Some 2004 S60 problems from sitting/non-use, also aux trans cooler question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Some 2004 S60 problems from sitting/non-use, also aux trans cooler question

Last night I picked up a (relatively speaking) low mileage 2004 S60 2.5t awd. I have had a 2004 XC70 for a few months and been through it pretty thoroughly, understand a lot of P2 issues now but certainly not all!

I know I can google many of these issues as they are out there and I'm not looking at re-inventing the wheel in this thread. However, since I think most of these issues started because the car sat unused for a long while, someone may have some insight as to where to look first vs. me running through a lengthy diagnostic tree. The car has only seen 19k miles in the last 10.5 years (based on timing belt change date/mileage), and it looks to me like it has seen very, very few miles in the last four years based on the date of the last set of new tires and the current (near new) tread depth/condition.

I got the car for my step-son as an upgrade from his "starter car" Honda Civic. It has 130k on it and drives, shifts, steers, brakes, and rides great: no drivetrain or suspension issues of immediate concern. Timing belt and oil trap have been done and no major service required there. No exterior issues (other than typical plastic refurb, etc) and it will clean up and look very sharp. I will still go through and service things thoroughly before winter (haldex fluid/filter, diff fluids, etc.). The punch-list of things I need to fix that I don't know immediately how to fix are:

• sunroof inop. (said to have worked a short while ago and just stopped).
      • Air bag urgent svc. light
      • Cruise inop. (maybe related to airbag? I could see the logic of ecu disabling it with that warning) - If I hit the cruise button nothing at all happens.

I know these are likely general P2 issues and not purely S60 but thought I'd ask here first. And again I ask vs. searching as I think the root cause is disuse and not mis-use or over-use, and someone might have some insight into that and save me a lot of time.

2nd topic is: Are auxiliary transmission coolers considered wise on these, as some XC70 owners feel? I did put an aux cooler and inline filter in my XC70 six weeks ago, but I wonder if the lighter weight and non-Geartronic transmission (this is non-geartronic) make it as valuable here on the S60? I'd love to skip it if not needed but I would do it if the cw is that it's a smart move.

As an aside, I really enjoyed driving the car a little hard (ok actually kinda hard) on some back roads last night on the way home; I could see an S60R in my own future...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I own a 2005 S60 2.5T, with a sunroof that has never been opened since I purchased the car in 2017, with 102,000 miles. I watched a video on sunroof repair, and it looked to me like a whole lot of trouble for a feature that I can live without. When the Texas sun cools down, I will open the shade and have some extra light in the interior. The serpentine belt is kept in tension with a spring loaded pulley, and when these fail, the serpentine belt can disintegrate, resulting in tendrils of shredded belt becoming trapped in the timing belt, which results in timing belt failure and all of the resulting mechanical mayhem. Therefore, the serpentine belt tension pulley should be replaced with a new one before it fails. I have removed the transmission fluid, by pumping it out with the engine running, and replaced it with fresh ATF. The car now has 125,000 miles, and the transmission continues to operate with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Oro-o View Post
      • sunroof inop. (said to have worked a short while ago and just stopped).
      • Air bag urgent svc. light
      • Cruise inop. (maybe related to airbag? I could see the logic of ecu disabling it with that warning) - If I hit the cruise button nothing at all happens.

non-Geartronic transmission (this is non-geartronic)
      Sunroof may be related to a bad alarm module - does the alarm work? (roll down window, lock car, wait 1 minute, pretend to break window and pull up lock stick and open door - does alarm sound and lights flash?

Air bag light - need to scan car with appropriate scanner, note the results, try to erase and go from there - could be caused by a problem in the DIM (instrument cluster)

Cruise - a scan is your first start - abs codes will stop the cruise from working sometimes

And the transmissions are the same in both your cars, the geartronic shifter just let you shift manually easier.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Cruise - a scan is your first start - abs codes will stop the cruise from working sometimes
      Could be clock spring related too... Definitely needs a VIDA scan to properly diagnose.

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black, 1991 745 White, 1982 242 GL Silver
      Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

Great, thanks for some good leads. Progress on the sunroof! In reply:

a) there are no DTCs or abs warning - and no pending codes as far as a common OBDII reader can detect. Only the "urgent airbag" warning.

b) Nope, alarm did not activate trying the window open/lock pulled test. I assumed the alarm worked because lights flashed on locking. Had not noticed the red dash light was not flashing. Fuse #38 was blown; replacing it makes the lights now flash if you do the test, and sunroof works. But no siren ever (waited about a minute after lights flashed). Wonder why fuse blew (always bugs me - because something was amiss).

I am going to ignore the siren for now unless the fuse blows again or something else appears. No new dash warning re: alarm.

c) I know the transmission is the same, just wondering if a/t cooler on these is recommended as it is a different car vs XC70. E.g. - not pulling as much weight, different programming, etc.

So since I/we now have two of these with lower mileage, and likely will have them a long time, I should get a VIDA device of some type. I read a lot about hassles with various routes, what's the most economical way to be able to pull codes, reset Volvo-specific settings, etc.? These (link below) let you do ABS bleeds/resets, Airbag reset, SAS (clockspring?) set-up, etc. If I don't care about re-programming, would one of the iCarsoft, Autophix, or Autel Volvo/Saab compatible devices be adequate? Like this (this one is multi-car, I have also seen Volvo/Saab ones):

https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-E660...2271243&sr=8-5

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/AUTOPHIX-ES61...76&sr=8-5&th=1

I was aware when I bought it that the airbag light might need a VIDA/DICE to clear or diagnose so I was hoping to avoid the expense but did factor in the possible cost. Given many instances I read that this warning triggers with electrical repair/battery disconnect, I'm assuming it's a false code and I'll not doing anything more until I get a scanner that clears the code.

I read this thread on the back-up battery issue on the siren, and what a pain to replace:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-8637399/page2

If everything goes forward working ok, just no siren, I'll skip it. Maybe a corroded board in the siren is grounding and blowing the alarm fuse; we'll see.

Again, thanks for all the input so far as it is getting me in the right direction.
      Last edited by Oro-o; 10-09-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Siren's not that hard, just did one yesterday for @Frederick on his '04 VR. If you take the bumper and right (passenger) headlight out it sits just behind there and no drilling/cutting is required, just a few fiddly bolts. Slides right out.
      Other option is going through the fender liner...easy but you have to cut and drill a bunch. Not my speed.

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black, 1991 745 White, 1982 242 GL Silver
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

Thank you for the pics as that's helpful in a few regards. I did read about the fender vs. headlight method debate. I'll take your route as I do now know how to get the bumper off quickly as I've done it twice to the XC. Also I need to get the R headlight out to attempt to re-seal it (hit and miss I know; have had success in the past though).

It is also helpful as it looks like fitting a trans cooler in there is not as easy with tighter spaces. I will belay that thought until at least next summer.

I discovered the rain sensor is in/op, but I also knew the glass was not original. I'll try re-mounting the sensor correctly and see what that does. It's a valuable feature around here and something I do want working (well, everything working TBH!). I have an iCarsoft Volvo specific reader arriving tomorrow so we'll get into the computers and see what they say about things...

Again, thanks a lot to all for good help. It is saving me time and internal (mental) debating.

If in a rush, you can do this with the siren https://youtu.be/Wt1kp5HPgWc
      Be sure to undo first the fuse, it may be under the steering somewhere - search on yout
      For the SRS it's a bit tricky, try first to have a garage erase the code, see if it goes away - that would cost maybe $20 and may clear it
      Does the car have an aftermarket radio ? If it can't clear it, maybe there is a problem that needs more attention. Read a bit about the CEM water ingress, may look at the module with a flash light

Thanks for the siren link. Thanks for the link; I tried playing it but no audio (thank you Microsoft - this happens whenever they cram down an update w/o my permission). Will reboot later to figure out what the trick is (looks like just sticking in a 2nd unit w/o cutting?). I replaced a blow 5a fuse for the alarm/upper em and it all works fine now, just no siren. occasional "service alarm" but no hard code.

I got a Volvo-specific reader and reset the airbag; no issues. It appears because the seat was removed at some point; I found an old code for that not working, though it clearly does now. Also, the reader said the driver's side door mirror motor was not connected. It is and works fine. That was the only code to come back (besides the siren service/out) after clearing everything and running the car. We'll just right that one off.

I rebuilt the lower transmission strut/brace with the $5 shock bushing trick (from Matthew's Volvo Site). I ran 6 ozs of Chemtool B-12 in the transmission for 100 miles then flushed the transmission with 9 new new quarts of 3309. Shifts great now and the "garage shift" clunk and very occasional slip is gone; it feels great now.

BTW, I went to Ace hardware and bought 5' of 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD High Pressure braided PVC tubing, $1.79 a foot. I jammed this in the cooler return line outlet flange after pulling the line, and it made a great tool for emptying the ATF out really quickly and cleanly. I'd attach a pic but it seems you can't (easily) on this forum (do you have to have an external host?) Maybe this is a known hack but I thought I'd pass it on if not.

Does the XC have the same battery/siren issue as the S60? I would have to think so. Maybe I should do my XC70 siren at the same time just pre-emptively. It is the same age and roughly same mileage (both 2004 - 123k on it, 133k on this S60).

Yeah all P2 cars have the same siren issue. That trick would work fine if you don't mind dealing with the rivets on the fender liner! might rattle eventually though...

Just a word on the Chemtool, this guy was testing it and at 5:30 he says "the Berrymans eat my gloves". Perhaps if it melts gloves this fast, it may not be be a little too strong for rubber seals around the engine/transmission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plAu-vvEctM

The main ingredient in B-12 is toluene. It SHOULD eat cheap latex/rubber if that's what happened. It's called chemistry.

It needs to be used with knowledge and not randomly, but it can save transmissions and other systems that otherwise would require rebuilding. I've use it that way on power steering systems and transmissions to get them back to full function w/o replacement or rebuild - presuming the issue is clogged valve bodies or weak solenoid seals, etc. use it diluted and for limited time and it's good for seals, not destructive.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements