2001 P2 Evap Leakage Test in VIDA - how to activate
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2001 P2 Evap Leakage Test in VIDA - how to activate

My V70 T5M has been having some minor surgeries to try to correct a persistently returning P0442 code.

The J hose I replaced a few years ago so do not believe that is the source. A recent new gascap seal from FCP Euro, and replacing the hoses at the EVAP valve and between the hard lines just aft of the front subframe helped in that the P0442 doesn't come back right away, but it still won;t set the emissions monitors and throws the P0442 again,.

Getting down to only a few more possibilities, think there is one more soft hose where the Evap line runs past the fuel filter, the evap pump itself, and filler neck.

Anyhow, have been trying to use VIDA to test the system and hopefully the pump. Can't seem to get into the self test system. Highlighting the CEM it still won't bring me to the Evap test as noted in this Youtube video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWAtu5Yx0_c

Does anyone know how to activate it on a 2001 car, I know things in the evap system changed a bit begning on the 2002 cars.

Thanks in advance for any info

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Let's state the meaning of P0442 -- a Small EVAP Leak.

The purpose of running the EVAP Leak Test is to evaluate the fuel tank and EVAP subsystem as an airtight enclosure. It appears there's a small leak, it's not the fuel filler cap.
      There are DOZENS of potential leak points. The standard diagnostic approach is to do a pressurized smoke test at a shop which has a UV lamp to see the fluorescent smoke.
      Pin down the site of the leak -- it's a waste of time swapping in parts to locate a P0442.

(Mine was a micro-crack in the fuel tank where a hose bib was plastic-welded to it....once located, it was simple to repair with plastic welding kit.)

One thing I have heard of people doing is capping off the line at the subframe such that the VIDA test is only checking the rear half of the car, to help narrow it down.

Thanks for the tip on the barb. Have haerd that the filler neck on 2001's is common, but won;t be replacing that unless indicated by a smoke test (cost, labor amount).

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My smoke test ran $150. Be thankful it's a V70 FWD. If the fuel tank needs to be lowered for repairs, it's not going to cost more than the car is worth (as it would be for an AWD).

(On my '04 XC70 AWD, the shop estimated $3900 to take apart the rear drivetrain, drop the tank and put in a new tank. I bought a $20 plastic welding kit and did my own repair -- lucky my leak was accessible by just removing a rear wheel.) The smoke test saved that car from the scrapyard, since it would never pass smog in CA unrepaired.

Quote Originally Posted by zak View Post
      Does anyone know how to activate it on a 2001 car,
      There is not a leak detection pump installed on a 2001 - so you can't use VIDA to help find your leak. As other have mentioned a smoke test is your best choice.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements