SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Removing boost lock 1st 2nd gear

3K views 42 replies 7 participants last post by  prometey1982 
#1 ·
hello sweedespeed community I've owned 2 s60r and my second is a 04 automatic AW55-51SN. I've spent so much money getting it to stage zero, there are zero leaks zero check engine lights or warning. But i have a huge pet peeve, 10 psi or less at 1st and 2nd gear.... i want to remove that without a tune upgrade. I don't have down pipe I don't have intercooler upgrade so I'm not ready for a stage 1 or 2 tune. All I want is the stupid bodylimiter removed. Did anyone know of any options or actions i could take to remove that?

#2 ·
You gotta get a tune, this is baked into the ECU and no real way to change it without modifying the software. Stage one is suitable for stock cars.

Check out Hilton Tuning, he does good work.

Honestly I wouldn’t do it, the AW55 doesn’t have a very good reputation for holding lots of torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Thanks for the info, thought there might be a way to just unlock this somehow. I'm not ready for a tune. No Dp, front mount or exhaust so deoppimg 450 on a tune doesn't make sense yet.

You gotta get a tune, this is baked into the ECU and no real way to change it without modifying the software. Stage one is suitable for stock cars.

Check out Hilton Tuning, he does good work.

Honestly I wouldn't do it, the AW55 doesn't have a very good reputation for holding lots of torque

#3 · (Edited)
+1. Gustav is also recommended. Really? An AW55 should handle 300-400 HP if done right. That is an urban myth. There is a company that will rebuild the Trans to handle 500+ hp. It’s about 4-5k, but if your investing in your R with power then do it right or go manual.

#5 ·
Yeah I just want full stock boost at lower gears. It feels so dead compared to my old 6 speed. I dont see why the tranny would fail at stock boost and I dont beat my car up.

+1. Gustav is also recommended. Really? An AW55 should handle 300-400 HP if done right. That is an urban myth. There is a company that will rebuild the Trans to handle 500+ hp. It's about 4-5k, but if your investing in your R with power then do it right or go manual.

#6 ·
What is Gustav?

#11 ·
Newer transmission with updated components, most of the AW55's issues were worked out by 2008 especially in P1 cars. It also helps that the C30 is 6-700lbs lighter.

2004 and 2005 automatic Rs have pretty much all faced shift flares, bang shifts, and other issues at some point.

#12 ·
Gotcha. Near the 450-60whp currently and will be going hybrid turbo next year. Gonna have the trans built to match anyway. Could be a ticking time bomb but that is the game I play. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#13 ·
Use Mobil 3309 only, I'm at 200k and it shifts better than ever with a case full of 3309.

#14 ·
The guy I'm gonna use for the trans has been building Volvo performance trans up to 750 hp rated and matching converter and stall since the early 70s.

#17 ·
What car did you switch the AW55 to a TF80??? Can't do that in a 04-05 R.

#19 ·
I’m pushing 1.8-9 bar with zero issues thus far. Russian roulette??????

#20 ·
I'm pushing 1.8-9 bar with zero issues thus far. Russian roulette??????

Tell your seconds. Turbo pressure means nothing. I had 1.5 bar boost and 7.6 0-100 km/h on XC90. But after I removed torque limiter I got 6.3 0-100.

#31 ·
#32 ·
Ahaha. How much you are spent on your car tell nothing about acceleration of your car. All this shining metall in only shining metall. You can spend 100.000$ on your car and it also means nothing. Only number means everything. Here are my numbers https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?605367-Build-engine-for-400-BHP&p=7710087&viewfull=1#post7710087
And where are yours? I think that your haven't numbers))) And it's an answer to initial question.

Whatever man. Your right....it's a stock block with a stock turbo doing 6.5 seconds to 60mph and 15 seconds in the quarter mile.

Here's some numbers 3200 pounds approximately 500 bhp. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to fill in the holes. And I only posted my build sheet because you "assume" that you know me or my cars. I know a thing or two about making cars quick. We don't even post numbers for our drag car. Not that I'm in the bad habit of "assuming", but I will make a concession. I will assume that from your vast knowledge of going fast that you understand why our car has N/T on the front and rear windscreens.

Here's a vid for you to watch. I'm sure by the end of the video you'll know which car is ours.

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=Wow+lapeer

Maybe if you'd spend some more time asking and not telling while spending a bit of money you too can improve your Pooch mobile.

Good luck.

#33 ·
Blah-blah again. Your car with stock K16 turbo has about 320 bhp. You can't get more from this turbo in real world. Only in dreams. Also your car is FWD. It means that you can't realize even 300bhp on streets. Only glue can help you. S60 T5 FWD with AW55 which I flashed has 6 secs to 100 km = 62,14mph and about 320-330bhp. And owner can't accelerate faster due to wheels slipping.

#34 ·
You're clearly an armchair warrior. Elevates c30 is dynoed at 374 whp at 18 psi. I'm running 98 octane with water/meth at 27-28 psi. Again, do the math. When it's hot out 65f and up I have no problem putting the power down with 245/40 ContiExtreme Contact 6s. I understand that it is hard for you to wrap your head around it. But it is what it is.

#35 ·
Yes, it's very difficult to understand turbo perfomance. How can stock K16 turbo produce more than 320bhp if Ford Focus ST owners replace they K16 turbos to K24 from S60R to increase engine power? Boost at 3000 rpm it's not what take you power. Check your boost at 6000 rpm and you got an answer to a question about power of your engine. Don't refer to other's results check yours. It's only way to progress. Or you'll continue live in your dreams.

#36 ·
I suppose you think that Elevate is lying too. You must be a conspiracy theorist.

#37 ·
Again, I suggest taking your own measurements rather than believing the advertisements. Dyno run costs not big money. Just do it. And buy Dragy or some other measurement tool and measure your acceleration. You can post lots of this bull**** but only your own resuts mean.

#38 ·
Have a nice day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.