Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2015 v60 auxiliary usb power port behind waterfall

Hello fellow Swedespeeders,

So I have this...

And I hate this...

So I installed this...

I found a suitable spot on the passenger side behind the waterfall on the rubber pad. I looked at other spots but this was the easiest to install without removing the waterfall or center console. The only part I removed was the plastic side panel that just pops off. The spot I chose has just enough room for this double usb port. It's powered from the ignition and lights up in blue so it's easy to see in the dark but because it's behind the waterfall, it's not distracting and my wife can plug in her phone easy-peasy.

I used a variety of drills and a dremel to cut and enlarge the hole to fit the port. Go slow and everything will fit nicely. There are two thin wires running next to the power port under the panel, so be careful when enlarging the hole.

Steps... Remove the rubber pad...

Drill and contour your hole until the port fits snugly...

Verify fit and spacing and cut a hole in the rubber pad to match. I used a utility knife...

One more time to make sure it fits well and looks good...

Ground for the power port comes from a mounting point of the shifter assembly, 13 mm nut.

Switched 12V power comes from a green/orange wire in a large plug next to the shifter. I used a multimeter to verify it is switched power.

Wires hooked up and neatly tucked away. The power port kit I bought on Amazon for about $14. It comes with 2 of these plugs and the wires have a built in fuse.

Closeup of the plug...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This is a great idea, I will be doing this mod too. What's the link for the power kit plug that you purchased?

Great job and nice DIY. Do you think it would be possible to mount a wireless charging pad back there?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Bought on Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/WYMECT-Charger...tronics&sr=1-3

My experience shows wireless charging pads to be wider than the rubber strip. Maybe if it was secured with Velcro... Driving though would move the phone too much to make the charging pad useful IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by 4mudder View Post
      Bought on Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/WYMECT-Charger...tronics&sr=1-3

My experience shows wireless charging pads to be wider than the rubber strip. Maybe if it was secured with Velcro... Driving though would move the phone too much to make the charging pad useful IMHO.
      Thanks @4mudder, does the red wire splice into the green/orange wire? Is that blue plastic piece in your photo clamping the red wire to the green/orange wire?

I'm thinking of 3D printing a bracket that it sits in place of the rubber mat behind the waterfall and keeps the phone upright with a charging pad integrated to it. I would design it to prevent the phone from falling out to the left or right of the console. I'll experiment with designs and pads and could maybe print some for those who are interested!

Ah that's a very valid point, the wireless charger I have now is 65mm wide and is about 5mm larger than the rubber strip. I think it could be made to work, but looking at things you would need to remove the console and essentially build the wireless pad into that area instead of the rubber pad. But, at that point as you mention, when driving the phone is going to move around which will likely cause it to not charge reliably anyway.

I wonder if something could work in the glovebox. Hmmmm.

Ultimately though, I think what you have done is a great solution and makes use of that space behind the waterfall which, at least for me, is so far almost entirely useless.

I've been contemplating this for a while and glad to see someone has taken the plunge. I may wait until my warranty runs out, but love that you did this. What size/gauge splice and wire did you use?
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

Thanks for the photos and instructions. I rarely have to charge my phone except on a long trip so a USB cord plugged into the USB slot under the center console elbow rest compartment is satisfactory for me. Good job!
      2015.5 V60CC Savile Grey met, BLIS, heated front seats, convenience pkg, rubber mats
      2014 S60 T5 Premier Plus w/sport, xenons, BLIS, heated front seats, SCT w/nav (hers)
      2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon (sold) 120,000+ miles
      2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan (sold) 160,000+ miles
      1996 Saab 900S (sold) 110,000+ miles

Yes. The Orange/green wire is the positive power wire. I believe the blue splicer is 16/18 gauge. I used the wiring that came with the USB port and I believe those wires to be 18 gauge. The 3d printed piece would be cool. Looking forward to seeing that. The nice thing is... If you ever remove the port, you can just replace the rubber pad and voila, no hole!
      Last edited by 4mudder; 10-14-2020 at 06:46 PM.

I use my phone for everything, navigation, music, etc... So charging in the console is not an option, lol.

NICE! Can you do one for me too
      Own:
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Very nice, just hopped on to Amazon and ordered one for my S60
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Thank you all for your comments and enthusiasm. This thread really picked up after 3 days of nothin', lol.

Didn't see this till today, great write up and photos! I've wanted to do this but kept putting it off, now with your instructions there's no excuse not to do it.
      Current: 2012 S60 R Design, P* tune - "Speedy Rabbit" (Named by granddaughter after a spirited run)
      Traded: 1999 S80 T-6 - "Brit"
      Traded: 1983 850 GLT - "Samson"

I'm fairly new to the Volvo game, this is my very first Volvo, so I'm not sure how these instructions will apply to pre 2015 models. Hopefully they will be the same or very similar...

I'm fairly new to the Volvo game, this is my very first Volvo, so I'm not sure how these instructions will apply to pre 2015 models. Hopefully they will be the same or very similar...
      It will be exactly the same. The line he tapped is the same 12V switched line that feeds the cupholder power outlet.

I use this line as a power source for my remote turn on to the amp and the power source for my LOC.

In theory, you don't really need to fuse it, as it is already fused at the glove fuse box (I blew it once for drawing too much power to two phones and running the LOC), but it's good practice to add a fuse anyways.

Great add to the forum, keep it up!
      Last edited by p.rico; 10-14-2020 at 07:14 PM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Hello fellow Swedespeeders,
      Good job and write up. I was just looking to relocate power for my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. The Orange/green wire is the positive power wire. I believe the blue splicer is 16/18 gauge. I used the wiring that came with the USB port and I believe those wires to be 18 gauge. The 3d printed piece would be cool. Looking forward to seeing that. The nice thing is... If you ever remove the port, you can just replace the rubber pad and voila, no hole!
      I'm taking delivery of my '17 V60 next weekend so I'll have to wait until next weekend to begin 3D modeling the stand. It's great because I can simply remove the stand and put the mat back on covering up the hole if needed.

I like that my '10 XC60 had the port on the center console so it's pretty convenient to stick the phone behind the waterfall so this would be a next level upgrade.

I'm also installing Android auto to my car (with the help of another guide found on this forum) so it would be great to keep the phone on the pad while it's in use so that the battery doesn't drain, instead of having to plug the phone in everytime!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm not knocking you OP, but just a heads up to anyone else planning on doing this, you might want to consider installing a 12v socket instead of the specific item that the OP installed. Putting in a couple 5v 2.1a USB ports is not a future proof permanent install.
      Last edited by meade18; 10-17-2020 at 11:01 PM.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 (2.0T Drive-E) FWD (with a new engine)

No worries... Yes, if you want the more universal option of a 12v power port, by all means install that. You can still plug in a USB adapter into the 12v power port if you want. I actually considered that option but ultimately went with the USB for a cleaner look.

Just ordered this and am going to remove the faceplate:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D691JL7..._x3hJFbK471298

It's got two USBs with QuickCharge 3 and also a 12V.

Rather than splicing to an existing cable, I am going to reroute the wiring from the 12V in the cupholder and plugging the cupholder hole with a 3D printed cap.

So if I understand you correctly... You're removing the rectangular faceplate, separating the two units and installing both behind the waterfall? I have not checked the driver side space to see if a port would fit back there... I'd be interested in a cap to plug the 12V outlet in the cupholder...

So if I understand you correctly... You're removing the rectangular faceplate, separating the two units and installing both behind the waterfall? I have not checked the driver side space to see if a port would fit back there... I'd be interested in a cap to plug the 12V outlet in the cupholder...
      Correct, I am going to drill two holes similar to the setup you have and mount them behind the waterfall, with a new 3D printed faceplate and wireless charging stand.

I've attached a photo of the 12V socket that is mounted to the cupholder. There are two male blade ends that come out of the socket, as seen in the photo I've attached, meaning the connector to the wiring on the opposite end is a female connector. I'll crimp the new sockets I purchased on Amazon to a male spade connectors and connect that to the female end of the existing wiring.

Still waiting to take delivery so I'm speculating a bit but I'm confident it should work. There should be enough space to work with.

As for the cupholder cap, it should be pretty cheap to print so I could print a few and mail them to anyone interested.

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements