then pull the dipstick, wipe it off, and then insert it again, pull it, then check it.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements