Brake Cooling?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Brake Cooling?

Brake Cooling?

Afternoon all,

I am looking to track my P* for track day use under instruction here in the UK, and have concerns over brake cooling, heard a malicious rumour that it wasn't great on these, any one toyed with or installed after market ducts/pipework for cooling?

Mark,

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by elys1ur View Post
      Afternoon all,

I am looking to track my P* for track day use under instruction here in the UK, and have concerns over brake cooling, heard a malicious rumour that it wasn't great on these, any one toyed with or installed after market ducts/pipework for cooling?

Mark,
      First thing I would start with is top quality Fluid. Get some Castrol SRF React racing. Flush it through.

Go to the P* Owners FB page and Peter Ontiveros has posted numerous in depth reviews/how to posts on brake issues for people who want to track their P*s. He also has videos on brake upgrades on Youtube under his tshirtdriving video site there. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1L...lYisuwCdLBrWmg

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by The Flute View Post
      First thing I would start with is top quality Fluid. Get some Castrol SRF React racing. Flush it through.
      Another conservative measure would be to install titanium shims. These probably won't help much with very aggressive stops but they should provide some "buffer" by shielding the brake pistons from heat. I have not tried those myself yet - just bought them along with some heat sensing stickers (planning to try those ti shims on one side first to see if the stickers will show any difference in max temperature).

Edit: on the other hand, air ducts would be a lot more efficient overall.
      Last edited by captain oblivion; 10-18-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Already changed the Brake Fluid for a better performing one, or at least the fluid is waiting at home ready for me returning from my offshore stint.

Reluctant to do away with the current brake setup at the moment, but when I do I have my eye on the rotora gear, looks top notch, but want to get a feel for the car on track prior to making one change at a time.

I have not done any cooling yet other then removing the dust shields behind all rotors. Ran Mosport a few weeks back, and this is a fast track and had good luck with DTC 60 hawk pads. No fade at all. Still stock fluid
      2002 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity -beater duty now
      2013 XC60 T6R-design- IPD exhaust- Ice White [email protected] mph
      2015.5 V60 Polestar- Black- do88/TDI/GFB/APATuned DownPipe/AirBox Mods/Elevate rear bar/Project6gr 19x9.5-275/35/19 [email protected] mph
      2008 XC70 3.2

Mopar Tech

A good solution is to create a cooling scoop with a sleeve to dissipate the heat. a fresh air scoop is also needed in the front mudguard
      VOLVO V60 AWD MY12 Cosmic White
      Polestar Tune
      Bodykit + accessories Polestar genuine

See my topic -> https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...in-France-quot

My Instagram -> https://www.instagram.com/v60_project_polestar/

FORD FOCUS RS MK2 MY10 White
      Kit Mountune Performance RS500 by Ford UK (Intercooler, airbox, fuel pump, exhaust, ECU remapping)
      Big brakes AP Racing

Generally the easiest is to create some ducting to force air onto the discs.

Pads are designed to operate in a specific temperature range. Factory pads are designed to work as soon as you start the car cold, that's why they tend to go bad at the track. Race pads are designed to work at high temperatures, which is why they don't work when cold. Ideally you need a pad that's going to operate in the temperature range you are going to be using the in.
      -Sean

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements