Drawtite Hitch for 2018 XC90 - Anyone have this on their Volvo?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hi All,

We are installing a hitch on our 2018 XC90. The Drawtite is much cheaper than the Stealth Hitch. I can get past the aesthetics of the Drawtite, but we are concerned that the Drawtite sticks out enough that we will be banging our shins into it while loading groceries, etc. into the hatch.

Does anyone have the Drawtite on their XC90 and if so, is our concern warranted?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rsc92 View Post
      Hi All,

We are installing a hitch on our 2018 XC90. The Drawtite is much cheaper than the Stealth Hitch. I can get past the aesthetics of the Drawtite, but we are concerned that the Drawtite sticks out enough that we will be banging our shins into it while loading groceries, etc. into the hatch.

Does anyone have the Drawtite on their XC90 and if so, is our concern warranted?

Thanks!
      We have the Drawtite on the 2017 XC90 since 2017. Never had an issue. Between loading and unloading groceries, camping, etc, it's never been in the way and we have never hit our shins on it. I'll post a picture of a side view for reference.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner511 View Post
      We have the Drawtite on the 2017 XC90 since 2017. Never had an issue. Between loading and unloading groceries, camping, etc, it's never been in the way and we have never hit our shins on it. I'll post a picture of a side view for reference.

Thanks very much. Look forward to the photo. All pictures we have seen make it look like the receiver hitch extends far enough to be an issue.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

At some angles it looks like it's protruding, but it doesn't extend past the bumper.

Thanks! Very helpful. I’m sending you a PM.

I have that exact same hitch installed on my 2016 XC90 T6. U-Haul did a great job putting it on and it looks great, just like the prior post w/pictures. Never bumped into it once.

For wiring I have it stored in the under floor compartment and just pull it to use when needed so no parts to worry about rusting out when it's externally installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalsaturn View Post
      I have that exact same hitch installed on my 2016 XC90 T6. U-Haul did a great job putting it on and it looks great, just like the prior post w/pictures. Never bumped into it once.

For wiring I have it stored in the under floor compartment and just pull it to use when needed so no parts to worry about rusting out when it's externally installed.
      Thanks. Do you know what wiring brand/module you went with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the Drawtite and just had it fitted to my '20 T6 Inscription last week. I was going to do it myself but feared I'd break clips getting the bumper cover on and off, and the place where I had it fitted broke a few clips getting the bumper cover on and off . I got the factory harness and factory towing module as it provides anti-sway capability as well as providing trailer brake control. I have a bowrider boat without trailer brakes but might occasionally tow my Miata. The module needs to be coded to the car and I'm having that done Monday, it will likely be 1-1.5 hours of labor. Haven't run into the thing loading/unloading anything.

IMO, the Volvo OEM wiring harness and Volvo towing software are essential for towing. These components allow for an integrated system - tying into Sensus (including rear camera), anti-sway and braking as mentioned above and leveling (if you have air suspension).

FWIW, although I have the InvisiHitch 2.0, I had the dealer install the tow bar, it, the Volvo OEM wiring harness which I purchased through the dealer and software.

When it comes to wiring and software, I want the dealer doing it so there is no question or issue with the electrical systems or computer functionalities.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 3M Crystalline 50% Tint, 97% UV Rejection, 60% Solar Heat Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 10 Sept. 2020 | 47K miles | MPG 31.8 Lifetime including transcontinental trips, regional trips and towing

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      IMO, the Volvo OEM wiring harness and Volvo towing software are essential for towing. These components allow for an integrated system - tying into Sensus (including rear camera), anti-sway and braking as mentioned above and leveling (if you have air suspension).

FWIW, although I have the InvisiHitch 2.0, I had the dealer install the tow bar, it, the Volvo OEM wiring harness which I purchased through the dealer and software.

When it comes to wiring and software, I want the dealer doing it so there is no question or issue with the electrical systems or computer functionalities.
      All about cost reward. I don’t plan on towing often. Maybe 1x a year if that. Hard to justify that extra cost va $75 harness.

If I was towing a boat every weekend I would agree with Gary.
      Sid
      2019 Volvo XC90 T6 OSD
      2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
      2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10
      2012 Ducati Diavel

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post

Good points. I have the air suspension and that is another plus with the factory module. I should've had the dealer do everything as the place I used charged me a fair bit more than they quoted initially.

I have the stealth hitch (a variation of invisible hitch). Initially only bought the rack style (not for towing) and after one year added the tow package and OEM harness/module from Volvo (also sold by stealth hitch) and had the dealer program the car. Agreed to people above, the software update is a must, I was very impressed to see the air suspension was self leveling when I parked on a sloped road with a big uhaul trailer. As for installation, I installed everything myself, the only cost was software update for $150 at dealership. The whole installation process was not hard as it seemed to be, YouTube video is available and instructions are well written.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed the Drawtite hitch and initially used a plug and play harness ($70) to hook up the rear tail lights. It was an easy install. I later replaced with the OEM harness and module and had the unit activated via VIDA. If you are not towing much then go with the Drawtite unit, and get yourself a plug and play rear taillight harness. https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2017_Vol...tm?&Redirect=8 is a good place to start. YouTube has a number of videos that you can follow. One removes the entire bumper, one removes the lower half. It will help to have one extra person when you remove the bumper. Make sure you get the lock for stabilizing the bike rack to minimize rocking.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Thanks for all of the input.

For anyone that installed the Volvo module and wiring, did you route the connector to the outside and attach to hitch? If so how did you secure it to the hitch? If not do you just leave the excess wire in well with spare tire when not in use?

Thanks

Last edited by rsc92; 10-13-2020 at 03:53 AM.

Had Draw-Tite hitch installed at Uhaul last week - took about an hour, $150 for the hitch and $80 labor. Can confirm no protrusion whatsoever, although in some pics it does look like it could've been an issue.

Installed this basic $40 harness on my own last night. Does the job for signaling and braking, but doesn't do fancier features, if that's a must for you. Getting to passenger side light disconnect is a major pain. Glad I didn't do it at Uhaul, I am sure those guys would've ripped some plastic trim if not being careful.
      Also provided instructions for T5-T6 models appear to not fully apply to T8, with potentially less panels to disassemble in T8 I think.
      https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...leID=201737949
      Poverty-spec 2016 XC90 T8 Momentum
      Zero options, $52K out the door brand new

Anyone have experience comparing the Draw-Tite hitch and Stealth Hitch? The Stealth hitch (with tow package) is nearly $900 more than the Draw-Tite.

Quote Originally Posted by rsc92 View Post
      Thanks for all of the input.

For anyone that installed the Volvo module and wiring, did you route the connector to the outside and attach to hitch? If so how did you secure it to the hitch? If not do you just leave the excess wire in well with spare tire when not in use?

Thanks

I opted to leave the connector inside the car under the rear floor cover. So when I need to connect to a trailer I just open the floor cover and then connect the relatively thin trailer connector. The hatch closes without any problems on top of the wiring. This way I do not keep the connector exposed to the elements.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by Vetallist View Post
      Had Draw-Tite hitch installed at Uhaul last week - took about an hour, $150 for the hitch and $80 labor. Can confirm no protrusion whatsoever, although in some pics it does look like it could've been an issue.

Installed this basic $40 harness on my own last night. Does the job for signaling and braking, but doesn't do fancier features, if that's a must for you. Getting to passenger side light disconnect is a major pain. Glad I didn't do it at Uhaul, I am sure those guys would've ripped some plastic trim if not being careful.
      Also provided instructions for T5-T6 models appear to not fully apply to T8, with potentially less panels to disassemble in T8 I think.
      https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...leID=201737949
      Did you order the Draw-Tite hitch from UHAUL? I ordered and paid for it in July but Uhaul told me "We have been experiencing a national hitch shortage, which has led to installation delays. " So I still don't see my hitch coming.

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements