17 to 18 inch rims?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 8 of 8
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Posts
      23

      17 to 18 inch rims?

      I drive a 2012 s60 t5 fwd and I have the o balder rims 17’7 rim will it be bad to upsize to 18 inch rims in the future I really like the freija rims. Will upsizing mess with my mileage ?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member Veefifty T5AWD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Lakes Region NH
      Posts
      7,147
      If you get the correct tire size, you'll be fine. Your speedo may be off by a few percent, but nothing that will make a major diffference.
      Logan

      2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

      Former:

      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

    4. #3
      Member p.rico's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      Wilmington, DE
      Posts
      1,515
      Correct, you would need a 235/40R18 tire size to match the rolling circumference.

      Alternatively, if you find wheels on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace from previous Volvo owners, there might be a 225/40R18 or a 245/40R18 tire on them. Those will be close to the right size and 1% or so difference in speedometer error.
      Last edited by p.rico; 10-11-2020 at 09:44 AM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Posts
      451
      Ride quality might change.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      Lodi NJ
      Posts
      579
      Just put 245//45/18 from 235/45/18 and ride much softer and more stable
      Own:
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

      Paul.

    8. #6
      Member p.rico's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      Wilmington, DE
      Posts
      1,515
      Quote Originally Posted by Pauls90 View Post
      Just put 245//45/18 from 235/45/18 and ride much softer and more stable
      Yes, but your speedo (and odometer) is off by about 3.5% and the car is a bit slower now because of it. Not necessarily deal breakers, but they have to be taken into account.

      For reference, I ran a 235/45 instead of 235/40 for the past 2 years, and switched back to 235/40 this past month. I can attest that the car is much quicker off the line (both as a qualitative feel and validated by timed 0-60 MPH runs) and not as disturbed on shifts. It is stiffer, although I would argue that it's more stable in turns now with less sidewall, although I'm not sure what your qualitative metric of stable is.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      Lodi NJ
      Posts
      579
      Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      Yes, but your speedo (and odometer) is off by about 3.5% and the car is a bit slower now because of it. Not necessarily deal breakers, but they have to be taken into account.

      For reference, I ran a 235/45 instead of 235/40 for the past 2 years, and switched back to 235/40 this past month. I can attest that the car is much quicker off the line (both as a qualitative feel and validated by timed 0-60 MPH runs) and not as disturbed on shifts. It is stiffer, although I would argue that it's more stable in turns now with less sidewall, although I'm not sure what your qualitative metric of stable is.
      I Dont see any difference in speedo or speed phone GPS and speedo showing same speed. My 2017 inscription originally came with 235/45. Maybe on 2012 you feel difference but i am not on 2017.
      Last edited by Pauls90; 10-11-2020 at 07:31 PM.
      Own:
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

      Paul.

    10. #8
      Member p.rico's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      Wilmington, DE
      Posts
      1,515
      Quote Originally Posted by Pauls90 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      Yes, but your speedo (and odometer) is off by about 3.5% and the car is a bit slower now because of it. Not necessarily deal breakers, but they have to be taken into account.

      For reference, I ran a 235/45 instead of 235/40 for the past 2 years, and switched back to 235/40 this past month. I can attest that the car is much quicker off the line (both as a qualitative feel and validated by timed 0-60 MPH runs) and not as disturbed on shifts. It is stiffer, although I would argue that it's more stable in turns now with less sidewall, although I'm not sure what your qualitative metric of stable is.
      I Dont see any difference in speedo or speed phone GPS and speedo showing same speed. My 2017 inscription originally came with 235/45. Maybe on 2012 you feel difference but i am not on 2017.
      He and I are both 2012 and on a 235/40R18 and 235/45R17, which is not the same as your size. Hence why I bring it up.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

    11. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. 18 inch to 16 inch steel rims ?
      By j5255 in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 35
      Last Post: 10-09-2015, 04:32 PM
    2. WTT: 18 inch Tritons for other 17 inch OEM wheels
      By Co.T5 in forum Wheels & Tires Classifieds
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 03-07-2010, 05:30 PM
    3. Replies: 5
      Last Post: 06-17-2007, 03:50 AM
    4. Replies: 9
      Last Post: 01-22-2004, 10:17 AM
    5. 17 inch wheels vs. 18 inch wheels
      By TurboR850 in forum S60 (2001-2010)
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 01-09-2003, 08:33 AM