Locked myself out of my 2020 V90 Inscription
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 7 of 7
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2020
      Location
      Central NJ - USA
      Posts
      61

      Locked myself out of my 2020 V90 Inscription

      How does this work? I inadvertently left my key fob in my V, along with my cell phone, and locked the car. My wife was standing next to me (she had a spare key fob in her pocketbook). When I returned from the restaurant, I realized that my key fob was in the car. Luckily, I used my wife's key fob to gain entry.

      Question: I was able to lock my car, by depressing the door latch button from the outside of the car while the door was closed. Shouldn't my car NOT allow me to lock my car, from the outside, if my key fob is in the car (in the center console area)? My 2007 Lexus ES 350 will not allow me to lock my car, from the outside, if my key fob is in the car, to prevent me from locking myself out of the car (like, it appears, the V does).

      If this locking process works as designed, IMO it's a bad design. In my case, since I had locked both my key fob AND cell phone in the car, as was several hundred miles from home, it would have been a huge disaster if not for me giving my wife a spare key fob for this just-in-case situation.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Austin 'convection oven' TX
      Posts
      1,289
      I think the second key in outside proximity to the vehicle gave it "permission" to lock by touch.
      Current: 2020 XC40 T5 Glacier Silver '13 C70 Caspian Blue
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

    4. #3
      Junior Member Ultrarunner511's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      327
      Quote Originally Posted by maggs View Post
      How does this work? I inadvertently left my key fob in my V, along with my cell phone, and locked the car. My wife was standing next to me (she had a spare key fob in her pocketbook). When I returned from the restaurant, I realized that my key fob was in the car. Luckily, I used my wife's key fob to gain entry.

      Question: I was able to lock my car, by depressing the door latch button from the outside of the car while the door was closed. Shouldn't my car NOT allow me to lock my car, from the outside, if my key fob is in the car (in the center console area)? My 2007 Lexus ES 350 will not allow me to lock my car, from the outside, if my key fob is in the car, to prevent me from locking myself out of the car (like, it appears, the V does).

      If this locking process works as designed, IMO it's a bad design. In my case, since I had locked both my key fob AND cell phone in the car, as was several hundred miles from home, it would have been a huge disaster if not for me giving my wife a spare key fob for this just-in-case situation.
      Your wife's key was close enough to allow this to happen. You can have any key in the vehicle (sport key, or standard key) and still lock the vehicle. This is a good design, for example, if you are on a road trip and go for a hike/swim and use the sport key. And the standard key can be left secured in the car.

      Also, do you have the Volvo On Call app? This allows you to lock and unlock the vehicle even if your key is inside the car. But be aware, when you lock it with a key inside the car, unlocking it through the app only unlocks the rear liftgate. And it stays unlocked only for a short time (30 seconds or a minute or something). This is a security feature that my dealer learned the hard way when they left my 2020 unlocked on the lot with the key in it. From 80 miles away, we locked it. They called us a short time later freaking out

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2020
      Location
      Central NJ - USA
      Posts
      61
      Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner511 View Post
      Your wife's key was close enough to allow this to happen. You can have any key in the vehicle (sport key, or standard key) and still lock the vehicle. This is a good design, for example, if you are on a road trip and go for a hike/swim and use the sport key. And the standard key can be left secured in the car.

      Also, do you have the Volvo On Call app? This allows you to lock and unlock the vehicle even if your key is inside the car. But be aware, when you lock it with a key inside the car, unlocking it through the app only unlocks the rear liftgate. And it stays unlocked only for a short time (30 seconds or a minute or something). This is a security feature that my dealer learned the hard way when they left my 2020 unlocked on the lot with the key in it. From 80 miles away, we locked it. They called us a short time later freaking out

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      Thanks. I guess you are probably right that my wife's key, in her pocketbook, may have enabled me to lock my key in the car. IMO, I would prefer that the system never allow for locking the car with the key inside, just as it is designed in my Lexus. LOL. I also left my phone in the car, which has Volvo On Call loaded on it. Regarding climbing through the rear storage area to get to the inside door, if this was needed, in my case, it would have taken me over an hour to remove all of the stuff I had stored and tied down.

    7. #5
      Member Gary-16-Xc90's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Twin Cities, MN
      Posts
      3,300

      Locked myself out of my 2020 V90 Inscription

      Quote Originally Posted by maggs View Post
      Thanks. I guess you are probably right that my wife's key, in her pocketbook, may have enabled me to lock my key in the car. IMO, I would prefer that the system never allow for locking the car with the key inside, just as it is designed in my Lexus. LOL. I also left my phone in the car, which has Volvo On Call loaded on it. Regarding climbing through the rear storage area to get to the inside door, if this was needed, in my case, it would have taken me over an hour to remove all of the stuff I had stored and tied down.
      No worries. No need to crawl through.

      Once you have Volvo Care unlock the tailgate, you simply squeeze the tailgate latch. That action unlocks the driverís (and possibly all doors, I donít recall).

      BTW, you must have your VOC Pin accessible or memorized so that Volvo Care can verify the security code before they will open the tailgate.

      Also, if you are by yourself and only have one Key FOB, the car lock will not lock. I verified it on my MY16 XC90 (with the Key FOB by the key reader in the center console).
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 09-30-2020 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Added parenthetical
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      262
      I'm not convinced the radio-link receivers can always make an "inside" vs. "outside" decision for the whereabouts of a key fob. For instance, the fob left in the door pouch.
      The receivers cannot detect directionality, only signal strength. The fob is very close to the door receiver -- could it be judged to be outside the door?

      When a couple is out shopping, and both have their fobs on them, I find the car often confused about who to adjust the seat for.

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2020
      Location
      Central NJ - USA
      Posts
      61
      Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      No worries. No need to crawl through.

      Once you have Volvo Care unlock the tailgate, you simply squeeze the tailgate latch. That action unlocks the driverís (and possibly all doors, I donít recall).

      BTW, you must have your VOC Pin accessible or memorized so that Volvo Care can verify the security code before they will open the tailgate.

      Also, if you are by yourself and only have one Key FOB, the car lock will not lock. I verified it on my MY16 XC90 (with the Key FOB by the key reader in the center console).
      Thanks for the tip about the PIN code and tail gate latch unlocking the back hatch and the driver's door. I think I'll do some experimenting this weekend on this topic with my car. It has been my practice, with my other cars, to keep the key fob in my pants pocket. However, due to my V90 sometimes getting displaying a message that it can't locate the key fob, I've resorted to always placing the key fob in the center console's small storage bin in front of the gear selector.

    10. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. 2020 V90 T6 inscription - how rare in the US?
      By tomedkaz in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-18-2020, 06:46 PM
    2. Install dash cam question: 2020 V90 Inscription
      By maggs in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 08-07-2020, 11:29 AM
    3. 2018 V90 replaced with 2020 V90
      By gavingray in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-04-2020, 10:14 PM
    4. 2020 V90 Inscription - Massaging Seats
      By Mountain_Smith in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 07-27-2020, 04:07 AM
    5. locked myself out! help lol
      By Jexx in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM