Air Suspension Water Jettison Preconditions
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hi all

My V has the air suspension. I am still trying to figure out a few things with it.

With any compressed pneumatic tank, you will have some sort of condensation inside of the tank and it should be cleared. Just like with big trucks, where companies instruct drivers to drain their tanks every day. Of course they compress more air on a daily basis, still.

One time when it was rather humid, warm and rainy, I heard the compressor in the back running cycles while I was driving. It did it a few times, being on for what seemed like a couple minutes at a time. I think that it was dumping air and jettisoning the water from the tank but trying to keep a constant pressure in the system. I don't know how the whole valve body system is set up or what exactly it was doing.

Does anyone know any more info on this? Anyone know the preconditions to cause it to purge? Is there a humidity sensor or is it a cycle-time thing?

Anything helps really, thanks!
      // '06 S60R M66 | Magic Blue | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Stage 2.25 | Literally all the mods | MY BUILD THREAD
      /// '20 V90 R-design | Bursting Blue | Advanced | 4C Air

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No such thing exists. There is a dryer integrated in the air compressor, but it's not really serviceable.

Moisture has only been an issue in extreme cold. The compressor piston will freeze and blow a fuse.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      No such thing exists. There is a dryer integrated in the air compressor, but it's not really serviceable.

Moisture has only been an issue in extreme cold. The compressor piston will freeze and blow a fuse.
      So I guess that leaves the question of why it was on while it was on the road

The saturated and warm climate lead me to think it’s to remove water from the system but now that makes me scratch my head to why it was running like that
      // '06 S60R M66 | Magic Blue | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Stage 2.25 | Literally all the mods | MY BUILD THREAD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The air accumulator tank isn't that large as the volumes of air needed aren't that large and the pressures are not that great. So any condensation from expansion of air out of the accumulator wouldn't be very much (think bicycle pump levels). Since the accumulator is a pretty simple part - the cost of some mechanism to evacuate moisture would only add to the complexity, so I'm guessing that the designers assume that if the accumulator were to ever rust out - it is easier to simply replace it - should that ever occur.

The most likely failure point in a self levelling rear suspension are the air bladders and the level/height sensors. The air bladders are a wear item (like tires) so have a limited life and would not be covered under warranty unless they fail really early and you have a dealer who will go to bat for you. Every bump flexes the bladder regardless of whether the pump is on or not - eventually they will leak. I believe Arnott makes the bladders for Volvo - if not they make a replacement bladder for DIY'ers. The level sensors are open to the elements so can get damaged by road salt, etc. I believe these are covered by Volvo's warranty (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). I couldn't find a v90CC with rear air suspension and all the other options I wanted so got one without. It's one thing I wish my car had.

Quote Originally Posted by CedarMtn View Post
      The most likely failure point in a self levelling rear suspension are the air bladders and the level/height sensors. The air bladders are a wear item (like tires) so have a limited life and would not be covered under warranty unless they fail really early and you have a dealer who will go to bat for you.
      The air bags, leveling sensors, pump, valves, and accumulator (aluminum tanks) are covered by both the OEM warranty and the Volvo Gold/VIP warranty. The shocks are not covered (wear item).

I'd recommend getting the Volvo extended warranty if you're concerned.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Double post
      Last edited by MvI_S60R; 10-08-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Interesting info

Im exploring air suspension for my S60R and I know the tank stays at around 150psi and need drained monthly so I assumed the same sort of deal but for mass production I wasn’t sure exactly.

I’m not too concerned about replacing the bags, I did find that manufacturer for the bladders themselves. Everything else looked pretty accessible in the rear (compared to P2’s) and vida can handle any recalibrations, I see them failing post warranty, Ive done worse projects. I did however find some info on the prefill port I attached below

It mentions prefilling with 8-10bar which is nearly 150psi, so it seems like it does stay on the higher end of the pressure spectrum. There might be a live value somewhere in vida for system pressure but someone is borrowing my dice right now

This was more out of big curiousity than anything else, I think pneumatic suspension is interesting, unique and useful not to mention comfortable, I can feel the difference between the steel springs up front and the bladders in the rear on bumps, makes me jealous of the XC60 guys

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements