Which replacement tires should I get for my 2018 V90 CC?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Which replacement tires should I get for my 2018 V90 CC?

Looking for tire recommendations for my V90 CC T6 w/ 20" wheels.

Current issues with the OEM Pirellis: Lots of steering correction needed on freeway (even with recent alignment), instability on exit ramps during spirited moments

Wish list: A nice blend of good dry handling/cornering, rain handling (no snow or ice), ride comfort, quietness

Thank you in advance for any input

- 2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 / 27,000 miles / Crystal White on Blond / Convenience, Luxury, B&W, HUD, Air Suspension
      - 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero SportCombi / 70,000 miles / Steel Grey on Charcoal / 5-Speed Automatic / Maptun Software Upgrade

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Even if it doesn't see snow/ice, will it be driving in temperatures around or below 32 degrees Fahrenheit?

I would point you towards the Michelin CrossClimate SUVs. I ordered the same ones for my V90CC T6 in 245/45R20. Also, these tires work well in freezing climates (snow/ice/slush included) as well, just in case. I won't be able to give you a personal review of the tires as I still am on my stock Pirellis with 70k miles, but, will be changing soon, before it starts snowing here. Google reviews if needed and see what people have to say.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

i went with Goodyear Exhilarate...Ultra High Performance All-Season tires...

pleased with them after almost 12k miles...have not driven them in snow yet, tho...however, i selected them because they seemed to be well-rounded (pun intended) for balanced driving conditions...

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...eview-of-sorts
      Last edited by hackR; 10-13-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      ......I still am on my stock Pirellis with 70k miles......
      you got 70k miles on the stock Pirellis?...first set?...second set?

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonSwede View Post
      Even if it doesn't see snow/ice, will it be driving in temperatures around or below 32 degrees Fahrenheit?
      No, I live in SoCal. The coldest it gets here is around 40° a few nights a year.

All the reviews I've read like the Cross Climate SUVs and also the second generation Pirelli Scorpion Verdes, which apparently have improved snow and ice performance over the 1st gen that Volvo uses. As far as I know, only the Michelins have the winter snow rating symbol, making them legal to use in most (all?) States during "snow emergencies" when winter tires or chains are mandated.

Depends on where you live and winter conditions. I live in Maine and have a rural camp some distance away up in the north woods. I am a big believer in dedicated winter tires. I couldn't stand the ride with the factory 20". I bought 18" TSW Chronos wrapped in Firestone Indy 500 275/40. Awesome summer tire, read the reviews. for winter Motegi MR131 wrapped in Nokian 245/45, excellent tire when you really need to get where you want to go. It NEVER ceases to amaze me people use crappy all weather tires under a 55K car carrying their families!! in really bad weather conditions....really?
      Current garage ....2017 S90 Inscription tint, split tailpipes, KC Design rear sway, 2018 Mercedes S63 Renntech tune 673 h.p., 2012 Sprinter van, 2002 Boxster S. I am a car nut from WAAAAY back! Previously 2014 A8 SWB 4.0, Golf R, 2013 E550, 2012 S550, 2010 E350 wagon, 2008 Audi S8. 39 Buick, 33 Nash coupe, 66 Comet, 67 Fairlane and many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumfuncomet View Post
      Depends on where you live and winter conditions. I live in Maine and have a rural camp some distance away up in the north woods. I am a big believer in dedicated winter tires. I couldn't stand the ride with the factory 20". I bought 18" TSW Chronos wrapped in Firestone Indy 500 275/40. Awesome summer tire, read the reviews. for winter Motegi MR131 wrapped in Nokian 245/45, excellent tire when you really need to get where you want to go.
      It NEVER ceases to amaze me people use crappy all weather tires under a 55K car carrying their families!! in really bad weather conditions....really?
      Because EVERYONE doesn't follow your lead you have to continually try to shame people......really?

im a big fan of michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ for sport luxury cars. feedback from customers that have made the change is positive. good grip in dry and wet weather, ride quiet and smooth and wear much more evenly than oem pirelli tires. winter tires for heavy snow or extreme cold but doesnt sound like a problem for you. crossclimate is a new tire some people like, more aggressive tread though and i can feel it. probably on par feeling with oem tires with 27k on them, maybe a bit better

Quote Originally Posted by hackR View Post
      you got 70k miles on the stock Pirellis?...first set?...second set?
      Nope. The first set. They will probably last about 10-15k miles more but I don't want them to go through their 3rd Michigan winter. I'll be doing the change-over after my upcoming Texas trip, and getting the Michilins for my NM, AZ trip, and of course, MI local winter driving.

More than 90% of my driving is Interstate with minimal braking and stops, so maybe that's why. Btw, the stock Pirellis have never given me any issues whatsoever. If they were any better in snow/ice, I would actually buy them again, but unfortunately, they aren't the best all weathers out there.

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

I'd recommend the Pirelli P7 Cinturato, it is an all-weather tire but it has great grip on dry and wet, even in the snow (even if not needed, or in a pinch if you plan to use winter tires). They are also just as quiet as the foam-filled Pirelli Scorpios...without the trickery of foam. Also, very good rolling control during spirited turns.
      https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=220
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

I’ve been happy with the stock pirellis on my V90CC, but we put Michelin CrossClimates on our XC90 last year. So far, very happy with them. We didn’t get much in way of snow, but they have been great in the rain and dry.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

We put on a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5’s (245/45-20). Great performing tires in all conditions and low priced.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '20 GLC 43 AMG
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat
      '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat | ’07 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      im a big fan of michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ for sport luxury cars. feedback from customers that have made the change is positive. good grip in dry and wet weather, ride quiet and smooth and wear much more evenly than oem pirelli tires. winter tires for heavy snow or extreme cold but doesnt sound like a problem for you. crossclimate is a new tire some people like, more aggressive tread though and i can feel it. probably on par feeling with oem tires with 27k on them, maybe a bit better
      Do you recommend these tires when one lives in southern california with no snow and very little rain?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      We put on a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5’s (245/45-20). Great performing tires in all conditions and low priced.
      Good to hear. When shopping for my next set of tires, I had shortlisted the Cross Climate SUV, Quatrac 5, and Toyo Celcius. Strangely, I got the best deal on the expensive Michelins, so went for it. Have heard a lot of good things about Vredestein.

Any tire recommendations for people living in southern California where there is no snow? I think this all weather tires must do some compromises to accommodate the needs of all kind of weather and if I don't drive through snow why should I use those type of tires? Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

FWIW a friend of mine owns a tire store. He said out of all the worn tires he has seen come in that Continental wear the best...

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      Because EVERYONE doesn't follow your lead you have to continually try to shame people......really?
      continually?? And how on earth would EVERYONE follow my lead?, a little presumptuous of you isn't it? When I stop to help people in the winter in their 70K Suburbans down in a ditch, what do I hear...."but it has four wheel drive, but it has all seasons, etc. etc". If you are going to drive in 6-8" of snow and on hardpacked snow covered roads for months on end what do you think would be best, all seasons or a real snow tire. Wh do you think many states and Canada MANDATE the use of real snow tires, not all season excel at nothing tires?
      Current garage ....2017 S90 Inscription tint, split tailpipes, KC Design rear sway, 2018 Mercedes S63 Renntech tune 673 h.p., 2012 Sprinter van, 2002 Boxster S. I am a car nut from WAAAAY back! Previously 2014 A8 SWB 4.0, Golf R, 2013 E550, 2012 S550, 2010 E350 wagon, 2008 Audi S8. 39 Buick, 33 Nash coupe, 66 Comet, 67 Fairlane and many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumfuncomet View Post
      continually?? And how on earth would EVERYONE follow my lead?, a little presumptuous of you isn't it? When I stop to help people in the winter in their 70K Suburbans down in a ditch, what do I hear...."but it has four wheel drive, but it has all seasons, etc. etc". If you are going to drive in 6-8" of snow and on hardpacked snow covered roads for months on end what do you think would be best, all seasons or a real snow tire. Wh do you think many states and Canada MANDATE the use of real snow tires, not all season excel at nothing tires?
      LOL - Like I said.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      LOL - Like I said.
      There is a world of difference between "all season" and "all weather" tires.
      "All weather" are legal in most Canadian jurisdictions and have the "snowflake " triangle to indicate full compliance as a snow tire.
      I currently have Nokian WR4 all weather on my S90 and MB SUV.
      I had them on my previous S80 and XC90.
      They were and are great winter or summer. Good traction ( actually better on ice than regular snow tires), low noise, good wear.
      I live in a high snow part of the country( Quebec) and would never go back .

I am about to buy the Bridgestone - TURANZA QUIETTRACK. Tires seem to be quite and have a decent tread life. Thoughts?

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements