SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2005 s40 t5 awd m66 - car cranking but no ignition

344 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  kalvano 
#1 · (Edited)
[solved] 2005 s40 t5 awd m66 - car cranking but no ignition

Hey guys,

I recently bought a 2005 s40 (t5 awd m66) off a buddy, the car was in ok shape but hadn't been driven for a while. He'd had a coolant leak at the heater core o-ring and had bypassed the heater.

At this point the car started and drove normally.

I replaced the heater core, and swapped out the upper and lower rad hoses while I had the airbox out. While I was doing this I had the battery out and on a trickle charger.

After reassembling everything and putting the battery back in (with the key in position 2), the car would crank but not ignite. I now had a new code on the display "Reduced Engine Performance". I pulled the battery again, charged it again (trying to start the car a few times had significantly drained it), and this time didn't put the key in position 2 before reconnecting the battery. Before starting I checked the display messages and the limp mode code was gone, but when I cranked it I again didn't get any ignition, and the Reduced Engine Performance code re-appeared.

I don't have a VIDA/DICE setup (yet), or a code reader to get any specifics from the computer.

My best guess is I forgot to re-connect something somewhere but before tearing everything out of the center console and engine bay again I figured I'd check here in case this is some kind of easily solved immobilizer issue.

Thanks guys.

edit: it was the crank position sensor. i broke one of the wires putting in the upper hose (probably).

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.