Oil pressure light randomly coming on, oil level fine
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Earlier I was driving and went around a corner (turning right onto highway on ramp). My oil pressure light came on for around 2 seconds and then went off. I, freaking out, knowing what that usually means for our cars, pulled off at the next exit. Let the car sit and then checked my oil. Completely fine, had just changed it about two months ago. Level was completely full. Started reading that maybe me going around a corner caused this.

Bit after that, same thing happened again. Checked, oil still fine. Then happened once more.

Is something failing, like the oil sending unit? Or maybe the oil pressure sensor? Just want to make sure Iím fine to keep driving it or if something is majorly wrong. Any help much appreciated!

Evan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Did the engine make a sound or bog down when the light was on? I've had the light come on a few times. It was mostly on a single 90 degree left uphill to flat corner i took at 20-30mph before I was aware of my oil burn. But every time a sound. It was many years ago so don't remember much.

Corner makes sense for the light coming on regardless. G force pulling oil away from the pickup. Not that I know how our pickup works. I'd guess crack/clog on the pickup screen in the system first. There are a couple DTCs that might show up with a scan.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
      Did the engine make a sound or bog down when the light was on? I've had the light come on a few times. It was mostly on a single 90 degree left uphill to flat corner i took at 20-30mph before I was aware of my oil burn. But every time a sound. It was many years ago so don't remember much.

Corner makes sense for the light coming on regardless. G force pulling oil away from the pickup. Not that I know how our pickup works. I'd guess crack/clog on the pickup screen in the system first. There are a couple DTCs that might show up with a scan.
      No DTCs when I checked. I didnít notice any sound with the light but although my exhaust drones quite a bit so I might have not heard it.

Anything I should be checking or working about even if my oil level is good?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Was driving again this morning and the light came on when turning around in a parking lot, didnít go off until I had turned the car off. Let it sit for a few minutes and started back up fine, no oil light on.

What should I do? No DTCs set at all. Is this likely an issue with the PCV or could this be something relating to the oil sending unit or sensor? My PCV hose and housing are around 2-3 years old.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Also to add, two months ago I had dropped my oil pan and cleared out all the sludge around the pickup tube, etc, and replaced all seals and gaskets relating to the oil pan/oil cooler. So I doubt the pickup tube is clogged, as I also changed the oil then as well.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

I think you need to drop the pan and take a very close look.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      I think you need to drop the pan and take a very close look.
      As mentioned I had dropped the pan about two months ago and completely changed all seals, etc. in this process I completely cleared out all sludge from the pan and the bottom of the motor.

Is this likely a mechanical issue, as in oil is not physically getting to the sending unit, or more likely something electrical?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

does the oil pressure light also come on while braking?

Quote Originally Posted by Facusan View Post
      does the oil pressure light also come on while braking?
      It did come on one time when I came to a hard stop because someone in front of me slammed on their brakes yesterday. But it was a pretty hard stop. Doesnít do it when just approaching a light or stop sign like normal.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      I had dropped my oil pan and cleared out all the sludge around the pickup tube. So I doubt the pickup tube is clogged.
      Did you have the new style pickup tube? Plastic and looks like a tulip flower before it blooms? Whenever I would remove a pan (usually because the low oil pressure light flashes) to clean the sludge out - I would always replace the pick up tube - well the first one I didn't replace the tube and got to pull the pan again because the light still flashed - to put a new tube in.

The pressure will drop if the idle speed drops too low, or from oil starvation around corners and braking if the oil level is low - or perhaps if the pickup tube is partially clogged. I've never had to replace an oil pressure sending unit because it would ground (and turn the light on) at too high a pressure.

How many quarts do you put in when you change the oil?

Sounds like you'll have to do what tmtalpey said.

There are several threads about people having problems with oil pressure after they removed and replaced the oil pan for servicing/cleaning, or whatever reason.
      The main problem seems to be the o-rings getting out of position during the installation of the oil pan.

If I were on your situation. I would connect an oil pressure gauge temporarily and take the car for a short drive and check the pressure while driving.

If your pressure goes way too low, then bad news, You'll have to drop the oil pan again and reseat the o-rings

I know it sucks having to do that again. But keep in mind, an engine with low or no oil pressure is NOT GOOD at all.

Sounds like you'll have to do what tmtalpey said.

There are several threads about people having problems with oil pressure after they removed and replaced the oil pan for servicing/cleaning, or whatever reason.
      The main problem seems to be the o-rings getting out of position during the installation of the oil pan.

If I were on your situation. I would connect an oil pressure gauge temporarily and take the car for a short drive and check the pressure while driving.

If your pressure goes way too low, then bad news, You'll have to drop the oil pan again and reseat the o-rings

I know it sucks having to do that again. But keep in mind, an engine with low or no oil pressure is NOT GOOD at all.
      If the o rings got out of position, wouldnít my issue have occurred almost immediately after I installed the new pan seals, etc? That was around 3 months ago. I feel like that issue would have come up almost immediately if the o rings were not seated properly, I even triple checked to make sure they were staying in place before fully seating the pan.

Iíll definitely monitor the pressure. Iíll probably do this with VIDA to see what it is seeing.

Are there two different oil pickup tubes? Mine is an 06 so would it be an older style pickup tube?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

If the o rings got out of position, wouldnít my issue have occurred almost immediately after I installed the new pan seals, etc?

Iíll definitely monitor the pressure. Iíll probably do this with VIDA to see what it is seeing.
      That would make sense, unless the O-ring got out of position and the sealant was doing the job of the o-ring and now it gave up. but this is a far-fetched theory.

IIRC, VIDA doesn't show the actual oil pressure value, only tells if there is enough pressure or not. but is not a bad idea to check if there is any DTC's

also I remembered about this video:

Here's a 2.4i disassembly video: https://youtu.be/ayQO5-ft9WI?t=355

That would make sense, unless the O-ring got out of position and the sealant was doing the job of the o-ring and now it gave up. but this is a far-fetched theory.

IIRC, VIDA doesn't show the actual oil pressure value, only tells if there is enough pressure or not. but is not a bad idea to check if there is any DTC's

also I remembered about this video:

Here's a 2.4i disassembly video: https://youtu.be/ayQO5-ft9WI?t=355
      Iíll take a look at the video.

So do you think that it wouldnít make sense for it to be the o rings since itís been so long?

After stuff dries out around here from the rain Iím going to look at the pressure sensor to see if itís leaking, I replaced it several years ago for leaking slight amounts of oil around itís seal.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

I think if it ran fine for 3 months, then it's rare for the o-rings to fail.

But. if you can't find what's wrong, then I guess you'll have to drop the pan again to check in there.

The way I see this is: Either Replace the oil pressure sensor and hopefully is just that. Or connect a oil pressure gauge and check it while driving.

I think if it ran fine for 3 months, then it's rare for the o-rings to fail.

But. if you can't find what's wrong, then I guess you'll have to drop the pan again to check in there.

The way I see this is: Either Replace the oil pressure sensor and hopefully is just that. Or connect a oil pressure gauge and check it while driving.
      Where am I able to connect an oil pressure gauge at? I didnít think there was a good location on our cars, but I might be wrong

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

you can connect it to where the oil pressure sensor connects to. you may have to use a Tee fitting. I've never done this. maybe you can find more info in the C30 section since they are a more performance focused group

VIDA says to connect the oil pressure gauge where the oil sensor connects to.

If you have VIDA it's in the "Information" tab -> Repair -> "Cleaning, Inspection and Adjustment" -> Function group 220 -> Oil pressure test

VIDA says to connect the oil pressure gauge where the oil sensor connects to.

If you have VIDA it's in the "Information" tab -> Repair -> "Cleaning, Inspection and Adjustment" -> Function group 220 -> Oil pressure test
      Can I leave the oil pressure sensor disconnected or do I need a T to connect both?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

It says to leave the sensor disconnected, The Tee fitting was an idea to connect both at the same time.

Here's the VIDA procedure: VIDA Oil pressure test

Iíll probably do this with VIDA to see what it is seeing.
      VIDA does not see anything with oil pressure - you have a pressure switch that does not ground a wire signaling the CEM to turn the light off when the pressure is above 7 PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
      VIDA does not see anything with oil pressure - you have a pressure switch that does not ground a wire signaling the CEM to turn the light off when the pressure is above 7 PSI.
      I see, so we donít have a pressure sensor, but rather a pressure switch.

Could it be likely that either the pressure switch is bad again, or that the wiring is coming loose?

Also, would it be possible on our cars to have a T connector so that I can have the standard switch as well as an actual sensor going to a gauge?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

I replaced it several years ago for leaking slight amounts of oil around itís seal.

A-HA - the complete story! Where did you get this oil pressure sending unit? Was it the factory part?

A-HA - the complete story! Where did you get this oil pressure sending unit? Was it the factory part?
      If Iím being completely honest I canít remember. Iíll try and dig through my invoices/order history on a couple different websites and check. It was the oil pressure switch that sits on the front of the block near the PCV housing.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

IMO it's not the sender. Switch doesn't care about corners and slosh. VIDA doesn't either.

Again. Drop the pan. And, before a bearing runs dry.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Mine was coming on especially if I labored the engine (6-speed manual) and was getting worse over time. The engine otherwise ran great and the oil level was good (5W30 and 10W30). I changed the oil pressure sensor and the problem has been gone for a few years now.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      IMO it's not the sender. Switch doesn't care about corners and slosh. VIDA doesn't either.

Again. Drop the pan. And, before a bearing runs dry.
      What would cause an issue like that to show up though? Especially after I dropped the pan several months ago and cleared everything out? Wouldnít this have come up pretty soon thereafter if something was wrong then?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      Mine was coming on especially if I labored the engine (6-speed manual) and was getting worse over time. The engine otherwise ran great and the oil level was good (5W30 and 10W30). I changed the oil pressure sensor and the problem has been gone for a few years now.
      It does seem to come on when Iím going harder on the motor, but itís almost always happened when Iím using the ďmanualĒ mode in the Geartronic.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

What would cause an issue like that to show up though? Especially after I dropped the pan several months ago and cleared everything out? Wouldnít this have come up pretty soon thereafter if something was wrong then?
      If you suspect the oil pressure sender, you need to test. Put a gauge on the port like the VIDA procedure Facusan posted. But this is not a common failure.

Mainly I'm focused on your recent oil pan job. It's quite common that such a job dislodges an o-ring or alters the pickup tube. And you say the word "sludge".

Either one you choose to do, you need to get in there. Don't drive it in the meantime, since it happens so readily.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

If stumped, try replacing the sensor. The sensors are about $25 for a genuine Volvo or about $5 for aftermarket. They are easy to replace once you get the air filter box out of the way. Mine happened to be bad and it saved me much worry and grief.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Quote Originally Posted by AutoGeek View Post
      If stumped, try replacing the sensor. The sensors are about $25 for a genuine Volvo or about $5 for aftermarket. They are easy to replace once you get the air filter box out of the way. Mine happened to be bad and it saved me much worry and grief.
      I think this is what Iíll do first. Against many recommendations Iíve still been driving the car and havenít had any issues with the light coming back on even in similar situations. No DTCs yet either. Iíll probably still replace it as preventative measures.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

No DTCs yet either.
      Oil pressure will not/can not set a code - The red warning light on the dash is the drivers code -

Oil pressure will not/can not set a code - The red warning light on the dash is the drivers code -
      I figured that if I lost oil pressure that other codes would be set in the motor, for example the VVT solenoids like to throw codes when oil pressure drops or the oil is bad as they run on oil pressure. Not a specific DTC for low oil pressure.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

If you lose oil pressure, the only ďDTCĒ youíll be able to see, will be stored in your oil pan in form of metal flakes.

If you lose oil pressure, the only ďDTCĒ youíll be able to see, will be stored in your oil pan in form of metal flakes.

I get that. Iím just saying I donít think itís something with the pan. Iím going to keep an eye on it as well as my oil (going to drain a bit and check it out). Iíd really rather not have to drop the pan again but if I have to then I will. I appreciate everyoneís input though as this problem is strange

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast