SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

95 940 Turbo..is my engine ruined?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  J5T 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! Long time Volvo owner/lover here..I just bought a 95 940 turbo with 197k miles. The car was maintained extremely well with dealership records going back all the way to 1998. One owner and gargae kept.. I drove it home about 30 miles and everything was smooth. I went back out to start it up after letting it sit for about an hour and the check engine light came on. Then I noticed what seemed like higher than usual rpm's at idle. After driving a few minutes I started hearing a tapping sound that seemed to be coming from underneath the car. As I pulled into the garage it became increasingly louder..check out this video to let me know what you think.
It sounds like a rod bearing maybe? I did notice it was very low on oil after hearing the noise. No oil light though,
Are these motors hard to find? Am I better off trying to repair or rebuild this?

Video here:

#2 ·
UPDATE:
So I went out today and started it up again and nothing. Engine is smooth and as quiet as ever..here is the video

Could it be the oil pump working intermittently? It's real strange how it went from being so loud to being perfectly smooth and quiet all of a sudden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.