USB Voice Control Nerfed All Voice
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

USB Voice Control Nerfed All Voice

Ugh, after the whole map debacle, I now realized my car has no voice control, the area is completely greyed out. This occurred after performing the USB stick update which reported as successful. I tried to upload it again and it says "Newer version already installed." I verified my master language is US English. All of the other languages show as greyed out as well. This is what the screen looks like, this is so frustrating.

Any suggestions? This is a 2016, I've never had issues before, but something about the last total system update performed in early August really messed this thing up.

'16 Volvo XC90 R-Design - Passion Red - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
      '18 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Tri-coat Red - Performance Upgrade Package, Enhanced AutoPilot
      SOLD - '13 XC60 R-Design - Ice White - Platinum, Climate Pkg w/ Boosters, BLIS

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
      Ugh, after the whole map debacle, I now realized my car has no voice control, the area is completely greyed out. This occurred after performing the USB stick update which reported as successful. I tried to upload it again and it says "Newer version already installed." I verified my master language is US English. All of the other languages show as greyed out as well. This is what the screen looks like, this is so frustrating.

Any suggestions? This is a 2016, I've never had issues before, but something about the last total system update performed in early August really messed this thing up.

Make sure that you shut off your vehicle, and leave it locked for at least 10 min. If that does not work, you may wish to call Volvo Customer Care to report the issue and write up a case.

I found that my car resolved its issues on its own over the course of a week. I turned on WiFi in my home garage and connected to the internet.

Not knowing for certain, I assumed it was a server-related issue - as everything came back to normal within 4-7 days.

Hopefully, yours will be resolved much sooner.

The common theme with the road map
      up dates sure seems to be MY16 XC90s. Maybe coincidental but may be some difference in the hardware and/or code. I am confident that it will get figured out now that it is being more broadly reported.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
      A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Make sure that you shut off your vehicle, and leave it locked for at least 10 min. If that does not work, you may wish to call Volvo Customer Care to report the issue and write up a case.

I found that my car resolved its issues on its own over the course of a week. I turned on WiFi in my home garage and connected to the internet.

Not knowing for certain, I assumed it was a server-related issue - as everything came back to normal within 4-7 days.

Hopefully, yours will be resolved much sooner.

The common theme with the road map
      up dates sure seems to be MY16 XC90s. Maybe coincidental but may be some difference in the hardware and/or code. I am confident that it will get figured out now that it is being more broadly reported.

A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      It's been over a week since I updated the Voice Control, and the issue has persisted. Given I updated via USB, I don't think it's a server side issue. I feel like the latest total system update seems to have broke the update system, maybe MY16 was being handled differently before and the latest update deprecated some backwards compatibility. I emailed my dealer. Is there a path to open a formal case with Volvo?
      '16 Volvo XC90 R-Design - Passion Red - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
      '18 Tesla Model 3 Performance - Tri-coat Red - Performance Upgrade Package, Enhanced AutoPilot

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I contacted Volvo, they said I'd have to take it to a dealer, which is disheartening since my extended warranty has a deductible. The hassle factor as well, I'll probably just have to live with it and hope Volvo figures something out.

I contacted Volvo, they said I'd have to take it to a dealer, which is disheartening since my extended warranty has a deductible. The hassle factor as well, I'll probably just have to live with it and hope Volvo figures something out.
      Give it a try and hope they can cover it as part of "free software upgrade". This is like the situation when a software upgrade in annual service was not successful, they surely would have to fix it.
      Best wishes.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237344 miles [2020-10-13]

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Give it a try and hope they can cover it as part of "free software upgrade". This is like the situation when a software upgrade in annual service was not successful, they surely would have to fix it.
      Best wishes.
      Legacy auto-makers, I just feel like they'd make it a warranty claim so they can bill back to Volvo. However, my factory warranty just expired, and my VIP plan just started and there's a $100 deductible. On principle alone, I won't pay $100 for them to fix their own issue. I escalated my YouTube videos through Volvo, hopeful they work something out. Until then, CarPlay it is. My next service next Summer will have a complete software update, I'll verify it's fixed before I leave. I did ask my dealer to please fix this and waive the deductible considering this seems to be a side effect of my previous service. We shall see.

It's been over a week since I updated the Voice Control, and the issue has persisted. Given I updated via USB, I don't think it's a server side issue. I feel like the latest total system update seems to have broke the update system, maybe MY16 was being handled differently before and the latest update deprecated some backwards compatibility. I emailed my dealer. Is there a path to open a formal case with Volvo?
      Did you buy the vehicle from the dealer that is servicing it? Did you buy the extended warranty from the same dealer?

If yes to both questions, give your dealer a call to see if they will waive the deductible.

My dealer said they would waive the deductible (if they do the service). Sure enough, I had an issue that was covered by the extended warranty, and the dealer waived the deductible.

No harm in asking in any case without driving to the dealer.

A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      Did you buy the vehicle from the dealer that is servicing it? Did you buy the extended warranty from the same dealer?

If yes to both questions, give your dealer a call to see if they will waive the deductible.

My dealer said they would waive the deductible (if they do the service). Sure enough, I had an issue that was covered by the extended warranty, and the dealer waived the deductible.

No harm in asking in any case without driving to the dealer.

A fine MY16 XC90 T8
      I bought the car there and have been a long standing customer. I did buy the warranty from Steingold. The car is going in on October 8th, my SA said he'd have to diagnose it before being able to speak anything regarding charges/deductibles. Once diagnosed, I hope they waive it. If they don't, I'll get the car back and work through Volvo directly to see if they want to do what's right. They were easy to get in touch with yesterday and pleasant, but they just said there's not much they can do except have it go to the dealer. I think if it came into a fees thing, with my YouTube videos and the particular issue, they'd probably be willing to work something out with the dealer.

UPDATE: My car has been at the dealer for two weeks, and they haven't been able to resolve it. I'm losing confidence unfortunately.

The last update was that they think the USB port is defective and are replacing it. That part just came in, so I should have an update next week. Considering CarPlay works, maps actually are recognized and seemingly loaded, I'm not convinced there's anything wrong, nor am I convinced it'll suddenly get Voice Control back after.

I'll keep everyone posted, but they gave us a 2020 XC90 as loaner, while it's a FWD T5, it's sufficient. I miss the low end off-the-line power of the T6, but admittedly the T5 feels more refined/smoother. Also, this car has the optional booster seat which is SUPER nice, I wish our R-Design had that.

UPDATE: My car has been at the dealer for two weeks, and they haven't been able to resolve it. I'm losing confidence unfortunately.

The last update was that they think the USB port is defective and are replacing it. That part just came in, so I should have an update next week. Considering CarPlay works, maps actually are recognized and seemingly loaded, I'm not convinced there's anything wrong, nor am I convinced it'll suddenly get Voice Control back after.

I'll keep everyone posted, but they gave us a 2020 XC90 as loaner, while it's a FWD T5, it's sufficient. I miss the low end off-the-line power of the T6, but admittedly the T5 feels more refined/smoother. Also, this car has the optional booster seat which is SUPER nice, I wish our R-Design had that.
      If they can't fix it with factory reset/ total software update, sounds like they will have to replace the Sensus hardware module with fresh software?

Maybe you will get a updated Sensus hardware.

I'm dealing with this same issue in my XC60, BrianV, so I hope you'll keep us updated.
      Driving a 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by mferranti View Post
      I'm dealing with this same issue in my XC60, BrianV, so I hope you'll keep us updated.
      It's frustrating, despite the YouTube videos, Volvo Customer Service just doesn't seem interested and just insists taking it to the dealer, but my dealer similarly is not well equipped to troubleshoot this. Hopefully a handful of these are reported and chewing up resources at dealers so Volvo takes notice. I kind of feel bad for my dealer and service advisor, they spend so much time on this and probably won't get much compensation for their time.

It's frustrating, despite the YouTube videos, Volvo Customer Service just doesn't seem interested and just insists taking it to the dealer, but my dealer similarly is not well equipped to troubleshoot this. Hopefully a handful of these are reported and chewing up resources at dealers so Volvo takes notice. I kind of feel bad for my dealer and service advisor, they spend so much time on this and probably won't get much compensation for their time.
      Volvo customer service is not a technical department and of course can do nothing to help diagnose. Only dealer can help and get hooked to Volvo technicians.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Volvo customer service is not a technical department and of course can do nothing to help diagnose. Only dealer can help and get hooked to Volvo technicians.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      I'm aware of that, but I kindly asked them to just pass along the feedback and YouTube videos to a technical team so I knew they were aware of it, and they refused to do that and insisted I go to the dealer, which is not super convenient for something that probably needs to be fixed via new download files. I just wish they did more. I know for fact that if someone called the customer service of my company (a huge worldwide brand) and brought YouTube videos of something failing, for the best interest of company and customer, they would kindly send those to an appropriate product/engineering department.

Anyways, my car is STILL at the dealer, the dealer has no clue what they're doing. They bet big on the USB port, which I told them was a goose chase. It was funny to watch the service advisor call me today and you could tell in his voice he was embarrassed to say, "Well... Brian, it turns out the USB port did not fix the problem, we are back to square 1..."

At least I have a loaner, but loaners aren't without issues (smells funny, not as featured, no Sirius XM, settings aren't fully dialed in), etc. Going on 3 weeks now, when my offer to Volvo was to send this to some Sensus division and allow them to noodle on it.

That said, you're statement is right, I just don't think for a "software issue" in 2020 that it's the best approach, but I only work for one of the largest software companies in the world...

I discovered today that it's not just the Voice Control that's completely gone in my XC60, but voice navigation prompts aren't given any more. Not from the Sensus nav system and not from a phone plugged into the console USB and running Waze. Also, text messages appear in the display but can't be read out by Sensus.

I'll see what the folks at Steingold Volvo say about the issue on Wednesday.
      Driving a 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by mferranti View Post
      I discovered today that it's not just the Voice Control that's completely gone in my XC60, but voice navigation prompts aren't given any more. Not from the Sensus nav system and not from a phone plugged into the console USB and running Waze. Also, text messages appear in the display but can't be read out by Sensus.

I'll see what the folks at Steingold Volvo say about the issue on Wednesday.
      Yup, same for me. I'd be fine without the map stuff since I don't use it, but the lack of Text Message voice control was the deal breaker for me.

My dealer has thrown in the towel, they've tried everything. My SA said they've got some VPN remote control setup going and some engineer in Sweden is going to remotely take over the car tomorrow. We shall see, but what a crap show...

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements