MY18 V90CC Big Brake Kit Installed (Finally)!!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

MY18 V90CC Big Brake Kit Installed (Finally)!!

Hello, fellow Swedespeeders!

So after a long wait, I finally got to installing the Rotora BBK on my MY18 V90CC T6 Polestar with 67,000 miles on the Odometer, and here is all my experience leading up to this point.

Background: My Volvo had its front brakes (Rotors + Pads) replaced at around 5,500 miles on the Odometer because of the brake issues most of us have faced. The Steering wheel shimmy and the Brake pedal juddering started to come back at around 60,000 miles on the Odometer. This is when I decided to opt for a Big Brake Kit instead of going in for an OEM replacement. Initially frightened by the expensive costs of the Brembo and StopTech BBK, I decided to carry on with my OEM brakes, but after seeing @visualv upgrade his V60 with the Rotora BBK and having good initial results, decided to go for it. I contacted Loren @Rotora and he is one of the nicest individuals I have talked to. Throughout my BBK buying journey, he has always been proactive and helpful.

Front BBK Specs:
      Rotors (X2) - 380X32 mm (15") 2-piece, directional, heat-treated, zinc-plated, slotted rotors with forged Aluminum hats and anti-rattle hardware.
      Calipers (X2) - Forged Aluminum 6-Piston finished in Black Anodized.
      Brake Pads (X2) - H2 Ceramic Street Pads.
      Brake Lines (X2) - SS Braided.
      Brackets (X2) - Aluminum caliper brackets.

Rear BBK Specs:
      Rotors (X2) - 380X29 mm (15") 2-piece, directional, heat-treated, zinc-plated, slotted rotors with forged Aluminum hats and anti-rattle hardware.
      Calipers (X2) - Forged Aluminum 4-Piston finished in Black Anodized.
      Brake Pads (X2) - H2 Ceramic Street Pads
      Brake Lines (X4) - SS Braided.
      Brackets (X2) - Aluminum caliper brackets.
      eBrake (X2) - Electronic Parking Brake Bypass (EPBB) module.

Other hardware ordered:

Pentosin DOT 4 LV Brake Fuid for Brake Flush (X1) https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m_content=ITEM

10 mm wheel spacer kit with extended lug bolts (X2) https://www.vivaperformance.com/whee...lack-anodized/

Lug Bolt Head cover set (X1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My BBK was initially shipped with 355X29 rear rotors, and during the install, the tech found a fitment issue which would have needed us to grind the rear axle knuckle (which we did not). This caused a couple of months of delay, and shipping the rear BBK back to Rotora and they coming up with the solution and shipping it over to me. The newer Rear BBK arrived with 380X29 rear rotors (as previously mentioned) along with different caliper brackets and longer Brake lines.

The final install went smooth. The Install instructions provided with the BBK are awesome and a OCD like me really appreciates the clarity. It took around 5 hours for the techs at Waterford European to install both kits (front and back), and it cost me $520.00.

Initial Impressions:

Being around 3PM in the greater Detroit area on a weekday, the entire ride home was slow-moving traffic. I did not want to test out the kit before I had properly burnished the brakes. So I maintained a somewhat calm driving composure and used the brakes minimally. The brake pedal has a slightly better feeling as compared to the OEM brakes, and even with the slightest engagement, the brakes grabbed much faster than the OEM brakes did. The pedal has a very short initial dead travel similar to the OEM brakes and I did not think much of it. Overall it was a positive first day experience with the BBK.

Finally, yesterday, I went out late night to try and burnish the brakes. I made around 10-12 high speed emergency (almost stops) from about 70-75 mph to 10 mph. I could not slow down further because it felt weird coming to a (almost) halt in the middle of the interstate. I can tell, I cooked the brakes thoroughly because after the 45 minute drive back home (with the temperatures being in low 40s), I could still smell the burning smell after I parked the Vehicle. The next morning, went to inspect the brakes and there was a nice gray-ish layer of pad material on all Rotors with my wheels covered in gray soot (brake dust).

I drove around a little today and the brakes feel noticeably better. They have more initial bite than before and an overall more aggressive bite through the brake pedal range. I might burnish them once again after observing their performance for a week.

Overall, very happy with the Rotora BBK and I hope they serve me for a long long time to come.

Please find attached pics which have been a long time coming!

Cheers, everyone, and a special shout out to @visualv, @Rotora, @Vivaperformance, @Power6, @kartboy1234, and @WunderWagen (who originally sparked the BBK idea into me years ago)!

Please feel free to ask me any questions or doubts and I'll try my best to clarify.

IMG_6168.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6180.jpg
      Last edited by Volvolic; 10-05-2020 at 07:25 AM.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Very nice write up and great photos! I'm jealous to say the least. I'd love to do this with the 21 XC90 down the road.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Congratulations! Great writeup

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

Interesting. Can you provide a summary of the total cost?
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post
      Interesting. Can you provide a summary of the total cost?
      The entire "Operation BBK" cost me around US $5k.

Congrats, I'm glad it all fits and that you like them.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

this is really great!...thanks for sharing...

questions:

1) why the spacers?...did it need to clear the suspension?...or other reason?
      2) offsets?...does volvo have same/similar offsets for the v90cc across its various wheels?...i.e. i have a v90cc OR with the OR 20" wheels - so wondering if my wheels have same offsets as your 20" wheels...
      3) any idea what a front/rear brake job would cost with OEM parts?...i.e. what's the real difference in cost of going BBK versus OEM total brake replacement?
      4) all in all - are you seeing a significant reduction in braking distance and/or response?

thx...R
      Last edited by hackR; 10-06-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Here is a close up of the same Rotora on my V60 with 19" wheels. I've had driven 2000 mile with high speed braking, country dirt roads and canyon carvers. They are holding up well

Last edited by visualv; 10-06-2020 at 11:36 PM.
      Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by hackR View Post
      this is really great!...thanks for sharing...

questions:

1) why the spacers?...did it need to clear the suspension?...or other reason?
      2) offsets?...does volvo have same/similar offsets for the v90cc across its various wheels?...i.e. i have a v90cc OR with the OR 20" wheels - so wondering if my wheels have same offsets as your 20" wheels...
      3) any idea what a front/rear brake job would cost with OEM parts?...i.e. what's the real difference in cost of going BBK versus OEM total brake replacement?
      4) all in all - are you seeing a significant reduction in braking distance and/or response?

thx...R
      Hello, hackR!

So to answer your questions,

1) Spacers were needed to clear the Calipers (both front and back). My 20" wheels have an offset of 49.5mm according to sources. With the 10 mm spacers, my effective offset is 39.5 mm. With this revised offset, I have a couple of mm of the axial air gap between the outside face of the calipers and back face of the wheel. I would conclude that any wheel (of course, as long as it radially clears the caliper) with an offset of 40 mm or lower, would not require spacers. Also, another thing to note is that the 10 mm spacers widen the wheels track width (according to me) just the right amount so the stance looks much more flush to the wheel wells.

2) In my opinion, Volvo is all over the place with their offsets. I cannot guarantee your OR 20" wheels will have the same offset as my (pictured) 20" wheels, but there are high chances they might. The best option would be to measure them, irrespective of the situation. With that being said, I haven't measured mine but have used https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volv...-country/2018/ to see what my offset is.

3) When you say a front/rear brake job with OEM parts, are you considering changing every single thing? I mean, not just the rotors and the brake pads, but the Caliper themselves and the brake lines too? When considering an OEM brake job in totality, I cannot imagine it costing you any less than what it cost me with my BBK, if you're talking about replacing the front and rear Rotors, Pads, Calipers, and brake lines, along with the labor charge. An easier way to do this would be to go online, figure out the cost of the parts that you might want to replace (say, for ex., you only want an OEM replacement for the rotors and the brake pads), and then adding appropriate hours of labor charges to it. That might give you a fair idea.

4) So, I cannot comment about the braking distance as I do not have objective data or for that matter, any previous data to compare it to, but what I CAN comment on is that the pedal feel is much better, the brakes engage with a better initial grab and bite and maintain that superior bite through the pedal travel range, and the nose dive is almost completely gone, even with emergency braking from 100+ mph to 20 mph. The BBK won't help you with shortening your stopping distance unless you pair it with sticky tires. Tires will majorly dictate how good or bad your stopping distance is. The BBK for me is to avoid any occurrences of fade through repeated braking and a much better feeling brake pedal.
      Last edited by Volvolic; 10-07-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by visualv View Post
      Here is a close up of the same Rotora on my V60 with 19" wheels. I've had driven 2000 mile with high speed braking, country dirt roads and canyon carvers. They are holding up well
      Those wheels make your BBK pop, visual! If I ever am able to convince my wife to let me spend more $$$ on my Volvo, aftermarket exhaust, and wheels are what I'm looking at next!

Hey buddy glad you got them installed!! Like the black calipers they look subtle and shiny at the same time ;-) Bedding in high performance brakes is hard, you can't find anywhere to drive hard enough to heat them up.

I've got my problems with this kit, the design, cost and it's total overkill, those rear 380 rotors are crazy ha. But not taking anything away man, fixed calipers are the best for brake feel! You will enjoy them. You avoid the main design issue by getting the complete front and rear kit. Def keep this thread updated over time, will be interesting to see how the service life on these work out.

Since I've been working on a side project to see if I can fit a proper front upgrade, I can tell you, packaging the rotor and caliper with the wheel, given the constraints that the suspension and wheel puts on the space, is difficult. Most cases you will need a wheel spacer, Volvo just didn't design for a fixed caliper to be put there. They fix that with the PE models by the wheel design. Volvolic is right the wheel offsets are all over the place, as well as many styles and spoke design, across all the SPA models. Some have a decent amount of room to the stock floating caliper, some barely clear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      Those wheels make your BBK pop, visual! If I ever am able to convince my wife to let me spend more $$$ on my Volvo, aftermarket exhaust, and wheels are what I'm looking at next!
      I'll be installing a new muffler and quad tips on a few days

Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      Hey buddy glad you got them installed!! Like the black calipers they look subtle and shiny at the same time ;-) Bedding in high performance brakes is hard, you can't find anywhere to drive hard enough to heat them up.

I've got my problems with this kit, the design, cost and it's total overkill, those rear 380 rotors are crazy ha. But not taking anything away man, fixed calipers are the best for brake feel! You will enjoy them. You avoid the main design issue by getting the complete front and rear kit. Def keep this thread updated over time, will be interesting to see how the service life on these work out.

Since I've been working on a side project to see if I can fit a proper front upgrade, I can tell you, packaging the rotor and caliper with the wheel, given the constraints that the suspension and wheel puts on the space, is difficult. Most cases you will need a wheel spacer, Volvo just didn't design for a fixed caliper to be put there. They fix that with the PE models by the wheel design. Volvolic is right the wheel offsets are all over the place, as well as many styles and spoke design, across all the SPA models. Some have a decent amount of room to the stock floating caliper, some barely clear it.
      @Power6 - I have an upcoming road trip to TX this month and a Thanksgiving trip to NM and AZ later. This will give me around 7-8k miles worth of seat time in my car and I'll keep this thread updated as to how my experience goes.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements