Replacing piston rings??
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Replacing piston rings??

Hey guys:
      In order to replace the piston rings on a 2015.5 V60CC T5, does this mean the exhaust manifold must be removed in order to get to them?
      AND if it is removed, how easy is it to put the gasket back?
      Why do I ask?
      After my rings were replaced to fix oil consumption, a new "sound" has emerged. Small but persistent and Volvo says that it is the
      exhaust manifold gasket expanding/contracting....ALL NORMAL...(to them...)

As I wrote to Volvo, this doesn't happen on new engines.....and wouldn't this cause more "emissions" to leave the car then necessary and in the wrong place, too!!!

Any comments?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

All good questions, I'm glad that we replaced the exhaust manifold metal gasket when my head had to be removed for a rebuild. Many cars end up in junkyards due to belt skips or drive belt shredding/wrapping and engine seizure. After witnessing what a mechanic has to go through to do a rebuild it is very humbling. Folks I cannot stress enough the importance of doing your timing and drive belts before 120K when the book recommends. It never hurts to do it a little early.

The exhaust manifold nuts and bolts attach the head to the exhaust near the firewall towards the dash where the metal gasket sits. In order to remove the engine head these nuts and bolts must be removed in order to jiggle the head off the bottom of engine block. There are at least 12 to 14 exhaust manifold nuts and bolts and are not an easy reach. I helped my mechanic out with this grunt work as he was stretched out and I was lending a hand. It is a tough job. The gasket was not easy to line up.

Once the exhaust manifold hardware is off there are the big 12 engine bolts that attach the head to the bottom side of the engine block. If that metal gasket was not properly lined up the problem you are experiencing will be very time consuming to get to. It basically involves removing your engine head again. The pistons are then exposed and the next set of instructions for ring replacement involve removing the pan at the bottom of the engine and moving the compressor.

There are instructions Volvo provides on write-up below on the Piston Ring Replacement as the rings must be staggered at a 120 degree angle. We never got to replacing the rings, at least yours are done.

https://images.firstcallonline.com/p...or2/130443.pdf
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ak1 View Post
      Hey guys:
      In order to replace the piston rings on a 2015.5 V60CC T5, does this mean the exhaust manifold must be removed in order to get to them?
      AND if it is removed, how easy is it to put the gasket back?
      Why do I ask?
      After my rings were replaced to fix oil consumption, a new "sound" has emerged. Small but persistent and Volvo says that it is the
      exhaust manifold gasket expanding/contracting....ALL NORMAL...(to them...)

As I wrote to Volvo, this doesn't happen on new engines.....and wouldn't this cause more "emissions" to leave the car then necessary and in the wrong place, too!!!

Any comments?
      Very strange. I'll try to listen more closely when car is running, but I haven't observed anything out of the ordinary on my vehicle. I just had the rings redone 2 weeks ago.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      We never got to replacing the rings, at least yours are done.

https://images.firstcallonline.com/p...or2/130443.pdf

What what what????? Does the 2012 S60 suffer from the poor ring design? A complete teardown and you didn't swap out ring??? How come?

You have so many posts about this but have yet to post a sound clip (unless I missed it). Can you post a sound clip or video of the noise?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      You have so many posts about this but have yet to post a sound clip (unless I missed it). Can you post a sound clip or video of the noise?
      Good point.....Record what he's hearing.....And then you or someone else can weigh in on whether or not this is abnormal.

I hear no strange noises from my car after rings replaced....

I'm pretty sure you can remove the head with the turbo in place on this car. Much easier that removing the exhaust manifold in the car.

It's very common in these to have the exhaust manifold bolts on cylinder 4 and 5 to loosen up which may be the sound you are hearing. If if just started it likely hasn't damaged the gasket yet. Remove the heat shield and re torque all the manifold bolts.

Yes, you can leave the manifold in place when removing the head. The manifold gasket still should be replaced during the job.

Without hearing it, there isn't much to say, no matter how many threads about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Yes, you can leave the manifold in place when removing the head. The manifold gasket still should be replaced during the job.

Without hearing it, there isn't much to say, no matter how many threads about it.
      The manifold gasket came with the Victor Reinz kit when I did my rebuild so we replaced the metal manifold gasket, a double layered gasket. Subsequent to my rebuild I started having codes P000A & P000B indicating there was a slow cam response having to do with the cams and variable valve timing. We replaced the solenoids (a very easy DIY) and it solved the problem. The cams themselves did not show any damage and were in good shape and we lined them up and everything went ok with the timing belt install and its new tensioner was was redesigned by Volvo. We were happy to see the redesigned tensioner was all metal.

Right now I'm having a very slow trickle of an oil leak. Are there any other gaskets you have seen needing replacement in these engines ? I am taking it in to shop soon where the colored dye test will be done to try and detect the leak source.

Thanks
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Since I'm relatively old (and a tech. neophyte...).....how do you post a video clip from an iPhone to this?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ak1 View Post
      Since I'm relatively old (and a tech. neophyte...).....how do you post a video clip from an iPhone to this?
      Thanks
      Upload to YouTube, and link using the "Insert Video" button on the tools in the reply window.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

So here is the clip.....This is from another post (thepeddler) and this is a 2016 V60CC T5 yet mine is 2015.5 V60CC T5....so it is the same)
      I have the same engine as this one (as seen in video) and the sound is exactly like what mine is (just happens more frequently.....)

noise occurs at 5 seconds and 1:13):https://youtu.be/NGVdmbcBYZc

That's certainly not an exhaust manifold gasket. I'd like to hear it happening more often as on your car. I don't know what it is and haven't run into that though.

thanks for the reply.....That loud "smack" sound at 5 sec and 1:13 are the loudest that mine produces too and it is infrequent....as in the same time variables as in the video. It
      definitely occurs when the engine is off as if something is contracting when cooling down....but then why would it happen during idling only? I've tried revving the engine at lower rpms and no such sound....

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements