SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Steering box bearing/race

727 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  BF Flyers 
#1 ·
I have an extra (1968) ZF steering box that needs a bit of work-rebuild. It looks like new, but it sat on a shelf for a long time and I assumed it would leak. I also assumed it would maybe not turn as free as it should- after sitting on its side. (All was correct)

I filled it with Marvel Mystery Oil, just as an easy check for leaks and to see if it would turn a little smoother. I let it sit for a week or more. It did leak pretty well, and it did turn a good bit smoother after a week long soak of Marvel. The good news is that the worm gear shaft is still good enough to use (very minor pitting, if any). But the bearing and the race will need replacing. They are beyond a good (safe) reuse.

The bearing and race I know are no longer avaialble (as a new part). A Ford tractor steering box bearing looks like it fits (same design), but I do not think so. I surrender. So, my thoughts are hoping that the older boxes, even with different shafts, still have the same race and bearing? Am I corrected in assuming such? If so, I plan to just look for a good older box (good used race and bearing). I'm already working with my sources (-used parts). Can anyone confirm that is the same race and bearing in the ZF steering box? I can not imagine that these ever changed... until maybe you get to 1972... or later and maybe after power steering was introduced- (142 and other models). I do not know the later cars (+1970).

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.