Crack in pipe
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Crack in pipe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous PostNext Post Next Post

Crack in pipe (pics added)

After parking my car today, I started hearing some intermittent rustling/tapping noises. I looked under my car and under my hood and didn't see anything.

However, upon looking under my hood, I saw a tear/crack in one of the pipes. It's right between the battery and the big T6 cover (excuse my lack of better terminology).

Does anyone have any idea what this pipe does and if it's dangerous to drive it with the tear/crack?

I posted two pictures for reference:

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/B6jLk32jIEnN

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/E4nJTI6cprRN

20201017-162207
      free image host

20201017-121957
      free image host

Thanks!
      Last edited by VolvoNY; 10-17-2020 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Pics

What model Volvo is this? What year was in manufactured? What I am seeing in the photo looks like black foam insulation on a refrigerant line, that goes between the HVAC evaporator located under the dashboard, inside the cabin, and the HVAC condenser, which is located at the front of the car, in front of the engine coolant radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Johnson View Post
      What model Volvo is this? What year was in manufactured? What I am seeing in the photo looks like black foam insulation on a refrigerant line, that goes between the HVAC evaporator located under the dashboard, inside the cabin, and the HVAC condenser, which is located at the front of the car, in front of the engine coolant radiator.
      Hi Eric,
      It's a 2011 Volvo s60.
      The "tube/pipe" has a rubbery look to it.

There is some fuel smell when I use the heater when I'm idling only (no smell with AC).
      Is that related perhaps?

4. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Hi Eric,
      So I got a chance to check it again.
      The tube is foam type material and underneath it is a plastic tube. Is this consistent with the insulation on the refrigerant line? If so, how urgent is it to replace it? And can it be done by myself ?

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoNY View Post
      Hi Eric,
      So I got a chance to check it again.
      The tube is foam type material and underneath it is a plastic tube. Is this consistent with the insulation on the refrigerant line? If so, how urgent is it to replace it? And can it be done by myself ?
      Vacuum line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like a vacuum line, perhaps
      Could affect a lot of things. Best to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxicallymodified View Post
      Looks like a vacuum line, perhaps
      Could affect a lot of things. Best to replace.

Thanks paradoxicallymodified! What is the estimated range of cost to replace it?

Thanks paradoxicallymodified! What is the estimated range of cost to replace it?
      If it were me.....? Iíd go with some Mishimoto silicone from connection point to connection point. Pick black if you want it to look somewhat stock. Iíve replaced all of mine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxicallymodified View Post
      If it were me.....? Iíd go with some Mishimoto silicone from connection point to connection point. Pick black if you want it to look somewhat stock. Iíve replaced all of mine with it.

Awesome... Thanks for the tip. What stores sells this silicone tape. Also, is there a way for me to check to see if the tape was sealed correctly/verify no vacuum leaks?

Awesome... Thanks for the tip. What stores sells this silicone tape. Also, is there a way for me to check to see if the tape was sealed correctly/verify no vacuum leaks?
      Itís not tape. Itís the entire tubing.

The "fuel smell" that you sense when using the heater could be due to a defect in the crankcase ventilation system. When the system is working normally, it collects vapors from the crankcase and feeds these vapors back into the engine intake where they are burned up with the fuel/air mixture. When it gets clogged up with combustion residuals, and stops working, the engine bay tends to smell like burned oil or hot oil.

The "fuel smell" that you sense when using the heater could be due to a defect in the crankcase ventilation system. When the system is working normally, it collects vapors from the crankcase and feeds these vapors back into the engine intake where they are burned up with the fuel/air mixture. When it gets clogged up with combustion residuals, and stops working, the engine bay tends to smell like burned oil or hot oil.
      Ohh I see. Thanks!!

The cooling system is a sealed loop, which contains refrigerant and also some lubricant. Before any line is opened or cut, the refrigerant has to be pumped out using a vacuum pump, and stored in an appropriate container. If the line is a vacuum line, and the plastic hose inside the foam insulation is intact, then the line is OK as is and does not need to be replaced. I am not sure why a vacuum line would be insulated with foam. Perhaps to protect the plastic line from engine heat. My 2005 Volvo has the battery located in the trunk, so your car is not an exact match to mine.

The cooling system is a sealed loop, which contains refrigerant and also some lubricant. Before any line is opened or cut, the refrigerant has to be pumped out using a vacuum pump, and stored in an appropriate container. If the line is a vacuum line, and the plastic hose inside the foam insulation is intact, then the line is OK as is and does not need to be replaced. I am not sure why a vacuum line would be insulated with foam. Perhaps to protect the plastic line from engine heat. My 2005 Volvo has the battery located in the trunk, so your car is not an exact match to mine.
      Itís insulated on the small tube to from PCV as well

I highly recommend starting a thread in the P3 S60 sub-forum. These P2 cars never came with the SI6 T6, so most people in this forum probably aren't familiar with it, myself included. If it's just foam insulation over a plastic tube, I believe that's a vacuum or PCV hose. Is that's the case, the foam is just insulation, and doesn't need to be replaced. It won't affect anything mechanically.

Again, I'm not too familiar with these engines, so I can't say for sure. I recommend checking out a parts diagram here (parts.volvocarslisle.com) or asking in the appropriate sub forum.
      2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 200k
      2003 S60 2.4T Silver/Black 118k
      1991 944 Turbo B230FT/AW70 175k
      1992 245 crusty roller/driveway ornament/eventual V8 swap 249k
      2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 174k
      1999 BMW 528iT Alpine White/Sand Beige 246k
      2001 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 junk hauler 211k
      2001 Miata with the wrong transmission 134k
      Sold-
      1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
      1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
      1995 850 GLT Tropic Green... crushed
      1993 944 B230F/AW71L 221k
      2000 S70 GLT Silver/Taupe 253k
      2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
      1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k

Need used parts? PM me!

Itís a vacuum line. Itís sheathed in a dense foam for whatever reason. It is going to have a solid plastic inner liner. Like others have said, if itís just the foam itís not going to hurt anything except aesthetics. If, you wanted to replace them the Mishimoto is an upgrade over stock and wonít break the bank. To replace, use a pen knife and slit the plastic where it goes over the barbed fitting. Using a small amount of silicone spray on the barb to facilitate the new hose sliding over. You can find spring clamps at Ace hardware but you can also find better ones at McMaster Carr or belmetric.com.

Its just the foam on the vacuum line to the brake booster from the brake vacuum pump. Nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Its just the foam on the vacuum line to the brake booster from the brake vacuum pump. Nothing to worry about.
      Ah, that's exactly what I thought it was after taking a closer look at it. So yeah, nothing to worry about!
      2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 200k
      2003 S60 2.4T Silver/Black 118k
      1991 944 Turbo B230FT/AW70 175k
      1992 245 crusty roller/driveway ornament/eventual V8 swap 249k
      2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 174k
      1999 BMW 528iT Alpine White/Sand Beige 246k
      2001 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 junk hauler 211k
      2001 Miata with the wrong transmission 134k
      Sold-
      1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
      1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
      1995 850 GLT Tropic Green... crushed