New (to me) owner 2015.5 S60 T6 AWD!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

New (to me) owner 2015.5 S60 T6 AWD!

Super stoked on joining the Volvo family! I just picked up this 2015.5 S60 T6 AWD with (I believe) the sport chassis package and only 50k miles. Obviously it has the R Design strut bar, does anyone know specifically what else the Sport Chassis package comes with?

Car pulls really well and handles great. I just moved to Edmonton, Alberta from Phoenix, AZ so will definitely be testing out the AWD!

Planning on entering some autox / track days next summer up here as well.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

See if you can pull the history that Engine was rebuild by the dealer or you will get burning oil issue like most 2015.5 models . I would check with the dealer.
      Own:
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

[IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      Last edited by Lucahemi; 10-05-2020 at 08:43 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls90 View Post
      See if you can pull the history that Engine was rebuild by the dealer or you will get burning oil issue like most 2015.5 models . I would check with the dealer.
      Engine has not been rebuilt however is under extended warranty til 2022

I didn’t think the oil burn issues were prevalent on the 3.0 turbo 6 cylinder?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucahemi View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Pauls90 View Post

I didn’t think the oil burn issues were prevalent on the 3.0 turbo 6 cylinder?
      They're not.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

I didnít think the oil burn issues were prevalent on the 3.0 turbo 6 cylinder?
      Did you get the 6 cylinder or the 4 cylinder super/turbocharged Drive E? They were both packaged as "T6" models. The 6 cylinder usually included a "3.0" badge on the trunk.

As mentioned, the 6 cylinder did not have the same oil burning issues as the 4 cylinder for the 2015 model year.

Junior Member Chicago_UnCommon_Bricks's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by budleach View Post
      Did you get the 6 cylinder or the 4 cylinder super/turbocharged Drive E? They were both packaged as "T6" models. The 6 cylinder usually included a "3.0" badge on the trunk.

As mentioned, the 6 cylinder did not have the same oil burning issues as the 4 cylinder for the 2015 model year.

The 2.0 was only paired with AWD in 2017 and 2018 IIRC, by which point most of the oil consumption issues were sorted.
      2015.5 Volvo S80 T6 Platinum AWD - Savile Gray Metallic / Off Black In Anthracite - 118,XXX (our first)
      - Titania Diamond Cut and Black Stone - Vredestein Quadrac 5 235/45/18
      - R Design Strut Brace, VST 5mm Spacers (F), H&R 15mm Spacers (R)
      - Volvo Load Bars, Volvo Sport Pedals, Volvo Seat Guard & Child Mirror, IPD Skidplate
      Parts Cannon: Volvo Fortuna Wheels, P* Winter Wheels, Koni Sport Struts and Shocks, Volvo 328mm Calipers (F), Volvo 302mm Calipers for Vented Rotors (R), Ultra Racing Lower Rear Brace & Crossmember
      2012 Volvo C70 T5 Premier Plus Inscription - Sapphire Black Metallic / Off Black - 112,XXX (parents)
      - Midir Diamond Cut and Glossy Black - Nokian zLine 235/40/18
      2010 Volvo XC70 T6 AWD - Caspian Blue Metallic / Off Black - 130,XXX (mom)
      - Merac Silver Bright - Pirelli Cinturato Strada 235/55/18
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T - Ruby Red Metallic / Graphite - 230,XXX (dad)
      - Mimis Silver Bright - Michelin Defender 205/55/16
      - Koni Sport Struts & Shocks
      1998 S90 Sedan - Aqua Blue Metallic / Beige(?) - 240,XXX (brother)
      - Mercurius Silver (?) - Michelin Defender 205/55/16

Super stoked on joining the Volvo family! I just picked up this 2015.5 S60 T6 AWD with (I believe) the sport chassis package and only 50k miles. Obviously it has the R Design strut bar, does anyone know specifically what else the Sport Chassis package comes with?

Car pulls really well and handles great. I just moved to Edmonton, Alberta from Phoenix, AZ so will definitely be testing out the AWD!

Nice find. I’m not 100% certain the S60 was the same, but the S80 Sport Chassis package came with the Bors, slightly stiffer anti-sway bars, factory lowering springs (
      Last edited by Chicago_UnCommon_Bricks; 10-06-2020 at 07:21 AM.
      2015.5 Volvo S80 T6 Platinum AWD - Savile Gray Metallic / Off Black In Anthracite - 118,XXX (our first)
      - Volvo Load Bars, Volvo Sport Pedals, Volvo Seat Guard & Child Mirror, IPD Skidplate
      Parts Cannon: Volvo Fortuna Wheels, P* Winter Wheels, Koni Sport Struts and Shocks, Volvo 328mm Calipers (F), Volvo 302mm Calipers for Vented Rotors (R), Ultra Racing Lower Rear Brace & Crossmember
      2012 Volvo C70 T5 Premier Plus Inscription - Sapphire Black Metallic / Off Black - 112,XXX (parents)

[IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      Looks nice
      Own:
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:

Paul.

I didnít think the oil burn issues were prevalent on the 3.0 turbo 6 cylinder?
      oh you got the 3.0.. I was thinking it was drive E 2.0 engine at list the 2015.5 i saw was already drive E except the XC or V.
      Own:
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:

Paul.

Beautiful car, congrats. I think maybe the springs are a little firmer on the sport chassis this year. Your car is very nicely equipped with the sport seats and Bor wheels!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post

Beautiful car, congrats. I think maybe the springs are a little firmer on the sport chassis this year. Your car is very nicely equipped with the sport seats and Bor wheels!
      Thanks! I love it, was just trying to nail down exactly what it consists of, whether it’s just firmer shocks /springs or the r design suspension, also I don’t believe it has the r design brakes

Nice purchase! I consider cars like yours and mine to be the stealth version of the r-design. With your autox / track days in mind, a stiffer rear anti-sway bar might be a good investment. To complete the almost r-design package, the Polestar tune made my V60 much more fun when it accelerates. My fuel economy around town is not as good as it was but that's down to my driving style. If you get winter tires and wheels for Alberta winters, note the diameter of the tires on the factory 19 inch wheels is larger than the tires on the factory 18 inch wheels so get the appropriate r-design size tires to keep your speedometer accurate.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD Sport Suspension, ipd rear sway bar, 19 inch Bor wheels, Polestar Optimization, Premium Plus, Silver
      Previous: 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon, 1989 MX-6 GT 4WS, 1979 GS-1000E

Thanks! I love it, was just trying to nail down exactly what it consists of, whether itís just firmer shocks /springs or the r design suspension, also I donít believe it has the r design brakes

If it doesnít have the 336mm R-Design brakes, you have three Volvo upgrade options plus whatever is available third party:
      - 336s which were used on the S80 V8 and most P2 XC90s
      - 328s from the P3 XC60
      - 370s (?) for the P* which will require at least a small spacer with your Bors.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_UnCommon_Bricks View Post
      Thanks! I love it, was just trying to nail down exactly what it consists of, whether it’s just firmer shocks /springs or the r design suspension, also I don’t believe it has the r design brakes

If it doesn’t have the 336mm R-Design brakes, you have three Volvo upgrade options plus whatever is available third party:
      - 336s which were used on the S80 V8 and most P2 XC90s
      - 328s from the P3 XC60
      - 370s (?) for the P* which will require at least a small spacer with your Bors.
      Okay, the r design only has the 336 in the front right? The rear brakes are the same on all the T6’s?
      Last edited by Lucahemi; 10-10-2020 at 02:38 PM.

Okay, the r design only has the 336 in the front right? The rear brakes are the same on all the T6ís?

All the P3s have 302s in the back, and all but the earliest have an electric parking brake. Some have ventilated rotors, and others donít. My S80 (and Iíd bet your S60) have solid rear rotors, so Iím upgrading to ventilated.

Okay, the r design only has the 336 in the front right? The rear brakes are the same on all the T6’s?

All the P3s have 302s in the back, and all but the earliest have an electric parking brake. Some have ventilated rotors, and others don’t. My S80 (and I’d bet your S60) have solid rear rotors, so I’m upgrading to ventilated.

Awesome thanks for all your help! Last question, can you run the XC60 dual piston calipers and R design caliper mounting bracket with the 336 rotors? Thinking this may be the best setup if it will work? If not , the dual piston setup with the 328’s is probably still better than 336 w single piston R calipers?

You have the 336 mm fronts with the appropriate callipers and the vented rear 302s on the 2015.5 R-Design, which is the second best setup for these cars after the monster 3-pistons on the P*s. Upgrade to something like Akebono pads and the only place you would seriously lack the P* versions is on the track. All these cars are limited by their rear brakes although have seen a thread or two about custom upgrades recently.

Another good thing about these brakes is 17Ē wheels fit over them. I use 225/55-17 (same overall diameter) Michelin Xi3s on black steel wheels and the only thing stopping me in snow is ground clearance.

Donít believe the US R-Designs came with the P* tune as standard, but you should have a tube certificate in your glove box if yours has it. Otherwise get it, because the tuned 3.0 in-line six is probably the best engine Volvo ever put in a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

Quote Originally Posted by KCCM View Post
      You have the 336 mm fronts with the appropriate callipers and the vented rear 302s on the 2015.5 R-Design, which is the second best setup for these cars after the monster 3-pistons on the P*s. Upgrade to something like Akebono pads and the only place you would seriously lack the P* versions is on the track. All these cars are limited by their rear brakes although have seen a thread or two about custom upgrades recently.

Another good thing about these brakes is 17” wheels fit over them. I use 225/55-17 (same overall diameter) Michelin Xi3s on black steel wheels and the only thing stopping me in snow is ground clearance.

Don’t believe the US R-Designs came with the P* tune as standard, but you should have a tube certificate in your glove box if yours has it. Otherwise get it, because the tuned 3.0 in-line six is probably the best engine Volvo ever put in a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thanks, you’re telling me I already have the R Design brakes on my car being the sport chassis? I did check and my rear brakes are vented. Now I either have to call the dealer and ask them or go get a tape measure to the rotor just to be sure haha

Awesome thanks for all your help! Last question, can you run the XC60 dual piston calipers and R design caliper mounting bracket with the 336 rotors? Thinking this may be the best setup if it will work? If not , the dual piston setup with the 328ís is probably still better than 336 w single piston R calipers?

You will have to use the bracket form the 328s with the 328 caliper. I donít know if thereíd be enough clearance with that setup to clear the 336mm rotor, but my guess would be no.

ScottishBrick, Antherzoll, et al already did a lot of the heavy lifting on this topic here:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ighlight=328mm

336:
      Rotor - 11.4kg
      Caliper - 6.35kg
      Bracket - ?
      +4.15% more braking force

328:
      Rotor - 12.1kg
      Caliper - 5.6kg
      Bracket - 2.7kg
      +7.5% more piston area

Assuming the bracket for the 336s is the same or heavier than the 328s, the 328s offer a bit of weight savings and better feel in exchange for slightly less raw stopping power. A heavier rotor is also probably more useful in dispersion of heat than a heavier caliper. If ScottishBrick is right, and one could pair the 328 calipers with 330mm P2 R rotors at 9.7kg one could save significantly on weight.
      Last edited by Chicago_UnCommon_Bricks; 10-12-2020 at 11:59 AM.

The dual piston isn't going to really give you anything that you don't already have. Put that money into a better tire. It will do much more for your braking ability.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Awesome thanks for all your help! Last question, can you run the XC60 dual piston calipers and R design caliper mounting bracket with the 336 rotors? Thinking this may be the best setup if it will work? If not , the dual piston setup with the 328’s is probably still better than 336 w single piston R calipers?

You will have to use the bracket form the 328s with the 328 caliper. I don’t know if there’d be enough clearance with that setup to clear the 336mm rotor, but my guess would be no.

ScottishBrick, Antherzoll, et al already did a lot of the heavy lifting on this topic here:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ighlight=328mm

336:
      Rotor - 11.4kg
      Caliper - 6.35kg
      Bracket - ?
      +4.15% more braking force

328:
      Rotor - 12.1kg
      Caliper - 5.6kg
      Bracket - 2.7kg
      +7.5% more piston area

Assuming the bracket for the 336s is the same or heavier than the 328s, the 328s offer a bit of weight savings and better feel in exchange for slightly less raw stopping power. A heavier rotor is also probably more useful in dispersion of heat than a heavier caliper. If ScottishBrick is right, and one could pair the 328 calipers with 330mm P2 R rotors at 9.7kg one could save significantly on weight.
      Wow MVP of the Swedespeed forum?! Is there such an award? I’d like to nominate you! In alll reality, I just measured my rotor and it came out to a touch over 13” , so fairly certain now I have the 336 R brakes on my car which is awesome! Now the question becomes if I want to switch to the 330mm p2r rotor + 328 dual piston calipers... which seems like the best setup . I’ll likely stick with the 336’s and get some track pads for next summer first to get some baseline data.

Also, a local guy just posted up a complete polestar brake setup w/ 10k KM’s on it for $3k... now I’m really perplexed!

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      The dual piston isn't going to really give you anything that you don't already have. Put that money into a better tire. It will do much more for your braking ability.
      Coming from the single piston 300mm setup, the dual is a nice step above. The trouble is when you change a lot of the components it's hard to tell what is making the difference. Pads, rotor size, fluid etc

Agree with tire first and if I had the 336mm setup, I would probably just leave it.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
      2015.5 V60 T5e -
      Polestar Performance Tune, Exhaust and Intake - Twin Piston Brake Conversion - SS lines - H&R Springs - IPD Rear Sway Bar

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSnooze View Post
      Coming from the single piston 300mm setup, the dual is a nice step above. The trouble is when you change a lot of the components it's hard to tell what is making the difference. Pads, rotor size, fluid etc

Agree with tire first and if I had the 336mm setup, I would probably just leave it.

Yep, he has the 336 mm so no use getting anything else. In all honestly, pretty much all modern systems will lock up the rotor, so tire is the most important thing as it is the literal "rubber to the road"... For normal people. Not many of us will ever have to deal with heat and fade issues of heavy duty track or road use.

Wow MVP of the Swedespeed forum?! Is there such an award? Iíd like to nominate you! In alll reality, I just measured my rotor and it came out to a touch over 13Ē , so fairly certain now I have the 336 R brakes on my car which is awesome! Now the question becomes if I want to switch to the 330mm p2r rotor + 328 dual piston calipers... which seems like the best setup . Iíll likely stick with the 336ís and get some track pads for next summer first to get some baseline data.

Also, a local guy just posted up a complete polestar brake setup w/ 10k KMís on it for $3k... now Iím really perplexed!

Eh...others did all the actual work. Iím just good at remembering stuff I read.

If youíve got the 336s just stick with them unless you decide you want to grab those P*s (youíll be locked into 20Ē or select 19Ē wheels though). The caliper or caliper bracket should be stamped (embossed) with the rotor size.

Also, worth noting for posterity that we are only speculating that the P2R rotors will pair with the 328 calipers. As far as I know no one has executed this combo IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSnooze View Post

Iíve got 300s on my S80 and they are a bit scary. Iím not taking any chances so Iím planning 328s with stoptech rotors, porterfield pads, elevate lines, good fluid, and ps4s & alpins.

Yep, he has the 336 mm so no use getting anything else. In all honestly, pretty much all modern systems will lock up the rotor, so tire is the most important thing as it is the literal "rubber to the road"... For normal people. Not many of us will ever have to deal with heat and fade issues of heavy duty track or road use.
      Wasnít sure if the S60 with sport chassis had them or not, was just reacting to the OPs suggesting that it didnít.

Iíve got 300s on my S80 and they are a bit scary. Iím not taking any chances so Iím planning 328s with stoptech rotors, porterfield pads, elevate lines, good fluid, and ps4s & alpins.
      I went with OEM rotors, Porterfield pads, SS lines. I used to run PS4S but would wear through them so quick that financially it didn't make sense. I just run PS4 now, there is less noise and dont really notice the grip issues, maybe at 8/10 and above.

The 300's used to have good initial bite but the pedal would go to the floor pretty easy. The new setup has much more progression. A little less initial bite, but gets firmer the harder i squeeze.
      2015.5 V60 T5e -
      Polestar Performance Tune, Exhaust and Intake - Twin Piston Brake Conversion - SS lines - H&R Springs - IPD Rear Sway Bar

Iíll probably get everything done and get rear ended buy someone in a clapped-out Toyota.

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements