Swap DIM and ICM and fix software changes
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Recently went to a junkyard and picked up the cluster from a 2008 s40 as well as the radio display. Was hoping to swap both in since they are newer looking and also moves the clock to the ICM instead of the cluster.

Realized that Iíd run into the mileage issue so I figured Iíd just swap the faces in the cluster. Well, that didnít go as planned.

Somehow in my idiocracy I broke the lower screen in the cluster (the one that goes with my car) that displays mileage, etc.

Figured Iíd end up swapping the new cluster in as a whole and then just do a DIM and ICM reload using VIDA. Both of these stated that they are incompatible with the hardware I have even though all functions are working except the mileage.

Is there a way for me to swap my DIM out so that I can fix the lower screen? Even if I need to do some weird hacking or something thatís fine. If not Iíll try to just swap the screen by soldering it into the new board. And suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

So this gets tricky. I have endlessly experimented with all of these modules on mine and my friendís car at great risk to our own vehicles :P

A few things;

1). This makes updates impossible. VIDA will reject parts that donít have the proper compatibility with the original functions of the car if youíre trying to update software. If you swap things with software, ALWAYS keep your original and hook it back in even if itís in pieces so the car thinks that it has all the compatible parts. My friend canít do software updates at all now until he gets a properly compatible ICM on his S40.

2). The DIM is tricky. It is what actively keeps the mileage reading and it updates an inactive ďcopyĒ stored in the CEM every fourth kilometer (per VIDA). If the cluster you swap in has MORE miles, DO NOT DRIVE and unplug it after checking. Otherwise, your car now has whatever mileage the donor cluster has and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Make sure the donor cluster has LESS, as this supposedly forces the CEM to update it with the inactive copy. I havenít confirmed this, but I have confirmed the other things. My S40 went from 116k to 219k. Luckily, Iím driving it until it dies.

3). If you get a cluster with lower miles, youíre fine. 2007.5+ pre facelift cars are wired for facelift clusters stock so theyíll swap right in.

4). ICM reload simply tries to restore the settings of the ICM the factory put in the car. If your ICM is a different part number, VIDA has no idea what to do and you canít update it. To even reprogram it, it has to be the same part or a compatible one from that year. VIDA will tell you what numbers, but the ICMs themselves most of the time have NO PART NUMBERS anywhere on them that Iíve ever seen, so thereís no way to tell.

5). Newer cars with newer ICMs will support ADDING features (aux, Bluetooth, etc) but older ICMs will delete features off of newer cars since the older cars didnít have these features. Example: the ICM from a 2009 S40 may add Aux capability to an older car as long as you have all the other necessary modules (thereís a thread just posted on it, you need the IAM also), but the ICM from a 2006 S40 will erase the capability of a newer car from using its aux or USB or whatever it has.
      Barents Blue Metallic S40 T5 AWD M66 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Tarsas View Post
      So this gets tricky. I have endlessly experimented with all of these modules on mine and my friendís car at great risk to our own vehicles :P

A few things;

1). This makes updates impossible. VIDA will reject parts that donít have the proper compatibility with the original functions of the car if youíre trying to update software. If you swap things with software, ALWAYS keep your original and hook it back in even if itís in pieces so the car thinks that it has all the compatible parts. My friend canít do software updates at all now until he gets a properly compatible ICM on his S40.

2). The DIM is tricky. It is what actively keeps the mileage reading and it updates an inactive ďcopyĒ stored in the CEM every fourth kilometer (per VIDA). If the cluster you swap in has MORE miles, DO NOT DRIVE and unplug it after checking. Otherwise, your car now has whatever mileage the donor cluster has and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Make sure the donor cluster has LESS, as this supposedly forces the CEM to update it with the inactive copy. I havenít confirmed this, but I have confirmed the other things. My S40 went from 116k to 219k. Luckily, Iím driving it until it dies.

3). If you get a cluster with lower miles, youíre fine. 2007.5+ pre facelift cars are wired for facelift clusters stock so theyíll swap right in.

4). ICM reload simply tries to restore the settings of the ICM the factory put in the car. If your ICM is a different part number, VIDA has no idea what to do and you canít update it. To even reprogram it, it has to be the same part or a compatible one from that year. VIDA will tell you what numbers, but the ICMs themselves most of the time have NO PART NUMBERS anywhere on them that Iíve ever seen, so thereís no way to tell.

5). Newer cars with newer ICMs will support ADDING features (aux, Bluetooth, etc) but older ICMs will delete features off of newer cars since the older cars didnít have these features. Example: the ICM from a 2009 S40 may add Aux capability to an older car as long as you have all the other necessary modules (thereís a thread just posted on it, you need the IAM also), but the ICM from a 2006 S40 will erase the capability of a newer car from using its aux or USB or whatever it has.
      I see. So currently when I plug in the new cluster with more miles, the dashboard flashes with the orange triangle which means the odometer is reading incorrectly.

If I didnít care about the odometer reading that much, can I drive the car, and then itíll store the new mileage? If I do this, will the warning triangle go away? Iím not too worried about mileage but just want to make sure the new cluster will work fine without any issues other than the mileage.

Good info on the ICM. I requested a refund for both of the software updates so Iím glad Iím cleared up on why these both wonít work.

My DIM from my car is shot, the LCD is cracked so it wonít work as needed. Am I fine to put the new cluster in as long as I donít care about the mileage? And then the orange wwarning triangle wonít come back after this?

Will the new DIM have any incompatibilities with software like trip computer or anything?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

So hereís where it gets tricky, there are a lot of little details. Iíll lay it all out based on what Iíve learned.

The tamper warning will flash until you drive and the CEM is overwritten. Reset it a couple of times in VIDA and eventually it goes away.

You should be good with the new cluster. You have a 2006, I see? Your car probably has the twin connector cluster design from 2004-2006. If you donít care about the mileage, a cluster with more miles will work as long as itís got the right connectors. Itíll just override your CEM and your car will have whatever it says mile wise.

As long as itís the same cluster with the same connectors, youíll be fine. My 2007 pre facelift is wired for facelift clusters (which is great since Iím pitting in an R design cluster), so I can only put in 2007 clusters or facelift clusters. I did lose my clock though. Pre clusters have a clock module on the circuit board and facelift clusters get their time reading from the ICM.

Find one with less miles than your car and it should take your higher mileage from the CEM.

So hereís where it gets tricky, there are a lot of little details. Iíll lay it all out based on what Iíve learned.

The tamper warning will flash until you drive and the CEM is overwritten. Reset it a couple of times in VIDA and eventually it goes away.

You should be good with the new cluster. You have a 2006, I see? Your car probably has the twin connector cluster design from 2004-2006. If you donít care about the mileage, a cluster with more miles will work as long as itís got the right connectors. Itíll just override your CEM and your car will have whatever it says mile wise.

As long as itís the same cluster with the same connectors, youíll be fine. My 2007 pre facelift is wired for facelift clusters (which is great since Iím pitting in an R design cluster), so I can only put in 2007 clusters or facelift clusters. I did lose my clock though. Pre clusters have a clock module on the circuit board and facelift clusters get their time reading from the ICM.

Find one with less miles than your car and it should take your higher mileage from the CEM.

My car is 2006 and the cluster is from a 2008. The plugs are the exact same so when I plug the cluster up it seems to all work fine. Iím not too worried about the clock, not a huge loss in my opinion since the cluster looks so much nicer.

So I should be able to plug it up since the plug is the same, and drive it and the mileage warning will go away? I shouldnít have any issues outside of that correct? Like the trip computer should work assuming the new cluster has one as well and everything else should?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      My car is 2006 and the cluster is from a 2008. The plugs are the exact same so when I plug the cluster up it seems to all work fine. Iím not too worried about the clock, not a huge loss in my opinion since the cluster looks so much nicer.

So I should be able to plug it up since the plug is the same, and drive it and the mileage warning will go away? I shouldnít have any issues outside of that correct? Like the trip computer should work assuming the new cluster has one as well and everything else should?

Was your original cluster only plugged in using the single white connector at the bottom right or did it also have the green connector on the upper top portion of the cluster?

Was your original cluster only plugged in using the single white connector at the bottom right or did it also have the green connector on the upper top portion of the cluster?

My cluster had a single white plug on the bottom and then also has the green plug in top, but these seem to be two different modules. The green plug on top is the ďRRXĒ module as Vida refers to it for the remote. As long as I keep this module on top and transfer it over it should work fine right?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

My cluster had a single white plug on the bottom and then also has the green plug in top, but these seem to be two different modules. The green plug on top is the ďRRXĒ module as Vida refers to it for the remote. As long as I keep this module on top and transfer it over it should work fine right?

I actually am not sure on that solely because I donít have a car wired that way. I donít have the RRX connector, just the white one at the bottom. My car is pre facelift but itís a 2007 and much of the wiring and electronics were swapped over to facelift configurations in preparation for the retooling of certain factories and supplier chain modifications, Iím guessing. I have a facelift sunroof console, and had a facelift mirror, and have a facelift information display and stalk, for example. If itís software/programing related or it has to be properly soldered onto the DDM circuit board, it probably canít just be swapped over. Is RRX just so the buttons work, like the DSTC button that the older pre facelift cars had?

The 2006 and older cars didnít have the informational display and scroll wheel on the stalk (Miles till empty, average MPG, DSTC status, etc) did they?

I actually am not sure on that solely because I donít have a car wired that way. I donít have the RRX connector, just the white one at the bottom. My car is pre facelift but itís a 2007 and much of the wiring and electronics were swapped over to facelift configurations in preparation for the retooling of certain factories and supplier chain modifications, Iím guessing. I have a facelift sunroof console, and had a facelift mirror, and have a facelift information display and stalk, for example. If itís software/programing related or it has to be properly soldered onto the DDM circuit board, it probably canít just be swapped over. Is RRX just so the buttons work, like the DSTC button that the older pre facelift cars had?

The 2006 and older cars didnít have the informational display and scroll wheel on the stalk (Miles till empty, average MPG, DSTC status, etc) did they?
      The RRX is for the wireless remote key fob. With it plugged in it allows the key fob to unlock doors, etc. nothing actually related to the DIM itself in my understanding.

The. DSTC button still works when the new cluster is plugged in. My 2006 has all of the info display stuff and scroll wheel on the stalk, all of that info you mentioned is on there. So I assume it just work if I swap it over without issues right?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

The RRX is for the wireless remote key fob. With it plugged in it allows the key fob to unlock doors, etc. nothing actually related to the DIM itself in my understanding.

The. DSTC button still works when the new cluster is plugged in. My 2006 has all of the info display stuff and scroll wheel on the stalk, all of that info you mentioned is on there. So I assume it just work if I swap it over without issues right?

Then I donít see why it wonít work, then, if that module has nothing to do with the DIM and isnít connected to it in some hardware/software way. Maybe mine is wired differently because I have keyless and it uses a different module somewhere else. If the white connector is the only thing powering the cluster, then theoretically they are all wired the same. Plug it in and see if all the lights are right and everything works as it should. You can use the VIDA DIM test mode.

Then I donít see why it wonít work, then, if that module has nothing to do with the DIM and isnít connected to it in some hardware/software way. Maybe mine is wired differently because I have keyless and it uses a different RRX module somewhere else.

Yeah my car is not keyless and Iím pretty sure the car I took the module from wasnít either, but I remember seeing they relocated the module elsewhere.

Well cool, Iím not concerned too much about the mileage because I plan on driving the car until it dies and not selling it. Iíll plug it in tomorrow and drive around and hope that it syncs up nicely. If not then oh well, as long as I can see some basic info then itís fine with me.

One interesting thing is with the new cluster, when the car starts it says ďDTC ONĒ in the info display and it goes off after a few seconds. I wonder if itís because mine has the button to turn it on and off and facelift cars donít?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Yeah my car is not keyless and Iím pretty sure the car I took the module from wasnít either, but I remember seeing they relocated the module elsewhere.

Well cool, Iím not concerned too much about the mileage because I plan on driving the car until it dies and not selling it. Iíll plug it in tomorrow and drive around and hope that it syncs up nicely. If not then oh well, as long as I can see some basic info then itís fine with me.

One interesting thing is with the new cluster, when the car starts it says ďDTC ONĒ in the info display and it goes off after a few seconds. I wonder if itís because mine has the button to turn it on and off and facelift cars donít?

Mine also says ďDSTC ONĒ upon start up so itís for cars with the ďresetĒ stalk button to deactivate DSTC also. You can turn that off in VIDA if you donít want that message, providing the cluster syncs without issue. I saw the option but I didnít care to turn it off.

Mine also says ďDSTC ONĒ upon start up so itís for cars with the ďresetĒ stalk button to deactivate DSTC also. You can turn that off in VIDA if you donít want that message, providing the cluster syncs without issue. I saw the option but I didnít care to turn it off.

Awesome. Thanks for the help! Iím excited for the new cluster. Looks a lot more modern and I like the placement of the lights better.

Would it be possible to swap an ICM with a clock over to mine and it work fine? The one I found worked fine when I swapped it over and showed all of my audio settings and what not, just wasnít sure if it could cause other issues?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

@evy0311 have you considered replacing the broken display and keeping your original cluster?

BTW: The "DSTC ON" message can be enabled/disabled with vida without sw download, very easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Facusan View Post
      @evy0311 have you considered replacing the broken display and keeping your original cluster?

BTW: The "DSTC ON" message can be enabled/disabled with vida without sw download, very easy to do.
      Well I actually bought the new cluster to replace anyways, but I donít think Iíd easily be able to replace the display. Itís the lower, smaller display and is soldered directly to the board.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

oh, crap!, I was hoping it was connected via a cable or something detachable.

I wish! The upper display is, but lower is soldered for some reason. Honestly a poor design choice in my opinion, but oh well

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Unfortunately everything but the upper display on the DIM is soldered. Itís one solid board. Thatís why I was worried that the second module couldnít be relocated before he told me what it was. I actually couldnít even move the silver plastic frames that are around the screens lol.

Keep us updated on transferring that RRX module! Iíd be interested to know if thatís plausible.

Got everything moved over and itís all working fine! There isnít any mounting holes for the RRX module so I used command strips to mount it back to the top of the new cluster which is working fine.

New cluster is working fine without any issues other than mileage and flashing triangle.

Iím gonna tinker with my old cluster to see if I can get the mileage off of it and transfer it + difference to the new one

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Did you get a DTC related to the odometer mileage??

Did you get a DTC related to the odometer mileage??

I did, however after clearing it a few times it doesnít seem to be coming back. Iím working on a project right now to hack into the odometer and CEM and reset it to the original mileage. Yes, technically illegal to tamper here, but Iím resetting it to what it should be so itís accurate for my purposes.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Well..... its only illegal if you do it to sell the car as a lower mileage.

But since you are not selling the car. I donít see anything wrong with that. Its your car after all.

Were you able to have the clock working in the ICM? Or is it working in the DIM?

Well..... its only illegal if you do it to sell the car as a lower mileage.

But since you are not selling the car. I donít see anything wrong with that. Its your car after all.

Were you able to have the clock working in the ICM? Or is it working in the DIM?

So the weird thing is some 2007 DIMs had a clock module but only one stick at the bottom to adjust. The time is stored in the CEM and would sync up the clock on the ICM and the DIM if the car had the time in both.

Because if this, the DIM from the 2008 I grabbed doesnít have a clock. However the ICM does. Im not using the ICM because the screen has a scratch on the display. But the clock does work on it.

As a part of my project modifying the firmware on the DIM to fix the mileage, Iím going to see if I can tell the dim to display time and still pull it from the CEM instead.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Cool project!!

Both of my cars have two sticks. Theyíre both 2007 model year but they were built in 2006, Weeks 32 & 48 IIRC.

Let me in on this project! Iím not selling my Volvo ever and I would love to get my original miles back. I accidentally jumped my odometer to 220k.

Let me in on this project! Iím not selling my Volvo ever and I would love to get my original miles back. I accidentally jumped my odometer to 220k.

Did you write down the original mileage? I assume itís still in the old cluster. I have a fair amount of work this week but this weekend Iím planning on getting my old cluster on a bench and hooking it all up to try and read from it

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Got some cool new info.

In todayís episode of Cluster Craziness, I found an actual blue R design cluster (thanks V50toS40) and got a good deal on it. My clock had previously vanished when I first upgraded clusters to the facelift from the pre facelift cluster. I install this new cluster, which is supposedly the same software and design as the cluster I removed, and,

My clock magically came back.

Set to the correct time.

But I canít change it.

Hopefully VIDA will allow me to change it. I am confident it will since thereís a setting to do that.
      Last edited by Tarsas; 10-26-2020 at 08:05 PM.

Did you write down the original mileage? I assume itís still in the old cluster. I have a fair amount of work this week but this weekend Iím planning on getting my old cluster on a bench and hooking it all up to try and read from it

I didnít write it down. Lol

Got some cool new info.

In todayís episode of Cluster Craziness, I found an actual blue R design cluster (thanks V50toS40) and got a good deal on it. My clock had previously vanished when I first upgraded clusters to the facelift from the pre facelift cluster. I install this new cluster, which is supposedly the same software and design as the cluster I removed, and,

Set to the correct time.

But I canít change it.

Hopefully VIDA will allow me to change it. I am confident it will since thereís a setting to do that.
      You can also change it inside of VDASH for free.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Got some cool new info.

Set to the correct time.

But I canít change it.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Yeah I already own VIDA, so I can fix it no problem. It could have an issue communicating properly with it, but weíll see.

Update: Drove to work this morning and so far, the larger number stored in the CEM from the previous cluster I swapped hasn't overwritten the DIM number like I thought it was supposed to. Interesting. My commute is about 15 miles or so, so there would have been plenty of time to get those 4 kilometers.

36. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements