SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Oil on Spark Plug

553 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  superlightflyer 
#1 ·
So I just did my 75K service on my 2010 V50. Changed all the spark plugs, among other things. The dealership that I bought the car from had just done an oil change, however they overfilled by at least a quart of oil. They had also managed to spill oil all over the top of the engine. I had drained the extra quart out right after I'd discovered it, couldn't have been more that 200-300 miles like that. I then cleaned all the oil off the top of the motor.

While doing the plug change, I pulled the plug out of the #4 cylinder (counting from left to right) and it was covered in oil. It was the only one like this. I don't get any blue smoke out the exhaust, and the car actually just passed emissions like this.

When the car is running, there's a burning oil smell that comes from the engine bay, but does NOT come through the vents. It can only be noticed from the outside.

Anyone have any ideas on why the engine is doing this? Car isn't really having any other problems, doesn't run rough, etc...

#2 ·
Burning oil smell is normal. Short of taking it to a wash station and using the engine degreaser setting, you can either hand clean it off and it'll go away faster or use some dawn and a gentle brush.

I would relatively ignore it till it's gone if nothing is leaking. Remember when you shut off the car, the lack of coolant circulation means everything heats up more, and it wouldn't shock me if you get to about 260*F on the top of that engine, therefore evap/burning the oil on it from the spill.

Your cat prolly took a beating from the excess oil being burned, but otherwise, no worse for the wear. I would clean up and reuse the spark plug and check again in 100, 200, 500, and 1000mi or so to see if the problem returns.

#3 ·
Cool thanks for the quick response. Forgot to mention, this is the T5 2.5L with turbo. The burning smell comes from the engine bay when the car is running, not just after shutdown. it's been about 4000 miles since I cleaned up all the oil on the top of the engine, do you think it is most likely still residual from the original spill?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.