Considering an '06 S60 AWD
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Considering an '06 S60 AWD

Ok, this seems lame but... I'm considering buying an S60 AWD from a coworker that has 182K miles for my son to replace his '01 S40. I am vastly familiar with the FWD P1 and NEDCAR Volvos but not so the P2. This car has been fairly well maintained but needs some stuff like brakes and struts / shocks. I haven't done a test drive yet. Is there anything in particular that I should look for on these cars, especially with the AWD? I will bring my VIDA/DICE.

Thanks in advance
      Stan
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      Ok, this seems lame but... I'm considering buying an S60 AWD from a coworker that has 182K miles for my son to replace his '01 S40. I am vastly familiar with the FWD P1 and NEDCAR Volvos but not so the P2. This car has been fairly well maintained but needs some stuff like brakes and struts / shocks. I haven't done a test drive yet. Is there anything in particular that I should look for on these cars, especially with the AWD? I will bring my VIDA/DICE.

Thanks in advance
      Stan
      I drove an '05 S60 AWD 2.5T for a good while, check where the PEM is located. Trunk under carpet on body panel: hooray! Rear passenger wheel well: sadness. Angle gear died on mine at 170kish, made a light clanging that changed pitch/volume on cornering. I have been told this is uncommon. Other than that it was a pretty hecking solid car, sold it to my buddy and it's still trucking right along.

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black, 1991 745 White, 1982 242 GL Silver
      Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

In August, I purchased a one family owned 2006 2.5T AWD with 210,000 miles for $2500.

Let me share with you my journey.

It needed a complete front suspension to include control arms, end links, tie rod ends, ball joints, upper strut mounts - the works. I should have replaced the shocks and struts while I was at it but budget wasn't there. It needed new OTE turbo hose ends (these get really squishy and then fail), and it also needed a new thermostat and radiator and PCV overhaul, and I still need to reflow solder the DIM because of a intermittent info screen. I also had my mechanic change the haldex fluid, rear diff, and did an oil change and trans fluid drain fill and swapped out the fuel filter. I went ahead and added a timing belt, water pump, and tensioners since the mileage was getting close anyway. While the PCV was being done, the dirty throttle body was cleaned. Now onto a DIY angle gear fluid change. Long story short - it was a well-maintained car with documented service records and regular fluid changes that was owned by one family - and literally looks kind of new and smells new inside. I'm replacing all the engine mounts next - and I guess what I'm getting at is that if you fix the regular maintenance items these cars are an absolute blast to drive, and from what I understand very reliable, especially the 2.5t.

At higher mileage, you're going to be seeing wear and maintenance items like those I listed above needed to be replaced - possibly all at once. I had a great Volvo tech do this for me in his home garage for a decent price since I'm quite busy at work... I think a lot of these cars end up in the junkyards because - I read this once online - folks on a Pontiac budget pick up used S60's and then everything maitenance-wise, catastrophically, hits them all at once and they'd rather scrap a car that books at $2k than put $2k into taking it to stage zero for another 100k miles.

My thought is make sure with the AWD that you change the driveline fluids and service the haldex fluid/filter. Rear diff, hadlex, and angle gear fluid seem to be overlooked on these cars. A transmission drain fill or two over a few oil changes would be a good idea if that hasn't been done.

You get what you put into these cars when you maintain them IMO. My car is an absolute joy to drive -I enjoy it much more than any of the red blocks and 850's that I've owned. I'm absolutely impressed with the smoothness of the drive and the torquiness of the 2.5t. The AWD is just a bonus for the wintertime snow in the mid-atlantic. I'm hoping I can drive this car another 100k miles by maintaining it to best practices and replacing wear items before critical failure.

I think the P2 2.5Ts are a fantastic machine - and IMO undervalued for what you get feature-wise compared to most used cars if they're well maintained. But beware of typical failure points such as the angle gear, the DIM failure issues, and transmission maintenance - again those seem to be overlooked in many of the used ones out there in the marketplace.
      Last edited by MoncureWW; 10-16-2020 at 07:25 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements