V90 Inscription and R-Design donít come with tinted windows?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

V90 Inscription and R-Design donít come with tinted windows?

I noticed something on the Volvo configurator. Only the V90 Cross Country has the tinted windows from factory. When you build a either an R-Design or an Inscription, the windows are not tinted. I thought this was maybe a mistake, but when I looked at used V90 Inscription and R-Design pics, they donít have tinted windows. How strange.

Why does Volvo only give tinted windows to the Cross Country?

Last edited by 2005_V70R; 10-05-2020 at 11:33 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Pics of real cars:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2005_V70R View Post
      I noticed something on the Volvo configurator. Only the V90 Cross Country has the tinted windows from factory. When you build a either an R-Design or an Inscription, the windows are not tinted. I thought this was maybe a mistake, but when I looked at used V90 Inscription and R-Design pics, they don’t have tinted windows. How strange.

Because it's the law.

Cars are subject to pretty strict factory tint regulations.

"Light trucks" are exempt from these regulations, which is why SUV's from the factory often have dark tints.

I'm guessing - as crazy as it sounds - that the V90CC has been classified as a "light truck" on account of it being a crossover.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

They're also laminated on all sides, not only tinted

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
      2018 V90 CC T6 Polestar (Pine Grey Metallic)

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Because it's the law.

Cars are subject to pretty strict factory tint regulations.

"Light trucks" are exempt from these regulations, which is why SUV's from the factory often have dark tints.

I'm guessing - as crazy as it sounds - that the V90CC has been classified as a "light truck" on account of it being a crossover.
      Very interesting! I guess our Honda Odyssey and Toyota Venza are also ďlight trucksĒ as both have factory tint.

This sounds like another suspect DOT law. Kind of irrational. Especially when aftermarket tint is allowed on the back and rear side windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Maine we can tint all around. There is a limit to how dark the front windows can be. I tinted my s90 all windows except windshield. Done by a local tint shop that does flawless work, 240.00. Looks great on a white car
      Current garage ....2017 S90 Inscription tint, split tailpipes, KC Design rear sway, 2018 Mercedes S63 Renntech tune 673 h.p., 2012 Sprinter van, 2002 Boxster S. I am a car nut from WAAAAY back! Previously 2014 A8 SWB 4.0, Golf R, 2013 E550, 2012 S550, 2010 E350 wagon, 2008 Audi S8. 39 Buick, 33 Nash coupe, 66 Comet, 67 Fairlane and many more.

My Dodge Magnum had factory tinted back seat / luggage compartment windows. I actually failed inspection last year in NC because of it; I had to go out and prove that they were factory tinted, and not something that I'd applied. It was funny, because the same shop had passed me the year before, with the same windows.

I really miss having them in my R-Design. I'm actually somewhat tempted to see if a local glass shop could order a set of V90CC replacement windows and install them, for that "factory" look, but I'd imagine it's prohibitively expensive.

In the meantime, I've installed a set of the Volvo sunshades, which does help a little bit with the luggage compartment area when the windows are in direct sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumfuncomet View Post
      In Maine we can tint all around. There is a limit to how dark the front windows can be. I tinted my s90 all windows except windshield. Done by a local tint shop that does flawless work, 240.00. Looks great on a white car
      Yeah, different states have different rules on this when it comes to aftermarket.

DOT only seems to care about how cars ship new from the factory. I'm not sure why "light trucks" are treated differently from cars, but it may just be a peculiarity regarding how the regulation was written. A lot of regulations were circumvented by the industry when SUV's first became popular because a lot of the regulstions were written with the word "cars".

I've never tinted any car I've owned. I've never really seen the purpose.

I do admit I find it frustrating when I can't see through other vehicles to the other side to get advanced notice of what is going on in traffic on the other side.

Light trucks have lower safety and emissions requirements than "passenger vehicles". Many manufacturers strive to get vehicles classified as trucks in order to cut corners and save a few bucks, especially with SUVs and crossovers. Really blatant examples of this were the Chrysler PT Cruiser and a similar Chevy the name of which I don't recall.

Volvo does not play this game. Neither does Subaru, at least not with the Outbacks.

I remember when I finally bought my first (and only) Cadillac. 2008. 'Everyone' on the Cadillac forum were talking about the window tint they were going to get and what the maximum tint was. My comment was that I waiting 60 years to be able to afford a Caddy so I want people to see who's driving. Pretty much the same for the V90 OR and the CLS I drive.

Because Volvo likes us (CC owners) more.

Quote Originally Posted by Suigeneris View Post
      Because Volvo likes us (CC owners) more.
      lol
      Own:
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD1 View Post
      I remember when I finally bought my first (and only) Cadillac. 2008. 'Everyone' on the Cadillac forum were talking about the window tint they were going to get and what the maximum tint was. My comment was that I waiting 60 years to be able to afford a Caddy so I want people to see who's driving. Pretty much the same for the V90 OR and the CLS I drive.
      I'm not going to lie. I think cars tend to look more attractive with darker windows.

That, and I've never been one to try to seek attention for myself, so I am just as happy behind darker windows.

That said, I'd be concerned about night time driving in the dark. That, and I like to be able to see through other peoples cars. It helps immensely to know what the cat two cars up infront of you is doing, so you can plan ahead. I see tinting as a bit of a safety hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Because it's the law.
      Are you suggesting that it is the law that they must be tinted?

States have laws that establish minimum Visible Light Transmission, that can vary for windshield, front side, rear side and back windows, and based on class of vehicle, but I'm not aware of laws requiring tinting.

I've thought the CC windows are tinted for the same reason they have wheel well flares -- it produces a more rugged outdoorsy look. They only tint the rear side and back windows because most, if not all, states have stricter limits on level of tinting allowable on front side windows and windshield.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
      Are you suggesting that it is the law that they must be tinted?
      No, that there are DOT regulations that limit the amount of tint on cars from the factory, and that "light trucks" are exempt from these regulations, and many (most?) crossovers and SUV's have been categorized as light trucks.
      Last edited by mattlach; 10-07-2020 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD1 View Post
      LOL. my father was the same way. It was his way of showing other people he was now hob-knobing with the guber smuchers. Then he complained how much it was to maintain his MB.

I'm guessing there is a 'mild' tint from the factory, however, I had the dealer tint mine before delivery. 20 on the rears and cargo area and 35 on the front seat windows. I will add that on all my previous cars, I kept the moonroof sunshade closed at all times. On the V90, I leave it open 90% of the time. If it's closed, it's typically because the auto-closure closes it. First time that happened I thought I had gone crazy!
      I think I've attached a picture below...we'll see. The rear seat blinds are up as well.

Attachment 69685
      2019 Passion Red V90 RD Polestar
      Cogito Ergo Volvo

Yeah, I ran a few V90's and CC's through the volvotechinfo VIN decoder and the V90's come back as passenger vehicles while the CC is coded as a MPV - Multi Purpose Vehicle.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by KennyR View Post
      I'm guessing there is a 'mild' tint from the factory, however, I had the dealer tint mine before delivery. 20 on the rears and cargo area and 35 on the front seat windows. I will add that on all my previous cars, I kept the moonroof sunshade closed at all times. On the V90, I leave it open 90% of the time. If it's closed, it's typically because the auto-closure closes it. First time that happened I thought I had gone crazy!
      I think I've attached a picture below...we'll see. The rear seat blinds are up as well.

Attachment 69685
      Let's see if I can actually insert the picture...

Attachment 69689
      2019 Passion Red V90 RD Polestar
      Cogito Ergo Volvo

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements