Hi friends!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 10 of 10

    Thread: Hi friends!

    1. #1
      Junior Member taloras's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      812

      Hi friends!

      Been awhile since I was in a Volvo, but I'm back, found myself a V50 which could use a little cosmetic love and some new wheel bearings; got the car in the air to determine the source of a mysterious grinding noise, and I'm happy to report the AWD is working and the angle gear, AOC, and rear diff are making no funny noises.

      testing awd.jpg

      I know nothing about Volvos, I'm a little nervous.

      ipd lobby.jpg

      v70r trans.jpg
      2005 Moose Slightly-Less-Longroof Go Fast Row It Yourself
      2̶0̶0̶4̶ ̶M̶o̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶L̶o̶n̶g̶r̶o̶o̶f̶ ̶G̶o̶-̶F̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶w̶-̶I̶t̶-̶Y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Global Moderator tmtalpey's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Location
      Eastern MA
      Posts
      9,216
      Ha!

      Ok, I think I see your issue, looks to be a bad needle bearing on the intermediate shaft there on the floor at the right. 🙂

      So, what's really going on?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

    4. #3
      Junior Member taloras's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      812
      Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      Ha!

      Ok, I think I see your issue, looks to be a bad needle bearing on the intermediate shaft there on the floor at the right. 🙂

      So, what's really going on?
      In that pic? That's me fixing the busted 1st/2nd selector fork on my V70R, it broke on me a month after I'd already had the transmission out to change the clutch. I was NOT a happy camper.



      It was a nice clean break, so I was able to get the fork tack welded back on, worked great after.

      Last edited by taloras; 09-29-2020 at 12:34 PM.
      2005 Moose Slightly-Less-Longroof Go Fast Row It Yourself
      2̶0̶0̶4̶ ̶M̶o̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶L̶o̶n̶g̶r̶o̶o̶f̶ ̶G̶o̶-̶F̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶w̶-̶I̶t̶-̶Y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member taloras's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      812
      As for my V50, it's absolutely a bad wheel bearing, pulled the passenger rear last night and turning it by hand sounds like a rock tumbler. Got a new one on and it's nice and quiet on the highway again. I can't believe the previous owner was driving it like that, it was SO LOUD.

      Last edited by taloras; 09-29-2020 at 12:34 PM.
      2005 Moose Slightly-Less-Longroof Go Fast Row It Yourself
      2̶0̶0̶4̶ ̶M̶o̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶L̶o̶n̶g̶r̶o̶o̶f̶ ̶G̶o̶-̶F̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶w̶-̶I̶t̶-̶Y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶

    7. #5
      Junior Member taloras's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      812
      Mmmmm, clicky.

      2005 Moose Slightly-Less-Longroof Go Fast Row It Yourself
      2̶0̶0̶4̶ ̶M̶o̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶L̶o̶n̶g̶r̶o̶o̶f̶ ̶G̶o̶-̶F̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶w̶-̶I̶t̶-̶Y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      316
      Quote Originally Posted by taloras View Post
      As for my V50, it's absolutely a bad wheel bearing, pulled the passenger rear last night and turning it by hand sounds like a rock tumbler. Got a new one on and it's nice and quiet on the highway again. I can't believe the previous owner was driving it like that, it was SO LOUD.

      Attachment 68943
      My S40 was literally louder than my 25 year old truck whenever I had a bad wheel bearing. I stopped driving it entirely. It’s horrible when these bearings go.
      Barents Blue Metallic S40 T5 AWD M66 Manual

    9. #7
      Member AutoGeek's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      MD, Howard Co.
      Posts
      2,286
      Just had my M66 FWD tranny apart a couple times. The original M66 developed bearing and gear noise. Turns out there was an assembly error from the factory where the shims that go on the spider gears in the differential had two shims on one side and none on the other. One of the shims was discolored blue from heating. The input shaft bearing and one of the gears on that shaft had odd wear. I have a bunch of pics that I can post later.

      When installing the replacement tranny, one of the spider gears came out of place in the differential and we had to disassemble the tranny to put it back in place.

      Note: if you have both drive shafts out, put something in the splines of the differential to hold the spider gears in place. I don't know that all trannys have this issue but the M66 does.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

      1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

      Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

    10. #8
      Junior Member taloras's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      812
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      Just had my M66 FWD tranny apart a couple times. The original M66 developed bearing and gear noise. Turns out there was an assembly error from the factory where the shims that go on the spider gears in the differential had two shims on one side and none on the other. One of the shims was discolored blue from heating. The input shaft bearing and one of the gears on that shaft had odd wear. I have a bunch of pics that I can post later.

      When installing the replacement tranny, one of the spider gears came out of place in the differential and we had to disassemble the tranny to put it back in place.

      Note: if you have both drive shafts out, put something in the splines of the differential to hold the spider gears in place. I don't know that all trannys have this issue but the M66 does.
      Oh I had no trouble with disassembly and reassembly of the M66 in my R, I was very pleased at how straightforward it all came apart and went back together. I just took lots of photos during disassembly to aid me during reassembly.
      2005 Moose Slightly-Less-Longroof Go Fast Row It Yourself
      2̶0̶0̶4̶ ̶M̶o̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶L̶o̶n̶g̶r̶o̶o̶f̶ ̶G̶o̶-̶F̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶w̶-̶I̶t̶-̶Y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶

    11. #9
      Member AutoGeek's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      MD, Howard Co.
      Posts
      2,286
      There is also a great video of an M66 disassembly/reassembly here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xqv...ature=youtu.be
      This guy is actually converting a S80 2.5T M66 to an EV and ran into problems with the M66 when he ran it without driveshafts.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

      1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

      Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

    12. #10
      Junior Member taloras's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      812
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      There is also a great video of an M66 disassembly/reassembly here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xqv...ature=youtu.be
      This guy is actually converting a S80 2.5T M66 to an EV and ran into problems with the M66 when he ran it without driveshafts.
      That is precisely the video I used to aid me during the process, lmao.
      2005 Moose Slightly-Less-Longroof Go Fast Row It Yourself
      2̶0̶0̶4̶ ̶M̶o̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶L̶o̶n̶g̶r̶o̶o̶f̶ ̶G̶o̶-̶F̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶w̶-̶I̶t̶-̶Y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶

    13. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. A little help form my friends? (please)
      By DFurst09 in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM
    2. FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS VOTE REPUBLICAN!
      By adp in forum Off Topic Forum
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 10-05-2004, 04:04 PM
    3. What do you guys think of my friends car?
      By BOOSTED S60R in forum Car Lounge
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 04-07-2004, 12:12 PM
    4. All of my friends are saying I should not get a Volvo
      By Spoonie in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 10-08-2003, 07:51 AM
    5. Ford employee friends & family rates
      By bucksg in forum V70 & V70XC & XC70 (2001-2007)
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 07-02-2003, 09:45 AM