Crack in pipe
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 15 of 15

    Thread: Crack in pipe

    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      16

      Crack in pipe (pics added)

      After parking my car today, I started hearing some intermittent rustling/tapping noises. I looked under my car and under my hood and didn't see anything.

      However, upon looking under my hood, I saw a tear/crack in one of the pipes. It's right between the battery and the big T6 cover (excuse my lack of better terminology).

      Does anyone have any idea what this pipe does and if it's dangerous to drive it with the tear/crack?

      I posted two pictures for reference:


      https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/B6jLk32jIEnN

      https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/E4nJTI6cprRN

      20201017-162207
      free image host


      20201017-121957
      free image host


      Thanks!
      Last edited by VolvoNY; 10-17-2020 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Pics

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      188
      What model Volvo is this? What year was in manufactured? What I am seeing in the photo looks like black foam insulation on a refrigerant line, that goes between the HVAC evaporator located under the dashboard, inside the cabin, and the HVAC condenser, which is located at the front of the car, in front of the engine coolant radiator.

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Johnson View Post
      What model Volvo is this? What year was in manufactured? What I am seeing in the photo looks like black foam insulation on a refrigerant line, that goes between the HVAC evaporator located under the dashboard, inside the cabin, and the HVAC condenser, which is located at the front of the car, in front of the engine coolant radiator.
      Hi Eric,
      It's a 2011 Volvo s60.
      The "tube/pipe" has a rubbery look to it.

      There is some fuel smell when I use the heater when I'm idling only (no smell with AC).
      Is that related perhaps?

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

    6. #4
      Looks like a vacuum line, perhaps
      Could affect a lot of things. Best to replace.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by paradoxicallymodified View Post
      Looks like a vacuum line, perhaps
      Could affect a lot of things. Best to replace.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Thanks paradoxicallymodified! What is the estimated range of cost to replace it?

    8. #6
      Quote Originally Posted by VolvoNY View Post
      Thanks paradoxicallymodified! What is the estimated range of cost to replace it?
      If it were me.....? Iíd go with some Mishimoto silicone from connection point to connection point. Pick black if you want it to look somewhat stock. Iíve replaced all of mine with it.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by paradoxicallymodified View Post
      If it were me.....? Iíd go with some Mishimoto silicone from connection point to connection point. Pick black if you want it to look somewhat stock. Iíve replaced all of mine with it.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Awesome... Thanks for the tip. What stores sells this silicone tape. Also, is there a way for me to check to see if the tape was sealed correctly/verify no vacuum leaks?

    10. #8
      Quote Originally Posted by VolvoNY View Post
      Awesome... Thanks for the tip. What stores sells this silicone tape. Also, is there a way for me to check to see if the tape was sealed correctly/verify no vacuum leaks?
      Itís not tape. Itís the entire tubing.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by paradoxicallymodified View Post
      Itís not tape. Itís the entire tubing.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Got it... Thanks for clarifying!

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      188
      The "fuel smell" that you sense when using the heater could be due to a defect in the crankcase ventilation system. When the system is working normally, it collects vapors from the crankcase and feeds these vapors back into the engine intake where they are burned up with the fuel/air mixture. When it gets clogged up with combustion residuals, and stops working, the engine bay tends to smell like burned oil or hot oil.

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Johnson View Post
      The "fuel smell" that you sense when using the heater could be due to a defect in the crankcase ventilation system. When the system is working normally, it collects vapors from the crankcase and feeds these vapors back into the engine intake where they are burned up with the fuel/air mixture. When it gets clogged up with combustion residuals, and stops working, the engine bay tends to smell like burned oil or hot oil.
      Ohh I see. Thanks!!

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Johnson View Post
      What model Volvo is this? What year was in manufactured? What I am seeing in the photo looks like black foam insulation on a refrigerant line, that goes between the HVAC evaporator located under the dashboard, inside the cabin, and the HVAC condenser, which is located at the front of the car, in front of the engine coolant radiator.
      Hi Eric,
      So I got a chance to check it again.
      The tube is foam type material and underneath it is a plastic tube. Is this consistent with the insulation on the refrigerant line? If so, how urgent is it to replace it? And can it be done by myself ?

    15. #13
      Quote Originally Posted by VolvoNY View Post
      Hi Eric,
      So I got a chance to check it again.
      The tube is foam type material and underneath it is a plastic tube. Is this consistent with the insulation on the refrigerant line? If so, how urgent is it to replace it? And can it be done by myself ?
      Vacuum line


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      188
      The cooling system is a sealed loop, which contains refrigerant and also some lubricant. Before any line is opened or cut, the refrigerant has to be pumped out using a vacuum pump, and stored in an appropriate container. If the line is a vacuum line, and the plastic hose inside the foam insulation is intact, then the line is OK as is and does not need to be replaced. I am not sure why a vacuum line would be insulated with foam. Perhaps to protect the plastic line from engine heat. My 2005 Volvo has the battery located in the trunk, so your car is not an exact match to mine.

    17. #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Johnson View Post
      The cooling system is a sealed loop, which contains refrigerant and also some lubricant. Before any line is opened or cut, the refrigerant has to be pumped out using a vacuum pump, and stored in an appropriate container. If the line is a vacuum line, and the plastic hose inside the foam insulation is intact, then the line is OK as is and does not need to be replaced. I am not sure why a vacuum line would be insulated with foam. Perhaps to protect the plastic line from engine heat. My 2005 Volvo has the battery located in the trunk, so your car is not an exact match to mine.
      Itís insulated on the small tube to from PCV as well


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    18. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Crack in OTE pipe near top mount. Solution?
      By Papa_Kirlo in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 04-11-2015, 06:33 AM
    2. Nice Price or Crack Pipe of the day - Jalopnik
      By adavis2493 in forum Car Lounge
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 08-07-2014, 02:15 PM
    3. Anyone's S60R featured on 'nice price or crack pipe'
      By Syrup in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM
    4. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 05-24-2010, 03:52 PM
    5. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 09-15-2009, 02:29 PM