Potential new 16 V60 T6 RD owner
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 15 of 15
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Posts
      8

      Potential new 16 V60 T6 RD owner

      Hello Swedespeeders,

      I'm thinking about purchasing this 2016 V60 T6 RD Platinum which has ~61000 miles on it (link below).

      https://volvocars.niello.com/used/Vo...5b85f392c6.htm

      The asking price is $25,555, and the Carfax backs up a clean history with consistent maintenance intervals performed at Volvo dealers.

      I'm having a PPI done on the car at a local Volvo specialist indy mechanic, Eurotech Automotive. Unless someone can recommend a different mechanic in the Sacramento area.

      The only issues I've noticed when driving the car is a wheel balance issue between 55 and 60 mph and the occasional odd shift from the torque converter auto. The past 3 years I have driven DCTs including the VW DSG and the PDK so I have lost the feel for a traditional transmission.

      Is there anything I should ask the mechanic to specifically check for? Is there anything else I should be thinking about? It seems like a great car for the price.

      There is one red flag. The dealer won't certify the car as a CPO even though it should meet the criteria for it. I will be pressing them on this issue before I make a purchase.

      Thank you,
      Jartin

      Edit: forgot the link
      Last edited by Jartin; 10-15-2020 at 02:46 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Posts
      8
      To follow up, the PPI came back clean. A few dents and scrapes noted, typical with age.

      The only mechanical discrepancies found are fact the brake pads were changed, but the rotors are old and the trans fluid is dirty.

      I'm okay with the brakes as they are since they feel fine under hard braking, no pulsing, and no cracks in the rotors are visible.

      I'm also planning on having the trans fluid flushed after reading some threads here recommending as such.

    4. #3
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      12,297
      Looks like the car was sold as a CPO vehicle a little over a year and 16k miles ago so wouldn't it still be in effect?

      If you're not happy with the wheel balance and transmission shifting then you might want the seller to address those items first.

      While these cars are not known for having transmission problems there have been a few on here.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      72
      The car looks great, getting an inspection done was a good idea and should tell you what you need to know.
      The rear brake pads are known to wear quickly on these cars so its not unusual to see replacement pads fairly early, I've already changed mine once at only 30k and would expect to need another change around 60k at which point I'll probably get new rotors too.
      One minor piece of information which may be useful when you're looking for more information, if you didn't know already, Volvo transitioned from the 3.0 6cyl to the 2.0 twin-charged 4 cyl during this model year. The car you're looking at is technically a 2015.5 (6cyl) not a 2016 (4cyl), when you're trying to identify parts it can be hit and miss on how they differentiate between those two models. I found this out when I bought my 2016 V60 which is essentially identical to yours but with the 4cyl engine. I drove a few '2016' V60 T6s and ended up driving examples of both and picked the 2.0 for fuel efficiency but the 3.0 is definitely the quicker car.
      2016 V60 T6 AWD R-Design POLESTAR

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Posts
      8
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Looks like the car was sold as a CPO vehicle a little over a year and 16k miles ago so wouldn't it still be in effect?

      If you're not happy with the wheel balance and transmission shifting then you might want the seller to address those items first.

      While these cars are not known for having transmission problems there have been a few on here.
      Wayne,

      Those are great points. Even though the in-service date is December 2015, I might be enjoy a couple of months of CPO coverage. The dealer hasn't mentioned whether or not it has a remainder of CPO coverage. The dealer itself offers a 45 day warranty which would nearly bring me out to the CPO end date anyhow.

      The wheels are being balanced before I sign any paperwork. As for the transmission, I think I just need to get used to it.

      It is good to know the transmissions in these are typically reliable. Car forums tend to amplify small issues.

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Posts
      8
      Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPat View Post
      The car looks great, getting an inspection done was a good idea and should tell you what you need to know.
      The rear brake pads are known to wear quickly on these cars so its not unusual to see replacement pads fairly early, I've already changed mine once at only 30k and would expect to need another change around 60k at which point I'll probably get new rotors too.
      One minor piece of information which may be useful when you're looking for more information, if you didn't know already, Volvo transitioned from the 3.0 6cyl to the 2.0 twin-charged 4 cyl during this model year. The car you're looking at is technically a 2015.5 (6cyl) not a 2016 (4cyl), when you're trying to identify parts it can be hit and miss on how they differentiate between those two models. I found this out when I bought my 2016 V60 which is essentially identical to yours but with the 4cyl engine. I drove a few '2016' V60 T6s and ended up driving examples of both and picked the 2.0 for fuel efficiency but the 3.0 is definitely the quicker car.
      Thank you for the info with the actual model year. It will definitely help with finding parts in the future.

      I'm coming from an 18 Cayman S, so I'm trying to retain as much sportiness as possible.

    9. #7
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      RI
      Posts
      1,106
      I also have a 2016 R-Design with the 3.0 with just over 61k miles. I had it since 39k and the transmission can shift a little rough sometimes, but it hasnít really gotten any worse since I got it. I had the dealer change the trans fluid and that didnít really change anything. How did the dealer know the car youíre looking at has dirty fluid? There is no dip stick. Only way to really check is to drain it.

      I havenít had any issues with mine until recently, the rear end started shuddering while turning at low speeds. The entire AOC in the back had to be replaced, which was around $4600. Thankfully I have an extended warranty and I would suggest getting one. Other than that the itís a solid car engine and transmission wise, and is pretty fun as well.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Posts
      8
      Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
      I also have a 2016 R-Design with the 3.0 with just over 61k miles. I had it since 39k and the transmission can shift a little rough sometimes, but it hasnít really gotten any worse since I got it. I had the dealer change the trans fluid and that didnít really change anything. How did the dealer know the car youíre looking at has dirty fluid? There is no dip stick. Only way to really check is to drain it.

      I havenít had any issues with mine until recently, the rear end started shuddering while turning at low speeds. The entire AOC in the back had to be replaced, which was around $4600. Thankfully I have an extended warranty and I would suggest getting one. Other than that the itís a solid car engine and transmission wise, and is pretty fun as well.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nice, Volvo bros. It was the indy mechanic who told me the trans fluid was dirty. I don't know how they checked, but I don't know why they would lie on a PPI. They did mention their process is to flush it with new fluid until the fluid comes clean.

      Is the AOC a part of the AWD system? I don't know what AOC means. I'm contemplating an extended warranty. Who is yours through?

    11. #9
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      RI
      Posts
      1,106
      Quote Originally Posted by Jartin View Post
      Nice, Volvo bros. It was the indy mechanic who told me the trans fluid was dirty. I don't know how they checked, but I don't know why they would lie on a PPI. They did mention their process is to flush it with new fluid until the fluid comes clean.

      Is the AOC a part of the AWD system? I don't know what AOC means. I'm contemplating an extended warranty. Who is yours through?
      If you do buy the car I would suggest changing the trans and diff fluids. The AOC is the active on demand coupler thats bolted to the rear diff. Itís an expensive part because haldex 5 integrates everything as one assembly. I donít think this is a common failure part at all though.

      I have the Volvo VIP warranty that I bought through steingold Volvo. They seem to be the cheapest as far as that warranty goes.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Posts
      8
      Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
      If you do buy the car I would suggest changing the trans and diff fluids. The AOC is the active on demand coupler thats bolted to the rear diff. Itís an expensive part because haldex 5 integrates everything as one assembly. I donít think this is a common failure part at all though.

      I have the Volvo VIP warranty that I bought through steingold Volvo. They seem to be the cheapest as far as that warranty goes.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thanks for letting me know the Steingold VIP Warranty. What coverage did you go with? It seems like the Powertrain only coverage covers most if not all the big ticket items. The price for a 3 yr 36k warranty is $2100, which seems fair.

    13. #11
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      RI
      Posts
      1,106
      Quote Originally Posted by Jartin View Post
      Thanks for letting me know the Steingold VIP Warranty. What coverage did you go with? It seems like the Powertrain only coverage covers most if not all the big ticket items. The price for a 3 yr 36k warranty is $2100, which seems fair.
      That seems a little high for only 3 years. I got the gold one for 5 years 72k for around the same price. They usually work with the price a little bit


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

    14. #12
      Forum Sponsor
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      766 Broadway Pawtucket, RI 02861
      Posts
      279
      Quote Originally Posted by Jartin View Post
      Thanks for letting me know the Steingold VIP Warranty. What coverage did you go with? It seems like the Powertrain only coverage covers most if not all the big ticket items. The price for a 3 yr 36k warranty is $2100, which seems fair.
      Give us a call, and we can make sure you get the best pricing!


      Michael Bernardo
      Director of Marketing
      Steingold Volvo Cars
      401-723-4700 x126
      [email protected]
      www.steingold.com

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Posts
      8
      Thanks for the advice all. She's mine now! Brought her home yesterday, and today we took her on about 150 miles of twisty mountain roads. She's great in the mountains and comfortable on the highway, a perfect combination.


    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      Top of VA
      Posts
      454
      Congratulations!

    17. #15
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      RI
      Posts
      1,106
      I highly suggest the elevate exhaust with the ViVA intake. Also the IPD read sway bar


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

    18. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 1
      Last Post: 12-17-2019, 11:08 PM
    2. Potential New 2013 Volvo s60 T6 R-Design owner
      By Fatsilentnin in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 06-03-2015, 08:59 PM
    3. New V60 RD Owner - Some "basic" questions and impressions
      By bofus in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 10-29-2014, 08:44 AM
    4. New 2015 V60 T6 RD
      By adamskf in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 04-29-2014, 12:08 AM
    5. '15 V60 RD fender gap vs. non-RD w/ sport
      By Bmo Pete in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM