Am I Eligible for a Buy Back?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Am I Eligible for a Buy Back?

I love it when it works, but my CPO MY16 XC90 is at the point where I believe it is unreliable. Got the CEL and it was another P0171 code as I have had before. This time diagnosed as a "supercharger leak" after they smoke tested. This is the same code and diagnosis I had almost exactly one year ago, they diagnosed the same problem and ended up replacing supercharger gaskets. The CEL came on again a day after giving it back, and then they replaced the oil trap. This is now a recurring issue with this vehicle.

The real kicker is, they gave it back to me last Friday and said it was ok to drive until the parts came in to fix the supercharger leak. Started a 120 mile planned trip that evening with the family to get away for the weekend, and the coolant system sh*t itself. Limped the car home in the dark dumping 2 gal of coolant into the reservoir just to drive back the 60 miles I made it from my house, stopping every 15-20 miles. Dealer diagnosed this as the "coolant pipe" breaking. This happened the day I got the car back from the dealer, what a crazy coincidence (I do believe it was just that).

This brings me to the point of my rambling: I seem to have recurring issues with this vehicle, do I have a chance with a buyback at this point? I've now had the P0171 CEL on 3 occasions, and a coolant issue in the 17 months I've owned this car. I want to stay with the brand as I've been driving Volvos forever, but I gag at the thought of owning this car out of warranty.

Anyone have any words of encouragement that a buy back could work for me in this situation? Also, any contact info for Volvo North America from the group so I can at least start this process?

Thanks in advance,

Harry

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
      I love it when it works, but my CPO MY16 XC90 is at the point where I believe it is unreliable. Got the CEL and it was another P0171 code as I have had before. This time diagnosed as a "supercharger leak" after they smoke tested. This is the same code and diagnosis I had almost exactly one year ago, they diagnosed the same problem and ended up replacing supercharger gaskets. The CEL came on again a day after giving it back, and then they replaced the oil trap. This is now a recurring issue with this vehicle.

The real kicker is, they gave it back to me last Friday and said it was ok to drive until the parts came in to fix the supercharger leak. Started a 120 mile planned trip that evening with the family to get away for the weekend, and the coolant system sh*t itself. Limped the car home in the dark dumping 2 gal of coolant into the reservoir just to drive back the 60 miles I made it from my house, stopping every 15-20 miles. Dealer diagnosed this as the "coolant pipe" breaking. This happened the day I got the car back from the dealer, what a crazy coincidence (I do believe it was just that).

This brings me to the point of my rambling: I seem to have recurring issues with this vehicle, do I have a chance with a buyback at this point? I've now had the P0171 CEL on 3 occasions, and a coolant issue in the 17 months I've owned this car. I want to stay with the brand as I've been driving Volvos forever, but I gag at the thought of owning this car out of warranty.

Anyone have any words of encouragement that a buy back could work for me in this situation? Also, any contact info for Volvo North America from the group so I can at least start this process?

Thanks in advance,

Harry
      There was a recall for cooling system pipe replacement va couple years ago. It appears yours didn't have its pipe replaced, hence the disappointing limp mode and ruined family trip.

If it were possible for you, consider using a different dealership for maintenance as your current seems incompetent and lackadaisical

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Sorry to hear about your issues. I guess they haven't done the supercharger job very will in the first time the issue occurred.

Regarding the coolant, it's possible that they messed up with the pipe when they did the other jobs. A twist on the pipe is probably enough to break it or even crack it.

My advice is try a different dealer and give the car a last chance.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      There was a recall for cooling system pipe replacement va couple years ago. It appears yours didn't have its pipe replaced, hence the disappointing limp mode and ruined family trip.

If it were possible for you, consider using a different dealership for maintenance as your current seems incompetent and lackadaisical

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      I purchased the vehicle CPO one year ago, they documented the replaced coolant pipe upon purchase. Bad luck maybe? I'm almost ready to give up on this dealers service dept. as you mentioned.

Based upon the age of the car and the fact that it was used, I doubt that it would qualify for a lemon law buy back in most states. That said, if you have serviced the car at the selling dealer, you might be able to get a trade assist for them to get you out of that car and into another Volvo. Keep in mind that while the XC90 is a very nice vehicle, MY2016 was the first year. You might want to consider a newer vehicle to avoid initial year or two teething pains. This is advice for most manufacturers since it is common for new models to have teething problems.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Is CPO car covered by lemon law?

Anyhow, hope you have bought CPO extended warranty.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237344 miles [2020-10-13]

VCNA isn't going to buy back a car you bought used. If you bought it at a dealer, that dealer might work out something with you but that would be entirely up to them.

I'm in California so I think it is in fact covered by the Lemon Law, there are many specialty firms that will review and take a lemon case at zero cost, but I was trying to avoid that scenario. Based on what Tech said below, it might be the way I have to go since this dealer has not expressed any interest in working with me to get out of it.

I should have known better than to get a MY2016 and am kicking myself now, but I did my research and thought I got a "good" one because in 3 yrs/36,000 miles it had only been in for regular maintenance and wear item replacement. Oh well, live and learn...

Lemon Law for used is that it has to pass emmisions and safety inspection or the seller has to fix/take it back.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements