College car? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: College car?

Quote Originally Posted by npn View Post
      Most likely my son will be commuting to school at least the first year or two, so yeah something cheap but reliable. I was contemplating handing him down my '12 S60 but that may be too much
      You said cheap and reliable? for $3K? 4 banger camry. It'll be so embarassing s/he won't be driving it anywhere on campus. J/K, I borrowed my roommate's '89(?) chevy cavalier to go on dates, thus beginning my long-unabated hatred of American cars. What a pos that was; the 2009 Camry is definitely nicer than that.

I love there is so many #dadlife answers.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

KBB's price. I'm shocked it's that low
      I'm sure your son would be very happy in your S60 T5. The bigger the car the better in terms of safety. Camry is a safe choice, but check engine reviews as I've heard some 2007-11s with the 2.4 are oil burners.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/toyota-...ld-know-about/

Is your T5 an oil burner ?
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post

Is your T5 an oil burner ?
      It used to be. They replaced the piston rings covered by Volvo. I've been having problems with the tyranny tho and planning to install an auxiliary cooler soon.
      2012 S60 T5, original purchase date May 2011

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

As a college student who also works part-time at Volvo dealer if you do go for another Volvo, I recommend a 2017 S60 with the T5 Drive-E engine (you can find them for around 18k with pretty low mileage). It's way better on gas than the 5 cylinder and feels way more modern in comparison. I'm averaging 27mpg around town. I also recommend buying the extended warranty through Volvo. For me it's already paid for itself (leaky, sunroof, passenger airbag sensor, evaporations sensor). 2015 and 16 models are known to consume oil and in 17 and 18 this was pretty much solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      If you're not using the car to commute to school then just sell it or leave it at home. For my kids having a car at school (the few times they did) was more of a hassle then it was worth. Having a car is a liability on most college campuses.
      I strongly agree with this poster.

If you're living on campus you don't need a car and it's a big expense for somebody that theoretically doesn't have much disposable income as an 18 year old.
      I didn't have a car in college and when I attended professional school (dentistry, medicine, law--one of these programs) I had a Toyota Corolla that was almost 10 yrs old.

The savings rate in the US is like 5% and a big reason why many people are in financial trouble is by exceeding their budgets. IMHO, a typical 40-50k gross income worker should probably be driving a 10k used car to be able to max out their ROTH IRA and the get the max employer match. I see a ton of people making 40k with nicer cars than people making 200-300k.

The 5 yr KBB cost of ownership assuming 15k miles, insurance, depreciation, etc is about 60k for a new S60. Lightly used is about 51k for my 2016 S60. A Corolla is like 35k over 5 years.

Edit: That 7-12k a year of car expenses is a ton for a typical worker. If you make 300k gross (200k net or so depending on the state) then the difference between 7 or 12k a year in annual vehicular expenses is not a big deal but most people aren't at this level of income. About 1.5% of people make this amount.

Since OP already has a car and it's a sunk cost, I'd just stick with it unless something very expensive is about to break. Ideally I'd sell it but if he must keep it it's a probably MUCH better idea than spending 20k+ on a newer S60.
      Last edited by S60noob; 10-12-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S60noob View Post

Since OP already has a car and it's a sunk cost, I'd just stick with it unless something very expensive is about to break.
      OP has mentioned in a couple posts that his car keeps giving a Low Oil Pressure warning despite having plenty of oil. In my experience that is a BIG RED FLAG! Either the engine is already on it's way out, or it will be very soon if the warning continues to be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      As a college student who also works part-time at Volvo dealer if you do go for another Volvo, I recommend a 2017 S60 with the T5 Drive-E engine (you can find them for around 18k with pretty low mileage). It's way better on gas than the 5 cylinder and feels way more modern in comparison. I'm averaging 27mpg around town. I also recommend buying the extended warranty through Volvo. For me it's already paid for itself (leaky, sunroof, passenger airbag sensor, evaporations sensor). 2015 and 16 models are known to consume oil and in 17 and 18 this was pretty much solved.
      I totally agree on the extended warranty. I am not sure about the S60 with the T5 Drive-E engine thought... I was given a loaner for about 4 days (while they were replacing the piston rings) and it might've been '15 or '16 but I did not like it. It felt very different than my 5 cylinder '12 S60. The engine felt weak, the inside looked cheap, I suppose a matter of taste, and with gas being cheap here in the US it doesn't make much difference to me.

I totally agree on the extended warranty. I am not sure about the S60 with the T5 Drive-E engine thought... I was given a loaner for about 4 days (while they were replacing the piston rings) and it might've been '15 or '16 but I did not like it. It felt very different than my 5 cylinder '12 S60. The engine felt weak, the inside looked cheap, I suppose a matter of taste, and with gas being cheap here in the US it doesn't make much difference to me.
      I just think the 4 cylinder feels peppier and the gear changes feel smoother. The 4 cylinder for sure accelerates a bit faster than the 5 cylinder. As for the interiors, what felt cheap. Thereís pretty much no difference on the interior of a 16 and 12 besides the updated frameless mirror, tft display and gear lever all of which I feel elevate the interior. Iíve had a surprising amount of passengers get in my car and just comment on how good the rear view mirror looks which I was surprised they even payed much attention to it... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going on a tangent here but yeah it's a matter of taste. I don't like 2013+ shifter assembly and I very much prefer the somewhat classic dashboard display. I do remember however that the transmission on the "new" S60 felt smoother.

At the end of the day, as of right now, I haven't decided what to do with my S60 - give it to my 18yo for a college/commuter car or keep it myself and buy him a cheaper "$3,000" car. I very much like the 2008/09 S40 but that may be a different topic.

Quote Originally Posted by S60noob View Post
      The savings rate in the US is like 5% and a big reason why many people are in financial trouble is by exceeding their budgets. IMHO, a typical 40-50k gross income worker should probably be driving a 10k used car to be able to max out their ROTH IRA and the get the max employer match. I see a ton of people making 40k with nicer cars than people making 200-300k.
      I never understood that. If you're a guy in your 20s or early 30s and single yeah, it makes sense as it might help you with the ladies but the average mid to low income married American driving expensive car just to fit in or "keep up with the Joneses", makes little sense to me. Btw, my cleaning lady drives a Land Rover/Range Rover Evoque or something...

I never understood that. If you're a guy in your 20s or early 30s and single yeah, it makes sense as it might help you with the ladies but the average mid to low income married American driving expensive car just to fit in or "keep up with the Joneses", makes little sense to me. Btw, my cleaning lady drives a Land Rover/Range Rover Evoque or something...
      A lady that cares about that over who you are is one you steer away from.

Pun intended

The total KBB value of our current cars (the '12 S60 T6 and the '05 Outback) is 5% of our total annual income. There's no way you're getting me to buy another car until the wheels fall off these, and then the replacements will still probably be five years old with about 50K on the odometer!
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Going on a tangent here but yeah it's a matter of taste. I don't like 2013+ shifter assembly and I very much prefer the somewhat classic dashboard display. I do remember however that the transmission on the "new" S60 felt smoother.

At the end of the day, as of right now, I haven't decided what to do with my S60 - give it to my 18yo for a college/commuter car or keep it myself and buy him a cheaper "$3,000" car. I very much like the 2008/09 S40 but that may be a different topic.
      Iíve never seen more S40ís than while at college. I spot one in almost every parking lot. Itís a common car on my campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grass is not always greener on the Joneses lawn. As long as one can get from point A to B. Driving a luxury car on a tight budget is not easy. Hope the OP knows a good indy or shop that will give him a discount. Getting an old Toyota or Honda not always a guarantee of reliability depending on the prior owner. But they are cheaper to maintain and usually easier to fix as most shops are more familiar with common cars over luxury cars.

I’m going to sound like an old man here, even though I’m only 35, and say save your money. I spent a bunch of money doing dumb stuff to my car in HS that I now wish I had back.

Your car will inherently take some abuse in college/bar parking lot. Fix the timing belt, save your money (throw it in a high yield saving account if you want a safe place for it or buy some apple stock or something) and feel better that you’ve put yourself in a better place for the future.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by xSpecBx View Post
      Iím going to sound like an old man here, even though Iím only 35, and say save your money. I spent a bunch of money doing dumb stuff to my car in HS that I now wish I had back.

Your car will inherently take some abuse in college/bar parking lot. Fix the timing belt, save your money (throw it in a high yield saving account if you want a safe place for it or buy some apple stock or something) and feel better that youíve put yourself in a better place for the future.
      Agree 1,000%!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Iím going to sound like an old man here, even though Iím only 35, and say save your money. I spent a bunch of money doing dumb stuff to my car in HS that I now wish I had back.

Your car will inherently take some abuse in college/bar parking lot. Fix the timing belt, save your money (throw it in a high yield saving account if you want a safe place for it or buy some apple stock or something) and feel better that youíve put yourself in a better place for the future.
      Agree, although the "high-yield" savings (my account included) are trending around the sub 0.75% mark these days... unfortunately, there's no other way to provide liquidity and get any good rate... if stocks, an low cost ETF is a good option (forget the individual stocks) if you can leave it in for the year to overcome the threshold for taxing at ordinary income rates.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      I’m going to sound like an old man here, even though I’m only 35, and say save your money. I spent a bunch of money doing dumb stuff to my car in HS that I now wish I had back.

Your car will inherently take some abuse in college/bar parking lot. Fix the timing belt, save your money (throw it in a high yield saving account if you want a safe place for it or buy some apple stock or something) and feel better that you’ve put yourself in a better place for the future.
      Agree, although the "high-yield" savings (my account included) are trending around the sub 0.75% mark these days... unfortunately, there's no other way to provide liquidity and get any good rate... if stocks, an low cost ETF is a good option (forget the individual stocks) if you can leave it in for the year to overcome the threshold for taxing at ordinary income rates.
      Not knowing this individuals financials, I just suggested the high yield because even at 0.75%, he’s doing better than throwing that money at a depreciating asset like a car and will still better off in the long run. Agree there are better places than a high yield if you have money to play with.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

The crowd's resounding answer is to keep your car and do the TB, which I agree with. For some reason, Volvos depreciate really fast so stepping up to a 4 year newer car is a bigger money jump than you think it is, especially for a virtually identical car, but with a 2.0 engine that's known for consuming oil. I'd take the tried and true T5 any day. Besides, your car has a lot of life left. My 2012 XC60 (albeit with the T6 engine) just turned 207,000 miles yesterday. Still humming along!

I don't know about cars and freshmen. Check with your particular school. Public transportation is abysmal here in Nashville, so a lot of college students have cars. Many use rideshare as well, which is great for me since that's my side hustle

I enjoyed reading about everyone's memories of their college days. I never went to college. My mom found out she had advanced cancer 2 weeks after I graduated HS, so I stayed home and took care of her for the last 3 years of her life and don't regret a thing. I'm now a 27 year old single guy working 2 jobs and doing okay for myself, with 2 paid off cars, 1 paid off home (with help from my aunt) and a vacation rental home. Even so, I missed out on that opportunity to grow intellectually and socially, I've never lived anywhere but TN and never been west of the mighty Mississippi. Hope OP goes far and saves every penny he can, it's NEVER too early. Minimize debt now and you'll be in much better shape in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Good advice. On the study abroad thing, I wish someone had told me to do it. I never looked into it while I was in college, but my wife lived in France for a year and she loved it. I have no doubt I would have enjoyed study abroad if I had just forced myself out of my comfort zone. But you can't go back in time. My parents leased a new car for me while I was in college. The original plan was for me to buy it off lease after, but I wrecked it twice during the lease, so I didn't think it was worth it. I bought a $3,000 car instead. If I could have done it over again, I would have had them get me the $3,000 car at the beginning of college, put the rest of the money towards study abroad, and then kept that car running (or bought another $3,000 car) after graduation.
      I also went to study abroad.
      I ended up marrying her.

On Topic- The other students will have no respect for your car, and life has no respect for your bank account.
      I agree with "Keep it, do some mods".
      If you feel flush with cash, maybe the Polestar tune?

2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

Please *VOTE* WWRBGD

Yes, I don't have any real childhood friends, but I've learned to make friends where I am.

We went all over the place, both as a family and through field trips at school. Visited many of the western European countries on multiple occasions. I never made it up to the UK or west to Spain, but did France, Italy multiple times, and all the surrounding countries many times (Austria, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, etc).
      I found the French to be very cordial. Heck, I was trying to find Luxembourg Gardens and asked a person for help. Showed her the map. The lady, who clearly didn't speak much English pointed to herself, and said follow me. She took me where I needed to go.

To the Contrary, the Italians were absolute pricks. Took me 2.5 Hours to get someone polite enough to tell me the Bus 64 went to downtown Rome. Rome itself was a very cool city. I loved the antiquities in Italy. Even visited Pompeii on a day trip.

I liked the UK. Castles were very neat. Did Buckingham Palace, Conway Castle, Caerfenon, Edinburgh Castle (Scotland), etc. Absolutely loved the Beef Eaters on the Tower of London Tour. I would hands down recommend that to anyone!

America has nothing on the history of Europe!

While young, I remember a good deal of my time there (we left when I was 11). One of my favorites was the Army MWR resort that was in Berchestgaden called the General Walker Hotel. It was in the Obersalzberg region, which was spiritual home of the SS and Hitler's favorite hangout (his mountain home, the Berghof) was just down the hill. The hotel and the area has a very sordid past, and once we gave it back to the Germans in the early 2000's, they wanted nothing of it and razed it. A good read about the former site: https://oldtopographer.net/2015/07/2...berchtesgaden/
      I find it sad that the Americans restored the General Walker Hotel, and the Germans let it go to ruins. History shouldn't be white washed, even if the history is a painful reminder of the past. Counter Culture is a very dangerous trend. You learn from the past by not forgetting what happened!

Another of my vivid memories (in the literal sense) is my visit to Dachau. As a 7 year old, seeing a former concentration camp site and the images of the Jewish captives in the museum are memories that will never leave me.
      I would like to see Poland and Ukraine one day. I had some older Ukrainian relatives alive when I was a kid, but not really old enough to "inquire". As I got older, I've delved into my family's genealogy and came across members who perished in the Holocaust. At least according to one family member who wasn't able to leave Ukraine until the 1970's. His parents got stuck over there along with other relatives unable to flee.

Poland is where the other half of my family originates and luckily, I'm unaware of any who perished. Most seems to have escaped prior to or soon after the conclusion of WWI. As you aptly pointed out, Poland is home to Dachau and was the center of persecution for Jews, Romas, etc.

Had a lot of Polish friends and neighbors in my old childhood neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens. They're very hard working and God-fearing people who don't make trouble. Got into a few fights with a few Italians as they tend to be aggressive on the ball field, but in the end it was just tempers and kids acting stupid. We always usually patched things up.

I'm from an Albanian-speaking minority community in Montenegro with Serbo-Croatian and Turkish roots. What's interesting about my culture is our language. No matter what war was happening or which religion was spreading, the language and culture survived. Visiting my old neighborhoods in New York City where we as Europeans always got along is humbling.

In the end I would say having a hard work ethic and not getting in trouble makes us Europeans sort of similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Quingod12 View Post
      So Iím gonna be heading off to college soon and right now I drive a 2012 s60 and I really love it I think the only problem Iím having right now itís just I need to get a timing belt replaced ASAPÖ But if I were to get another car for college should I get a newer Volvo S60 letís say 2016 or should I just keep the one I have. Also I already know some of yíall gonna be like Iíll get a Honda or Toyota but Iím just so in love with Volvos
      I would keep it, but if you can afford it or your folks will pony up the cash, getting a 2016 is a great move.

Honestly, the flex of using automatic parallel park is worth the money. I roll up looking like an absolute goon, windows down, hands clearly visible and not on the wheel, smug grin on my face, just to try to impress a girl whose Honda can also do that

Quote Originally Posted by anticus View Post
      I would keep it, but if you can afford it or your folks will pony up the cash, getting a 2016 is a great move.

Honestly, the flex of using automatic parallel park is worth the money. I roll up looking like an absolute goon, windows down, hands clearly visible and not on the wheel, smug grin on my face, just to try to impress a girl whose Honda can also do that
      Or you know, impress by actually doing it correctly with no driving aids.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      Had a lot of Polish friends and neighbors in my old childhood neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens. They're very hard working and God-fearing people who don't make trouble. Got into a few fights with a few Italians as they tend to be aggressive on the ball field, but in the end it was just tempers and kids acting stupid. We always usually patched things up.

I'm from an Albanian-speaking minority community in Montenegro with Serbo-Croatian and Turkish roots. What's interesting about my culture is our language. No matter what war was happening or which religion was spreading, the language and culture survived. Visiting my old neighborhoods in New York City where we as Europeans always got along is humbling.

In the end I would say having a hard work ethic and not getting in trouble makes us Europeans sort of similar.
      Unfortunately with my family, the languages died out with the older generations. I.E. My grandparents. As those who came over were my Great Grandparents, with Grandparents being born in USA. Some of the Ukrainian born relatives were alive when I was a kid. I have one Ukrainian family member I located recently (one stuck in Ukraine until the 1970s). Sadly, as often is the case, the move to "assimilate" caused English to be the primary language. So my mother, her siblings, and of course myself know nothing of the languages spoke. My grandparents didn't speak anything other than English except with other family members.

Same for Polish. I know "SOME" about my grandma's roots, but not a lot.

On my father's side, I had a Polish Great Grandmother alive when I was very young. Unfortunately, as things have it, by the time you're old enough to inquire, people are long gone.

I think my story line is the same many families that came to America. The push to "assimilate" by Speaking English and Blending in were a driving force in wiping away one's cultural identity.

Were you born in Montenegro?

Or you know, impress by actually doing it correctly with no driving aids.

Agreed...The OP is a college kid. He needs safe and reliable. Not an expensive toy with lots of tech gadgets that may go wrong and need costly repairs. Think OP should keep his car, make the necessary repairs, and swap out after his college experience ends.

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2