SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Car Taking long to start

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Adriaan 
#1 ·
Hi all. For the last 2 months I've noticed my car takes long to start and maybe even sounds like it doesn't want to start but it ends up starting. It takes about 5-8 seconds to start when it's cold and random times when its hot. I even had the 10 second starter not start it once.

I plugged it into VIDA and got no trouble codes other than the passenger compartment light not working because of the LED thats using too little voltage. Is something about to break is does it always take that long?

#3 ·
Primary culprits for mine were my throttlebody and my MAF going bad. It took nearly 2 months of this to pop a MAF specific performance code, and not just a generic P0101.

#4 ·
I don't know if it is common on our P1's but I've been having a similar issue with my 2010 XC70 that I suspect is a faulty fuel line check valve at the fuel pump. When I first go to start it in the morning or after it has sat for some time it may take two presses of the start button to get it to start. After that it generally starts quickly during the rest of the day but occasionally it will take a bit longer. On the P3 forums here there are several threads about the fuel pump check valves failing and allowing fuel to drain back into the tank rather than stay in the fuel line for the next start. I've checked the fuel pressure using VIDA and another OBDII reader and it drops significantly on my XC70 after I shut off the engine. I haven't actually checked the behavior on my S40 and I don't know if it relies on the same mechanism or if it starts the fuel pump early to build pressure before starting the car. Fuel pressure before starting and after shutdown might be something to check.

#10 ·
What happens if you power up the car, but do not start it for a short time, say, 10-15 seconds?

#12 ·
Fuel pumps have a diaphragm that is supposed to hold the fuel at the injectors so that when you crank the fuel is ready to be burned. Sounds like the pump diaphragm has gone to pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#13 ·
Fuel pumps have a diaphragm that is supposed to hold the fuel at the injectors so that when you crank the fuel is ready to be burned. Sounds like the pump diaphragm has gone to pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Might be this. Do you know if that part alone can be replaced or do I need to replace the pump?

#15 ·
Had similar problem recently with a T5.
I fixed 2 problems at the same time so not sure which one was the problem.
1. the vacuum pipe for the brake booster had a small crack that I fixed.
2. the throttle body was very dirty and needed a good clean.
After these 2 fixes the car starts first time after standing overnight.
The pickup from idling is now much smoother than before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.