Rear Suspension Question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Rear Suspension Question

Is the rear suspension considered independent or semi-independent because of the single spring? My 2000 Passatt had a similar set-up that VW called semi-independent.

I'm just wondering, not complaining.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Its Independent. There is no Solid Axle Housing.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

Quote Originally Posted by gak View Post
      Is the rear suspension considered independent or semi-independent because of the single spring? My 2000 Passatt had a similar set-up that VW called semi-independent.

I'm just wondering, not complaining.
      VW usually use the torsion beam on their old and small size car, which is not independent.

Volvo prior to SPA (2016) used a fully independent suspension.

However, the new Volvo SPA suspension, it's absolutely a semi independent suspension although design wise it's independent but the leaf spring that holds both sides is affecting how each side behaves in reality. I'm talking from experience with both.

IMO, I owned a 2007 S80 and I'm currently owning a 2018 S90. The S80 suspension was much better than the new S90 suspension. The rear ones just don't feel as independent as it was prior SPA.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The Volvo rear suspension uses a transverse leaf spring which is centrally mounted. Therefore, one side does not affect the other as the central mount isolates each side.

So yes, it is fully independent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CedarMtn View Post
      The Volvo rear suspension uses a transverse leaf spring which is centrally mounted. Therefore, one side does not affect the other as the central mount isolates each side.

So yes, it is fully independent.

I partially agree but still it's not flexible as a regular coil spring. This is because it's connecting two sides at a time. If the leaf spring breaks, both rear sides will be shot right away.

Anyway, I consider this setup to be semi- independent from my experience with both setups and the way it was designed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd23 View Post
      I partially agree but still it's not flexible as a regular coil spring. This is because it's connecting two sides at a time. If the leaf spring breaks, both rear sides will be shot right away.

Anyway, I consider this setup to be semi- independent from my experience with both setups and the way it was designed.

The OP was comparing the the 2000 VW Passat’s “semi independent” suspension which is actually quite different from Volvo’s rear suspension.

Even for the Passat, there were different variants. Eg: The OP’s Passat must have been FWD with the torsion beam rear suspension (semi independent). The AWD Passat had a fully independent multi-link rear suspension.

If you look underneath your car, you’ll see that the Volvo uses a single composite spring but it is clamped so each side is totally isolated. It acts as two independent springs. In function, it’s identical to a coil spring - just packaged differently - lighter and more space efficient than coils.

With regard to breaking - typically you would replace springs in pairs so if one goes both sides are shot anyway.

If you look underneath your car, you’ll see that the Volvo uses a single composite spring but it is clamped so each side is totally isolated. It acts as two independent springs. In function, it’s identical to a coil spring - just packaged differently - lighter and more space efficient than coils.

With regard to breaking - typically you would replace springs in pairs so if one goes both sides are shot anyway.
      Agreed. There is no downside to the composite transverse leaf spring. It’s just a different packaging. Good enough for Corvettes for many generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP was comparing the the 2000 VW Passat’s “semi independent” suspension which is actually quite different from Volvo’s rear suspension.

Even for the Passat, there were different variants. Eg: The OP’s Passat must have been FWD with the torsion beam rear suspension (semi independent). The AWD Passat had a fully independent multi-link rear suspension.

I totally understand. However, it lacks the previous setup further flexibility and comfort.

Also, I don't see any difference in the trunk space between my S90 and previous S80.

Weight wise, the difference has no real benefit + not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2005_V70R View Post
      Agreed. There is no downside to the composite transverse leaf spring. It’s just a different packaging. Good enough for Corvettes for many generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Drive an S80 and then drive an S90 and I promise you will see the difference yourself.

The S80 rides better 100%.

Transverse leaf spring not part of locating the suspension is considered independent. Specifically how it is mounted, I don't know if SPA incorporates this, can have a slight non-independent effect, which is desirable, as it mimics the effect of an anti-roll bar, which means in addition to the weight savings over steel springs, the anti-roll bar can be lighter as well since the leaf spring does some of that work. Every car with anti-roll bar has some non-independent effects, that's what it is designed to do. Don't see how you can pick one aspect of a design (leaf vs coil) and attribute all difference to that one thing. There is damper tuning, arm geometry, bushing design, load handling, roll stiffness not to mention the design goals driving the ride/handling compromise..so many factors that go into it.

Does not seem to be a packaging benefit of the transverse leaf reaped in the SPA, as provisions have been made for the rear air springs so that space is simply wasted on any SPA without them.

Composite leaf spring does not fatigue and sag like steel coil. Probably need to own your Volvo for a long time time to even notice that...

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements