SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Sqeal when moving forward with wheels turned

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Facusan 
#1 ·
I know there are many of these threads but nothing seemed to quite match what I was hearing.

A few notes:
* Only seems to happen when moving forward at low speeds (haven't tried taking a corner fast with the steering this far turned.
* Metallic-ish sqeak, thinking maybe brake related (shield, or pads somehow)
* Does not happen while stationary (ie turning the wheel while still doesn't make this noise).

Here is a video, noise starts around 12 seconds in:

Here is a picture of approx how far the wheels are turned. Again, I was not able to find any rubbing around the wheels themselves in this position, there seems to be plenty of clearance.
Land vehicle Vehicle Alloy wheel Car Tire

Has anyone heard this before? Was worried it was steering pump related but I thought it would be easy to reproduce it while stationary and turning the wheels (most force on the rack in this case). I also suspected maybe the CV joints? but from what I have read, they sound more like a clicking noise when going bad and the boots all seem good still.

Thanks!

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
Sounds like mine.

For me it is my pads rubbing on the rotors - for some reason my pad retaining clips are not holding the pads off the rotors during a full steering lock turn in the front. Causes some vibration for me that sounds similar.

#3 ·
I also think is the brake pads rubbing on the rotor.

My C70 does the same thing. But my S40 does not. The difference between both is the C70 has semi-metallic pads while the S40 has ceramic pads. Both have 300mm front brakes.

Yesterday I ordered new akebono ceramic pads for the C70. I’ll leave an update if that fixes the squeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I forgot to add:

I found it only does the squeal when the brakes are hot (like a normal stop at a light from 45mph. Not a panic stop). When cold it does not squeal at all.

What type of brake pads you guys using? (Ceramic, semi-metallic, organic, etc)

Also, all of you have 300 mm brakes??

#5 ·
Thanks for the input guys, really appreciated.

The brake definitely makes some sense to me and I will check it out.

I have 320mm front brakes, I was just testing mine around the block and was able to make this noise pulling back into my driveway (so they were not hot).

I don't know what they are made of, the place I bought the car from had installed them to pass safety I think. So my guess is they are likely some of the cheapest ones you can get for this car. I do notice a lot of dust from them, kind of a brownish colour.

#6 ·
In my case the C70 came with the finest and cheapest pads from autozone. $25/set.

I bet your dealer did not put brembos in your car.

#7 ·
If this is the case then I can live with the noise until I have to replace the brakes.

I'm not sure of the best way to test the theory though, I wonder if while cold and I can reproduce the sound, spray some water on the rotors and see if the sound changes or goes away.

#8 ·
Mine are Carbon Ceramics from PowerStop.

A - buy and replace the retaining clips - Cheap like $10 and can be done just by removing the wheel.
B - buy some of the brakepad no squeal from CRC - Spray down the back of the pads and they're supposed to stick to the caliper better - requires removal of wheel and caliper.

#9 ·
I took the wheel off to get further into this and check what kind of brake retention clips I need.

I noticed the dust shield slightly bend at a weird angle on the bottom of the shield, possibly bumping into the ball joint when turning. I straightened it out and pushed it back a away from the rotor a bit more and after a quick test I didn't hear the noise anymore. I did a few slow u-turns and pulling into the driveway with no noise.

Will update if the noise comes back, but I think in my case it might have just been the shield.

#11 ·
It was the dust shield!.

Today I took off both rotors and found the passenger side dust shield had a little shiny spot that somehow made contact with the rotor.

#12 ·
I vote dust shields scraping the rotors.

#14 ·
I drove mine today and no squeal so far.

Also I forgot to say i sprayed the back of the pads with brake quiet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.