Gas gauge = software glitch? 2017 S60 T5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Gas gauge = software glitch? 2017 S60 T5

I drove nearly 1,000 miles in 2 days and filled the tank 3 times. After the first tankful of gas I was down to 3 bars on the gas gauge. The miles to empty showed 240. I thought that is really odd because that seems high. As I left the gas station after filling up a second time my miles to empty showed 950! Now after my 4th tank of gas everything seems normal. Does anyone know what was happening to my trip computer?
      2017 S60i T5

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Fuel sensor on one side might have been blocked or faulty. Fuel sensors and exact fuel volume on each side of the saddle tank can be displayed on a smartphone with Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app (select Volvo 2014+ VEA, then check All sensors menu).

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...9&#post7593879

volvo's math to calculate distance to empty is bad. they only use last 10 miles average mpg times amount of fuel left. example: drive around city and get 20mpg. you have 15 gallons of fuel, will display 300 until empty. drive on highway a few hours, get 30mpg, now have 10 gallons of fuel. distance until empty will show 300. but wait how did we drive for hours and not use any fuel? silly math equation. not broken, just bad math. but to display 900 until empty, you must've been getting killer mpgs

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      silly math equation. not broken, just bad math.
      Agreed and I would go as far to say that it's borderline broken. I've driven to work and back, about 20 miles, with a trip ending with higher miles to empty. They really need to work on their algorithm. My previous VW never showed that kinda discrepancy and was very steady to zero. It's even more critical with the low resolution gas gauge. With 1 bar left you really don't know how far you can go.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

I find it to be pretty fine on my end, but I also travel 80% on the highway so the algorithm intervals don't see much usage change from each step to the next.

Good rule of thumb is that each bar is ~2 gallons. So yes, there is a bit of a resolution issue when you get to one bar.... however, I will say though that if you get to a bar, it's time to fill anyways. There are tons of gas stations around, so I fill when it's convenient to and usually don't wait to empty the tank out.
      Last edited by p.rico; 10-16-2020 at 10:25 AM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

my favorite is when I fill up on a Friday morning after a week of city/suburban commuting... will usually show something around 300 at that point... then hit the highway after work and cruise steadily at 60 and it will climb for the next hour or so... after driving 100 miles I will typically have 50-100 miles more than I started with... used to really baffle my daughter when we went on weekend road trip adventures
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Lol, we took the S60 from NJ to Orlando Florida twice for the kids to Disney. But in my case it's about 18 hours for those 1086 miles. I drive the overnight shift while everyone sleeps. Make it to about South Carolina and then the IHOP stop gives us energy for the next 6 hours or so. Ahh, the miracle of coffee.

Where did you go for those 1000 miles ?
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Actually the S60 is my workhorse, rarely gets to go on trips... took it to Ohio in April 2019, was a joy to drive back from Cleveland non-stop via I-80 to avoid the brutal PA turnpike full length toll.

The Daddy daughter road-trip car is the C70, which has done Florida twice, and St. Louis twice, once solo out-and-back direct for a couple of Roger Waters concerts, second time with my daughter for the solar eclipse, home via South-West Ontario to visit family, and Niagara Falls.

Daughter and I did drive across the country spring break 2019... Philly, Nashville, four corners, Grand Canyon, Vegas, LA, Pacific Coast Highway, SF, then a haul home all the way on I-80... was going to be in the C70, but a mechanical checkup the week before departure revealed lower control arms not up to that kind of trip, so we did it in a rental 2018 Nissan Altima, which more than paid for itself in gas-mileage alone, never mind 6,535 miles worth of wear and tear. We were supposed to have done a European trip this past summer, obviously turned out to be the wrong year to plan that.

That's what it's all about. Love those road trips. Reality is I'd rather drive than fly. Beautiful moments, can't wait for my daughter to start her senior year at HS and take driver's ed. Everything is on hold and we sure take for granted normal simple things.

Glad to hear and that is very inspiring for me to hear at this time. Can't wait for those days. She loves Disney so I'm sure we're probably headed there and a concert wherever Pearl Jam is or if Pink Floyd ever tours again. Never did a concert type of road trip..great idea..thanks
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

The Ohio trip was to see Nick Mason’s band as they had inconsiderately scheduled their Philly stop for the day before we were getting home from the already planned, prepared and largely pre-paid cross country trip... turned out to be a totally amazing trip: by total accident I stayed at the same hotel as the band in Colombus, ran in to them again next day at the Rock’n’Roll hall of fame in Cleveland, and then stayed in the same hotel as them in Akron that night, even rode the elevator down to breakfast with Nick himself!

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements