2016 S60 T5 Quandry
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 12 of 12
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Posts
      5

      2013 S60 T5 Quandry

      I have a 2013 s60 T5 that I have owned for about two years. It has 83,000 miles on it, I have put on about 18,000 of those.
      The car had a number of problems that the original owner had Volvo fix (more then I knew when I bought it). It had the engine rebuilt at 40,000 miles due to bad piston rings. It also had many front end problems fixed, including new struts and control arms.
      I am not thrilled with the handling of the car, it feels like it has a lot of oversteer especially when you turn the wheel all the way. I just replaced the struts and shocks again. Last week I got a check engine light and a 'whistling' sound. It ended up to be the PCV breather system, $550 later I am up and running OK.
      As I read about that problem I saw a lot of people talking about seized engines in these cars at around 80-90k models. With all the problems this car has had I am considering trading it in right now. Anybody with any thoughts about this? Any other thoughts on the long term reliability of this car?
      Last edited by dansmail26; 10-15-2020 at 10:01 PM. Reason: mistake in year

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Posts
      5

      Mod - sorry, the title should be 2013 not 2016

      Quote Originally Posted by dansmail26 View Post
      I have a 2013 s60 T5 that I have owned for about two years. It has 83,000 miles on it, I have put on about 18,000 of those.
      The car had a number of problems that the original owner had Volvo fix (more then I knew when I bought it). It had the engine rebuilt at 40,000 miles due to bad piston rings. It also had many front end problems fixed, including new struts and control arms.
      I am not thrilled with the handling of the car, it feels like it has a lot of oversteer especially when you turn the wheel all the way. I just replaced the struts and shocks again. Last week I got a check engine light and a 'whistling' sound. It ended up to be the PCV breather system, $550 later I am up and running OK.
      As I read about that problem I saw a lot of people talking about seized engines in these cars at around 80-90k models. With all the problems this car has had I am considering trading it in right now. Anybody with any thoughts about this? Any other thoughts on the long term reliability of this car?
      mod - sorry - title should be 2013 not 2016

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      Australia
      Posts
      655
      Your heading says 2016 but your text says 2013. Depending on actual year, you will have different answers
      2015.5 V60 T5e -
      Polestar Performance Tune, Exhaust and Intake - Twin Piston Brake Conversion - SS lines - H&R Springs - IPD Rear Sway Bar

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      190
      There was a piston/piston ring combination manufactured by Volvo around 2015, used in certain engines, that only worked well for about 50,000 miles. The first sign of a problem was excessive oil consumption, and if the car was taken in before the engine block was damaged, it could be repaired with new piston rings. As far as I know, engines that were correctly repaired with new rings are considered to be reliable. The new rings must be an improved design, although I don't know the details of this. It is easy enough to keep track of oil consumption with a notebook and that is what I do with my 2005 S60. I am not aware of any unusual service history with the front suspension on these cars. It could be that your particular car was driven in a city with multiple railroad crossings, and the front end was subjected to unusual abuse. Just a guess, on my part. My Volvo has 125,000 miles at this time. It had 102,000 miles when I bought it in 2017. I change the oil at 3000 mile intervals, and the engine runs fine.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Posts
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSnooze View Post
      Your heading says 2016 but your text says 2013. Depending on actual year, you will have different answers
      Thanks, typo I fixed!

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Posts
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Johnson View Post
      There was a piston/piston ring combination manufactured by Volvo around 2015, used in certain engines, that only worked well for about 50,000 miles. The first sign of a problem was excessive oil consumption, and if the car was taken in before the engine block was damaged, it could be repaired with new piston rings. As far as I know, engines that were correctly repaired with new rings are considered to be reliable. The new rings must be an improved design, although I don't know the details of this. It is easy enough to keep track of oil consumption with a notebook and that is what I do with my 2005 S60. I am not aware of any unusual service history with the front suspension on these cars. It could be that your particular car was driven in a city with multiple railroad crossings, and the front end was subjected to unusual abuse. Just a guess, on my part. My Volvo has 125,000 miles at this time. It had 102,000 miles when I bought it in 2017. I change the oil at 3000 mile intervals, and the engine runs fine.
      It was low on oil this week, but I believe (or hope) it was due to the pcv breather problem. I will be watching it very close now. The piston rings were replaced, but I am worried that that might have been a temp fix and it could or is happening again.

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      713
      There are others who have reported consumption issues even after ring replacement.

      If you're burning oil again even after a rebuild I would say trade it in. There's something else going on. Perhaps the pistons themselves have issues or engine bore has an issue or the bottom end/block. I'm far from being an engine expert but my guess would be that even after rings are replaced an engine that was burning oil for years old is not going to be fixed by simply replacing its rings.

      What else could go wrong with an engine that has burned oil for years before the problem was even detected ? I'm sure that has some type of chain reaction effect on other engine components that were burning oil for years and will continue to burn oil.

      3 year old T5s that cost close to $50,000 when new are now going for low $20k...that's all one needs to see.
      Last edited by Highwayman; 10-16-2020 at 10:38 AM.

    10. #8
      Senior Member Wayne T5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      Russell Twp, OH
      Posts
      12,298
      Quote Originally Posted by dansmail26 View Post
      It was low on oil this week, but I believe (or hope) it was due to the pcv breather problem. I will be watching it very close now. The piston rings were replaced, but I am worried that that might have been a temp fix and it could or is happening again.
      It probably was the PCV that was causing the oil consumption. The piston ring fix is not temporary at all but is a permanent fix to the problem. I have not seen posts related to seized engines at 80-90k miles - are you thinking of timing belt issues?

      Hard to think of these cars as oversteering as the most common trait for front heavy FWD cars is understeer.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

    11. #9
      Member p.rico's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      Wilmington, DE
      Posts
      1,515
      I've never had a FWD vehicle that has done anything but plow into a curb with heavy understeer. You sure you're just not feeling the weight transfer due to the soft Touring springs and dampers?

      I cannot for my life break traction to oversteer on this car (T6 AWD) unless I'm being intentionally stupid into a hairpin turn with DTSC off.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2020
      Posts
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      I've never had a FWD vehicle that has done anything but plow into a curb with heavy understeer. You sure you're just not feeling the weight transfer due to the soft Touring springs and dampers?

      I cannot for my life break traction to oversteer on this car (T6 AWD) unless I'm being intentionally stupid into a hairpin turn with DTSC off.
      By oversteer I mean that when I make a VERY sharp turn (usually in a parking situation) it feels like the front tires are turning too much, it feels like I am going 'over the top'. I did put new shocks and struts on it.

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      72
      Quote Originally Posted by dansmail26 View Post
      By oversteer I mean that when I make a VERY sharp turn (usually in a parking situation) it feels like the front tires are turning too much, it feels like I am going 'over the top'. I did put new shocks and struts on it.
      Terms like 'oversteer' and 'understeer' are not typically associated with parking speeds they're more to do with the front/rear grip balance of the car as it exceeds the available grip at speed, i.e. do the front (under) or rear (over) wheels lose grip first and slide. It sounds like you're referring to some non-linearity in the steering at high steering angles and low speeds. I'd maybe look at the suspension work that was done recently to be sure everything is still located correctly, did you get an alignment done after the work?
      2016 V60 T6 AWD R-Design POLESTAR

    14. #12
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Arlington, VA
      Posts
      2,251
      I've noticed on a hard lock to the left or right with the front end does feel odd so I try to never lock the wheel when turning. As for your other issues I think you may have a car that will last a good while! You have a new engine so that basically resets your odometer for the engine to 43k miles. Long ways to go on this. But I am surprised the PCV went out on that new engine unless they moved that part over from the old engine. They do move parts over on a replacement engine. I too had my engine replaced around 45k. Been absolutely perfect since. I'm in the 80k range now too and haven't burned a drop of oil yet.

      What you've read about locked up engines were either due to a failed timing belt, failed serpentine belt (that can take out the timing belt) or an engine that ran dry of oil. Since you have a new engine the oil burning issue is resolved and the timing belt was replaced. Your other belts were most likely replaced as well. What you do have to monitor is the serpentine belt tensioner. That was probably moved over from the old engine and they have been an issue with this engine. If you replace that tensioner you won't have any issues with a locked up engine for a very long time assuming you keep an eye on the oil level, as everyone that owns a car should be doing.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

    15. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Quandry here for RWD owners
      By JRL in forum 740 & 760 (1982-1992)
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 07-06-2007, 05:01 PM
    2. Factory Aero Kit Quandry
      By Brickhouse in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 12-12-2006, 02:43 PM
    3. Parental quandry
      By bpwrightwv in forum Off Topic Forum
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 06-24-2006, 12:14 PM
    4. Quandry! Will I regret FWD only??
      By mingo in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 28
      Last Post: 03-22-2006, 02:24 PM
    5. Sond System System Quandry
      By tah850 in forum Car Audio, Video & Mobile Electronics Forum
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 11-03-2004, 03:15 PM