Radio Won't Turn Off
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Radio Won't Turn Off

I had the car one day and I've noticed an issue. It was described very well by an XC90 Swedespeed member...

My test based on the "Battery dead" threat:
      I spent 30 mins today testing the car and confirm the observations of citivas.
      - If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and never touch the car again you are OK.
      - If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the trunk or back doors, you are still OK.
      - If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the front doors, then there is a problem. The center display is activated, radio starts playing. After you close the door, eventually everything turns itself off (including the screen) but the radio continues to play. When you lock the car, the radio is off.

So let's say I leave the car and then remember that I left my coffee mug there, open the door to retrieve the mug, at which time the displays will boot up and the radio will come on. Then, after closing the door, the radio will play forever despite the fact that all the displays have shut down after 2-3 minutes.

Anybody familiar with this? Is it fixable? Or is it a "feature?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I believe all that is correct and experience same in my XC90. I have also read that it's better to always lock your car to avoid extra battery usage that is regularly checking status of car and sending Volvo app a message that car is unlocked.

I solved all this by always locking my car.

We have plenty of convenience features. I guess this is sort of an "inconvenience feature".

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I always lock the car, even in my own garage, never had a battery issue in 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
      2018 V90 CC T6 Polestar (Pine Grey Metallic)

I lock the car, even in the garage, because the On Call app will ping me relentlessly if I don't. I wish I could geofence my house as a safe location to leave the car unlocked.

But my understanding is that locking the car is the more definitive "power off" switch. If the car is locked, then it stops trying to keep things running for your convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
      I had the car one day and I've noticed an issue. It was described very well by an XC90 Swedespeed member...

My test based on the "Battery dead" threat:
      I spent 30 mins today testing the car and confirm the observations of citivas.
      - If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and never touch the car again you are OK.
      - If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the trunk or back doors, you are still OK.
      - If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the front doors, then there is a problem. The center display is activated, radio starts playing. After you close the door, eventually everything turns itself off (including the screen) but the radio continues to play. When you lock the car, the radio is off.

So let's say I leave the car and then remember that I left my coffee mug there, open the door to retrieve the mug, at which time the displays will boot up and the radio will come on. Then, after closing the door, the radio will play forever despite the fact that all the displays have shut down after 2-3 minutes.

Anybody familiar with this? Is it fixable? Or is it a "feature?
      Maybe this is just the city dweller in me, but this just doesn't seem like a big deal?

My car gets locked if I am leaving it for more than 10 seconds. Even in broad daylight. Even in the garage.

Also, no items are ever left in the car that are visible from the outside. That's how your windows get smashed.

These are just things that are so ingrained in my being that they happen without thinking about it. Sort of like how the seat belt gets buckled the second my butt hits the seat, whether or not the car is running.

Seriously, why would you ever leave your car unlocked?

Quote Originally Posted by jardeon View Post
      I lock the car, even in the garage, because the On Call app will ping me relentlessly if I don't.
      This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      I live in a rural area and keep the car in a locked garage. I haven't normally locked the car, but maybe I'll start.

BUT, how was I supposed to know this except for the community knowledge of Swedespeed? My dealer has nothing to offer on the subject, and I doubt this behavior was intentionally programmed and not published in the owner's manual. It's a glitch.

However, if it's the worst thing I encounter, I'll be quite happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      I live in a rural area and keep the car in a locked garage. I haven't normally locked the car, but maybe I'll start.

BUT, how was I supposed to know this except for the community knowledge of Swedespeed? My dealer has nothing to offer on the subject, and I doubt this behavior was intentionally programmed and not published in the owner's manual. It's a glitch.

Don't get me wrong. This is obviously a software bug, and one they should fix.

This is the problem with the software era of everything. Software is unpredictable compared to other disciplines, so even with testing, weird random issues often are overlooked.

I'm guessing it was probably missed in testing due to the very specific order or things necessary in order for it to rear it's ugly head, and because most testing probably assumes you lock your car when not in use.

I’ve owned my 2020 V90CC for just under 1 month (7## miles) and experienced the following “features”:

(1) I started car and was changing from backup camera to 360 view and main 9” went black. Radio would still play, but display didn’t respond and was off. Turned off car. Turned back on and screen was still black. Got really worried my screen had just died. Decided to do a “full restart” and turned off car. Opened door and closed door. Locked car with key. Waited 10 seconds then unlocked car. Turned on ignition and screen came on. Phew!

(2) Went for a drive the other night and noticed the drivers side BLIS indicator was going haywire. It kept turning on when no cars were around and even when I had an empty lane on my drivers side. It would randomly shut off for a few seconds but mostly stayed lit the entire time. Got home and was very concerned I had a warranty issue. Went on forum and another member suggested trying again after a “key cycle”. Sure enough driving the next day and an evening a couple days later and no issues.

So yes these cars have some software issues. Concerning but I think this is the reality of these high tech cars now. My iPhones and iPads have crashed here and there and Apple has been doing this kind of tech for decades. So it would seem Volvo is not immune.

Quote Originally Posted by 2005_V70R View Post
      My iPhones and iPads have crashed here and there and Apple has been doing this kind of tech for decades.
      I met an older gentleman who was a retired VP for Bell Labs. He said that if the old land lines had 1/100th of the problems of cellular, the FCC would have jumped in, thrown everybody out, and assumed government control.

PS I had a V70R MT. It had issues, but sure was a hoot.

I met an older gentleman who was a retired VP for Bell Labs. He said that if the old land lines had 1/100th of the problems of cellular, the FCC would have jumped in, thrown everybody out, and assumed government control.

PS I had a V70R MT. It had issues, but sure was a hoot.

Yes usually happens when the car computer is being slow . It happen to me few times . If i lock the car than unlock it in few second it will fix it self if i lock the car and unlock right away system becomes more unstable and takes longer to stop playing. For me it happened if i do something too fast fore the system like if i start the car and it loading GPS and i turn the car off and close the car with few sek they system will continue booting and only maybe in 4 5 min it will realized that car is closed.
      Own:
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements