98 V70 AWD - need some ideas
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

98 V70 AWD - need some ideas

Hey guys. Picked up my first Volvo and have been slowly bringing it back to life. Items

Car info:
      1998 V70 AWD
      108,000 miles
      Driveshaft is in and functional as far as I can tell.
      Check engine light on for rear 02 sensor.

Items done in the last 2 weeks:

New PCV
      Tune up - all OE items including plugs, wires, cap and rotor
      Oil change and new filter
      New top engine mount with poly bushing.
      Updated oil tube and dipstick
      Fresh gas

Car is running super smooth since doing the tune up, it ran really ****ty and the engine mount was totally destroyed. But it has no acceleration. I know its not an R and I am not expecting it to be super fast obviously, but it has no pickup whatsoever. It just chugs along super slow. The engine sounds ok and I can hear the turbo spinning but I just thought it would have a little more oomph. Where should I be looking now that all the tune up items are checked off?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The first step is to evaluate the engine's behavior sitting in Park. How quickly can it build RPMs? Can it hit 4000 RPMs? Problems intrinsic to the engine (compression, timing, fuel delivery, air-fuel mix, spark quality) should reveal themselves in this mode.

If you get in running good in "P", then that only leaves the tranny and drivetrain as issues out on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
      The first step is to evaluate the engine's behavior sitting in Park. How quickly can it build RPMs? Can it hit 4000 RPMs? Problems intrinsic to the engine (compression, timing, fuel delivery, air-fuel mix, spark quality) should reveal themselves in this mode.

If you get in running good in "P", then that only leaves the tranny and drivetrain as issues out on the road.
      In P it can rev to 4000 but its slow and the motor sounds like its struggling to get there. The car is not registered so I have not yet hit highway speeds but I dont feel confident it could merge into traffic fast enough.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I was also told to check the TCV so I'll be doing that tomorrow

When you were replacing spark plugs, did you check compressions? Did any of the plugs look fouled? Smell any unburned gas in exhaust?

One trick you can do with a dinosaur like this (not possible with coil-pack ignition) is, while it's idling, unplug one spark plug cable at a time for a second or two. If that cylinder is underperforming, you note how little impact it has taking away that spark. Wear thick rubber gloves, and drape rubberized rug mat over fender to insulate your body.
      Last edited by pbierre; 09-27-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
      When you were replacing spark plugs, did you check compressions? Did any of the plugs look fouled? Smell any unburned gas in exhaust?

One trick you can do with a dinosaur like this (not possible with coil-pack ignition) is, while it's idling, unplug one spark plug cable at a time for a second or two. If that cylinder is underperforming, you note how little impact it has taking away that spark. Wear thick rubber gloves, and drape rubberized rug mat over fender to insulate your body.
      I didn't check compression. This is my first venture into Volvos and I am learning stuff on my own. I have no reference of how this car is supposed to drive, it may just be a big slow wagon and its operating normally. I'll see if I can get a compression test done

Try driving up a slightly uphill slope then a medium uphill. Does it take extra hard push and is the RPM in expected range? You don't need to go on freeway to test the acceleration.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237344 miles [2020-10-13]

I live in Delaware, the flattest roads ever. I dont think we have hills

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements