Hi friends!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Hi friends!

Hi friends!

Been awhile since I was in a Volvo, but I'm back, found myself a V50 which could use a little cosmetic love and some new wheel bearings; got the car in the air to determine the source of a mysterious grinding noise, and I'm happy to report the AWD is working and the angle gear, AOC, and rear diff are making no funny noises.

testing awd.jpg

I know nothing about Volvos, I'm a little nervous.

ipd lobby.jpg

v70r trans.jpg
      2005 Moose Slightly-Less-Longroof Go Fast Row It Yourself
      2̶0̶0̶4̶ ̶M̶o̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶L̶o̶n̶g̶r̶o̶o̶f̶ ̶G̶o̶-̶F̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶w̶-̶I̶t̶-̶Y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ha!

Ok, I think I see your issue, looks to be a bad needle bearing on the intermediate shaft there on the floor at the right. 🙂

So, what's really going on?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      Ha!

Ok, I think I see your issue, looks to be a bad needle bearing on the intermediate shaft there on the floor at the right. 🙂

So, what's really going on?
      In that pic? That's me fixing the busted 1st/2nd selector fork on my V70R, it broke on me a month after I'd already had the transmission out to change the clutch. I was NOT a happy camper.

It was a nice clean break, so I was able to get the fork tack welded back on, worked great after.

Last edited by taloras; 09-29-2020 at 12:34 PM.
      2̶0̶0̶4̶ ̶M̶o̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶L̶o̶n̶g̶r̶o̶o̶f̶ ̶G̶o̶-̶F̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶w̶-̶I̶t̶-̶Y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

As for my V50, it's absolutely a bad wheel bearing, pulled the passenger rear last night and turning it by hand sounds like a rock tumbler. Got a new one on and it's nice and quiet on the highway again. I can't believe the previous owner was driving it like that, it was SO LOUD.

Last edited by taloras; 09-29-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Mmmmm, clicky.

Quote Originally Posted by taloras View Post
      As for my V50, it's absolutely a bad wheel bearing, pulled the passenger rear last night and turning it by hand sounds like a rock tumbler. Got a new one on and it's nice and quiet on the highway again. I can't believe the previous owner was driving it like that, it was SO LOUD.

Attachment 68943
      My S40 was literally louder than my 25 year old truck whenever I had a bad wheel bearing. I stopped driving it entirely. It’s horrible when these bearings go.
      Barents Blue Metallic S40 T5 AWD M66 Manual

Just had my M66 FWD tranny apart a couple times. The original M66 developed bearing and gear noise. Turns out there was an assembly error from the factory where the shims that go on the spider gears in the differential had two shims on one side and none on the other. One of the shims was discolored blue from heating. The input shaft bearing and one of the gears on that shaft had odd wear. I have a bunch of pics that I can post later.

When installing the replacement tranny, one of the spider gears came out of place in the differential and we had to disassemble the tranny to put it back in place.

Note: if you have both drive shafts out, put something in the splines of the differential to hold the spider gears in place. I don't know that all trannys have this issue but the M66 does.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      Just had my M66 FWD tranny apart a couple times. The original M66 developed bearing and gear noise. Turns out there was an assembly error from the factory where the shims that go on the spider gears in the differential had two shims on one side and none on the other. One of the shims was discolored blue from heating. The input shaft bearing and one of the gears on that shaft had odd wear. I have a bunch of pics that I can post later.

When installing the replacement tranny, one of the spider gears came out of place in the differential and we had to disassemble the tranny to put it back in place.

Note: if you have both drive shafts out, put something in the splines of the differential to hold the spider gears in place. I don't know that all trannys have this issue but the M66 does.
      Oh I had no trouble with disassembly and reassembly of the M66 in my R, I was very pleased at how straightforward it all came apart and went back together. I just took lots of photos during disassembly to aid me during reassembly.

There is also a great video of an M66 disassembly/reassembly here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xqv...ature=youtu.be
      This guy is actually converting a S80 2.5T M66 to an EV and ran into problems with the M66 when he ran it without driveshafts.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      There is also a great video of an M66 disassembly/reassembly here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xqv...ature=youtu.be
      This guy is actually converting a S80 2.5T M66 to an EV and ran into problems with the M66 when he ran it without driveshafts.
      That is precisely the video I used to aid me during the process, lmao.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements