New Forum Member
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

New Forum Member

Good morning, folks. I've been a Volvo owner since 1997 and a Swedespeed contributor since 2003, but because a new V90 just found a home in my garage, I had to relocate my forum presence.

V90 Inscription, Mussel Blue w/amber interior. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Why America doesn't love these cars is beyond me.

Pretty impressed with what they've been able to do with that little 4-banger, but I've never warmed up to the thrum of a four-cylinder. They should pipe in the lovelier sounds of an inline 6 or V8 through that excellent sound system. It would be Fake News, I know, but I for one would be happier.

I noticed a huge improvement in the refinement of the stop/start system compared to my previous V60. So much smoother and less obtrusive. I'd like to know how they accomplished it.

Looking forward to contributing.

Previous Volvos
      2017 V60 T5 Premium (OSD)
      2013 V70 CC w/Polestar
      2005 V70R Manual Trans (OSD)
      1997 850 T5 Estate (OSD)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
      Good morning, folks. I've been a Volvo owner since 1997 and a Swedespeed contributor since 2003, but because a new V90 just found a home in my garage, I had to relocate my forum presence.

V90 Inscription, Mussel Blue w/amber interior. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Why America doesn't love these cars is beyond me.

Pretty impressed with what they've been able to do with that little 4-banger, but I've never warmed up to the thrum of a four-cylinder. They should pipe in the lovelier sounds of an inline 6 or V8 through that excellent sound system. It would be Fake News, I know, but I for one would be happier.

I noticed a huge improvement in the refinement of the stop/start system compared to my previous V60. So much smoother and less obtrusive. I'd like to know how they accomplished it.

Looking forward to contributing.

Previous Volvos
      2017 V60 T5 Premium (OSD)
      2013 V70 CC w/Polestar
      2005 V70R Manual Trans (OSD)
      1997 850 T5 Estate (OSD)
      Congratulations on the purchase, Dyno! You forgot to mention if your V90 has the Polestar tune or not. If not, I would highly suggest getting it.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      Congratulations on the purchase, Dyno! You forgot to mention if your V90 has the Polestar tune or not. If not, I would highly suggest getting it.
      Thanks. No, I do not have Polestar on this car. I had it on a 2013 V70CC, and there were things that bugged me about it, so I'm not that interested.

First of all, on the T6 versions of the V90, you only get an extra 14 horsepower (4%). That's probably within normal engine-to-engine variability, so not a lot value there.

Secondly, and I'm not 100% sure of this, I believe Polestar plays games with the pedal calibration. In pursuit of improved "responsiveness", it felt to me like they really top-loaded the pedal curve. To explain, let's say that the original calibration gave you 25% of the engine's torque when you you push your foot 1/4 of the way down on the pedal. What tuners often do is change that curve so that when you push you foot to that same place, you now get perhaps 50% of of the engine's torque.

"Wow! I just touched the gas pedal and and she took off like a rocket!"

Of course, this does not increase full power by one whit.

The very annoying problem I had with the Polestar V70CC was that it was very hard to take off smoothly from a stoplight. It required the concentration of a Zen Master and and the dexterity of a diamond carver to avoid spilling my coffee.

I much prefer the softer launch of the non-Polestar vehicles I've had. But that's just grumpy ol' me. Or maybe it's different with these little engines.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Congratulations and welcome to this side of the forum!
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Thanks. No, I do not have Polestar on this car. I had it on a 2013 V70CC, and there were things that bugged me about it, so I'm not that interested.

First of all, on the T6 versions of the V90, you only get an extra 14 horsepower (4%). That's probably within normal engine-to-engine variability, so not a lot value there.

Secondly, and I'm not 100% sure of this, I believe Polestar plays games with the pedal calibration. In pursuit of improved "responsiveness", it felt to me like they really top-loaded the pedal curve. To explain, let's say that the original calibration gave you 25% of the engine's torque when you you push your foot 1/4 of the way down on the pedal. What tuners often do is change that curve so that when you push you foot to that same place, you now get perhaps 50% of of the engine's torque.

"Wow! I just touched the gas pedal and and she took off like a rocket!"

Of course, this does not increase full power by one whit.

The very annoying problem I had with the Polestar V70CC was that it was very hard to take off smoothly from a stoplight. It required the concentration of a Zen Master and and the dexterity of a diamond carver to avoid spilling my coffee.

I much prefer the softer launch of the non-Polestar vehicles I've had. But that's just grumpy ol' me. Or maybe it's different with these little engines.
      I would still suggest at least driving one with a Polestar tune, and then comparing it with yours, before making up your mind!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Congrats on the purchase. It's a great car, Polestar or not. I personally don't think the polestar tune takes away from the smoothness of start from a stoplight....but even if it did, you could leave the car in Comfort mode for city driving.

Where are you located? maybe there is a forum member close by, who could let you try out a polestar-equipped cousin.
      New Daily Driver: 2018 V90 T6 R-Design - P* Tuned, Passion Red
      Old Daily Driver: 2008 VW MKV GTI - APR Tuned, Candy White
      Backup/Hauler: 2019 Subaru Ascent - LP Aventure Lifted, Abyss Blue Pearl

They are gorgeous! We need pics! Which model did you get? The T6? or the T5?

Sadly, America has moved on from cars in general. Most people now don't seem to care at all for cars. SUV's or nothing. They don't know what they are missing (though to be fair Volvo has designed some surprisingly good SUV's. Having had the XC60 as a loaner several times it has almost made me part with all my SUV prejudices... almost. But not quite.

I feel like they already do pipe in some sound. Under hard acceleration my S90 almost sounds a little bit like a video game engine.

I'm with you though. My T6 is simultaneously the heaviest car with the smallest engine I've ever owned, and the fastest accelerating car I've ever owned, which is a weird combination.

And I do miss my previous straight six S80 T6 singing me the song of its people. It was a thing of beauty at high rpm, which the straight 4 just can't hold a candle to.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      We need pics! Which model did you get? The T6?
      T6 AWD with air suspension and B&W

Here's a pic of my car and my wife preparing for a brisk kayaking session in the North Sea.
      Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a pic of my car and my wife preparing for a brisk kayaking session in the North Sea.
      Great looking car and picture, it looks like a Volvo commercial...very nice.

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      We need pics! Which model did you get? The T6?

Very nice.

Looks like a Volvo ad! 🙂

I was not impressed with mussel blue when it was introductory color for S90, but I love it on my V90 especially with maroon brown
      Interior

Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      Great looking car and picture, it looks like a Volvo commercial...very nice.
      You should copywrite this picture then offer to sell it to Volvo. It SHOULD be a Volvo ad. The amber and wood is lost in the shadows of the overcast sky, but it sure captures the vibe of the consumer demographic. What do you do while she's out paddling about? Shouldn't you get a double scull? Those are calm waters.

Quote Originally Posted by tomek View Post
      I was not impressed with mussel blue when it was introductory color for S90, but I love it on my V90 especially with maroon brown Interior
      I came so close to buying a mussel blue over maroon V90 that was on the lot in Ft Worth, but the dealer was too proud on their pricing, so walked away. That is a terrific color combination IMO.
      Last edited by aardvarkbark; 10-07-2020 at 01:41 PM.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Confession: The photo is copied from a brochure because I'm too lazy to take my own.

You fraud. Still....nice car. I have white over amber with air suspension and B&W. I think the only improvement would be a mussel blue exterior.

Now I suspect that you live in Iowa and have never strapped a watercraft of any variety to the top of your car. As nice as it is.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Confession: The photo is copied from a brochure because I'm too lazy to take my own.
      Ha ha ha, you had us thinking we had the next Cartier-Bresso or someone like that in this forum! Lol.

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements